What BOOK are you reading right now?

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 01:14 pm
Since Howl's Moving Castle, I've read:

a couple Pratchett books,
started a book for pre-teens called Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go (stopped early on),
Oddballs for school,
started Nothing to Fear for school,
near the end of a new Larry Niven (with Brenda Cooper) book called Building Harlequin's Moon
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:30 am
Idiot's Guide to NOT Getting Married in Vegas.

Bitter? Me?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:33 am
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/27330000/27339616.jpg

I bought this for my mother to give one of my daughters as a Xmas present. I'll read it, I guess....
hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:45 pm
I'm reading The Summer Book by Tove Janssen that I bought form Mrs Hinge on her last birthday and she loved it. The link will tell you more about it - I've only just started but it already has a certain peace to it. A young girl's mother dies and she moves in with her elderly grandmother lives on an island in a lake in Scandinavia. The author is more well know for her Moomin childrens books.

http://www.sortof.co.uk/Summer/images/Summer_cov-600.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:49 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
I lerve lerve lerve the Eloise books. I have a couple of them on permanent nightstand duty. They always make me happy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:52 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I'm reading The Summer Book by Tove Janssen that I bought form Mrs Hinge on her last birthday and she loved it. The link will tell you more about it - I've only just started but it already has a certain peace to it. A young girl's mother dies and she moves in with her elderly grandmother lives on an island in a lake in Scandinavia. The author is more well know for her Moomin childrens books.

http://www.sortof.co.uk/Summer/images/Summer_cov-600.jpg

cool, i'm re-reading to moomin books, comet in moominland and moominland midwinter

an i just picked up the 3rd volume of the moominland comic strips

hingehead

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:49 pm
@djjd62,
Deej, I remember seeing Moomin books but I've never read any. And you're freaking me out, there's way too much syzygy in our musical tastes, and now our reading tastes are overlapping, cue Twlight Zone theme!
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehbeth. I rented one of A M SMiths "LAdies det agency" books and it was read by a South AFrican actress. The words are drug out like Mma . is EMMM-MUH' RA MAT' SWAY and EMMM-Muh' Mu-Koot'-see. Ive read all the othger A M Smith Books and they arent nearly as entertaining. They are, in fact, rather stuffy.

"just rounded the final curve on "Hot Flat and Crowded" Friedmans "green Revolution appeal. Its alright but nothing thats new or even creative in there. Richard Leakeys "The Sixth Extinction" was far better
Its like Rodney Dangerfield at his doctor

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this with my arm"

"well, dont do that"

Good thing I got the book free. Its nowhere near the old
msolga

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 01:50 am
Finished Lullabies For Little Criminals. (Did you find it caused you to feel a bit down toward the end, Tai?) .... & have just started a Joyce Carol Oates novel, borrowd from the library: My Sister, My Love. To early to say much about it at this stage, but very different to the last of her novels I read.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 04:44 am
@djjd62,
Mooominland Midwinter is my favourite...I just donated all of the Moomintroll books to Amnesty (via a fete) and now you make me want to re-read them!!
yitwail

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 10:54 pm
lately, i've been reading all the John Connolly books i could get a hold of at the local libraries. so far, have read every dead thing, the white road, the black angel, and reapers. bad men might be next; after that, maybe reserve copies of dark hollow and the killing kind. love the combination of hard-boiled and metaphysical.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:25 pm
I'm now reading "The Cutting Edge" by Dr Robert Bodsky who I met during the Mexico Cruise last month, and spent many hours together with several others during the ten days. If you enjoy science, aeronautical and atomic, go to Amazon.com and order one. I'm just into the first ten pages that I started reading last nite.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The words are drug out like Mma . is EMMM-MUH' RA MAT' SWAY and EMMM-Muh' Mu-Koot'-see.

well that changes things entirely - I was trying to do a sort of Mumma thing and it made the read quite annoying. I'll re-read a chapter or two and see how it goes. I generally like these books, but that pronunciation thing was really bugging me.

Next book on my list ...

http://www.slate.com/id/2204140/pagenum/all

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gkfZbZ3vL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Quote:
Maria Balinska's lively and well-researched book, The Bagel: The Surprising History of a Modest Bread. Her book has filled in many of the questions I had about the bagel and raised new ones, too.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:28 pm
Two:
"A History of Histories" by John Burrow - an historian's examination of historians; the art of historical writing; and the central themes of the history of the Western World. Interesting and illuminating.

"Murder he Liked" by Nathan Cohn, a prominent (now 90 year old) San Francisco defense attorney and very colorful local character and acquaintance. Stories of his services to a wide variety of characters ranging from Robert Stroud (The Birdman of Alcatraz), to stripper Tempest Storm, musicians Billie Holiday & Duke Ellington, a variety of local political figures, and many others. A good read with lots of local color for San Franciscans.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:19 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Deej, I remember seeing Moomin books but I've never read any. And you're freaking me out, there's way too much syzygy in our musical tastes, and now our reading tastes are overlapping, cue Twlight Zone theme!

it's a good thing we live half a world away from each other, keeps the cosmic balance
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:23 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Mooominland Midwinter is my favourite...I just donated all of the Moomintroll books to Amnesty (via a fete) and now you make me want to re-read them!!

i've only ever read midwinter and comet, and i'd never seen the comic strips until i found the volume i bought, i may have to search out other volumes, the comics are really surreal, more so than the books in my opinion

0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:49 am
nothing right now. I have read all the books I have right now. Im trying to get in to NoN-Fiction though
Green Witch

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:54 am
@Seed,
Seed, try and find Studs Terkel's book on WWII.
Seed

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:06 pm
@Green Witch,
sounds awesome Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:40 pm
@Green Witch,
I read that many decades ago, and enjoyed his journalism writing style easy to read and understand.