What BOOK are you reading right now?

Swimpy

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
@sozobe,
I have to correct myself. I'm on the 7th. Blue Shoes and Happiness.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:23 pm
@farmerman,
that's something I can get into
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 03:24 pm
re-reading Elmore Leonard's Out Of Sight

Saw the movie and loved it-J Lo and Clooney had some chemistry

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3995/outofsight.jpg
Kara

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:35 pm
@panzade,
LOVED Out of Sight...the book and then the movie..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:51 pm
I am quite enjoying Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen (ha!) and Seth Grahame-Smith. It's like a cliff note version of P&P mixed with running a dry, ironic commentary about the priorities of the time. And, of course, it has zombies.

I bought it earlier this week and have been reading it ferociously. Today I got a new ThinkGeek catalogue and there it was for sale. I am geek-cool.

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/pride-and-prejudice-and-zombies.jpg
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:54 pm
@littlek,
bought through my audible account, it's my next listen
littlek

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:55 pm
@djjd62,
I am easily amused. But, this is a riot.
djjd62

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 04:56 pm
@littlek,
i saw it advertised near the beginning of the year and knew i had to have it
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:00 pm
@panzade,
I suspect I haven't read that one. Read a lot of Leonard, some time ago. Man can set up a scene..

I'm still really liking Lush Life by Price. It's gotten a little more ordinary with passing pages, but still has the attributes I raved about earlier. At any rate, it's a book I'll keep, for the writing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:00 pm
@djjd62,
At least me and the 14 year olds at school aren't alone.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:00 pm
http://kimbofo.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/snow.jpg

Very good, sometimes funny, sometimes hypnotic, often depressing.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:10 pm
@fbaezer,
I'm a Pamuk fan, have only read some good part of one book, Istanbul. I presume a new police procedural intervened..
anyway, I need to pick that up again, and.. order Snow, which I've read about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:21 pm
@sozobe,
On No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, I've read one of the books, and don't understand all the enthusiasm. I didn't hate it, which ever one it was, but (drifts away, eh). Does everyone like it for the window into the place? (I somewhat already have that window, family and friend associations, but of course it's a faraway view).

I cheerfully admit I've read hundreds of books, often mysteries, set in italy, for the sense of place. Christ, I even read a Dan Brown book once. And much of my reading in general is for sense of .. places.

So, not that I didn't like the book, but I don't get the avidity.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:28 pm
@Kara,
Kara, happy to see you in particular have a same/similar response. The book is kind of a thrill for me.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm reading them in order and I think that makes a difference. Don't know if you picked on up from the middle or not. Certainly you get the sense of place but I find the characters charming and the little mysteries engaging. It's definitely summer reading. Nothing too serious here.
sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:43 pm
@Swimpy,
Yep, agreed down the line. It's definitely light. The blurb on the cover of the series of paperbacks I've been getting from the library is "The Miss Marple of Botswana." It's a Miss Marple niche (but I finished every Miss Marple eons ago and have too good of a memory for books to re-do mysteries -- I remember whodidit 20 pages in). I do like the Botswana aspects too, but yeah, the characters and the little fillips ("oh, that was clever!") are the main attractions.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:44 pm
@Swimpy,
Hey Swimpy, maybe we can start a little Ladies' Detective Agency discussion. Might be more people who want to join in, and if not we can still talk about it. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:23 pm
@ossobuco,
To correct myself, a lot of my non-non fiction reading is in the realm of either travel writing or procedurals set in different countries, and once in a while, actual literature, as I fall upon it.

My immediate take on the detective agency thing was of a certain pallidity, weakness, packaged charm - or maybe it was simply spare. I'm not at all sure I'm right, but I felt a little blanketed with petunias. I can envision being wrong.

I write all this with absolutely no knowledge of the author and the writing of the books.
0 Replies

HealthAngel

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:53 am
I'm currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez...very interesting book, it's very detailed and nicely written.
Tryagain

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:25 am
Oh Angel, welcome to A2K; your youthfulness and vitality brings down the average age of an A2K’er to One Hundred Years of Solitude by about five minutes.

Although the title implies that the story spans one hundred years, it is unclear exactly how much time the narrative covers. This ambiguity contributes to the novel's treatment of time, as there is a notion that time lapses, repeats, changes speeds, or stops altogether at different parts of the story, and that all the events in some sense happen simultaneously.

The work crosses genres, combining elements of romance, history, and fantasy. The narrative style of the novel was especially praised and extensively studied"ostensibly objective but often manifestly ridiculous, it combined the writers experience as a journalist with the literary style of magical realism and extensive uses of metaphors and irony " I hate ironing!
0 Replies