What BOOK are you reading right now?

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:41 am
Interview with the Vampire, by Anne Rice. Sublime recommended it to me -- he's a sick boy.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
JPB wrote:
Interview with the Vampire, by Anne Rice. Sublime recommended it to me -- he's a sick boy.

I also had read that as well as 3 or 4 others by Anne Rice. (You probably know that Anne Rice lives in New Orleans.) I think her books are partly fascinating and partly silly. She is overly fascinated with sex, like many who were raised Catholic.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 09:03 am
Sex? Not in what I've read so far. Maybe I haven't gotten to the good parts yet. Razz

JW, Mr B is finishing up The Confederacy of Dunces. I'll bring it to you on Friday, if he's done with it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 09:07 am
JPB wrote:
JW, Mr B is finishing up The Confederacy of Dunces. I'll bring it to you on Friday, if he's done with it.

Thanks, JPB, I can meet you and the other Chicagoans whenever you decide to meet. (I am allowed flexibility for lunch time by my employer.)
0 Replies

TerryDoolittle

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 07:59 am
I read the Vampire Chronicles years ago and then the stories of the Mayfair Witches which precipitated a long love affair with the city of New Orleans. One of Anne Rice's homes in the Garden District is so perfectly described in her novels that I didn't even have to read the street signs to find the intersecton of First and Chestnut Streets.

Be careful, JPB, or you may find yourself tearing through all of Rice's books. You'll either love or hate them.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:46 pm
JPB wrote:

Twisted Evil You have to admit there is a lot of Nawlins'n in there.

They are fast fun reads, if you want to borrow any I am pretty sure I have the entire series around somewhere.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:52 pm
Ok, deal. I'd rather borrow them than buy the rest of the series. I have heard that the first one is not the best of the Chronicles. I get the heebie-jeebies everytime someone fills a wine glass with blood. Drunk
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:30 am
I'm reading the book by wandel's father "The German Dimension of American History" - nearly finished that - and "The Polite Tourist, four centuries of country house visiting" (by Adrian Tiniswood).

Getting fit me for my US-trip, you know. :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:53 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm reading the book by wandel's father "The German Dimension of American History" - nearly finished that - and "The Polite Tourist, four centuries of country house visiting" (by Adrian Tiniswood).

Getting fit me for my US-trip, you know. :wink:

And I, coincidentally, am reading "Scots in the USA". How parochial is that?

I'm also reading "The Pickwick Papers" by Charles Dickens. It's a good one to read before sleeping!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:01 am
The BBC "Book of the Week", an excerpt from which is read on the radio every day, this week is "Coral- A Pessimist in Paradise" written and also read by Steve Jones.

I've heard a couple of his readings this week as I was in my car with the radio on, and it's marvellous- so I'm going to try to buy a copy when I'm in town today.
On the BBC website you can play these broadcasts again, but I'm not sure if this facility works for those in the USA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/book_week.shtml
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 02:22 am
Me too, McT, I heard it driving around Staffs and really liked it. But I'm reading The Sanity Inspector by Alan Coren which I found in one of my friend's loos and got me chuckling.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:56 am
JPB wrote:
Mr B is finishing up The Confederacy of Dunces.

What does he think of it?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 03:19 pm
I thought it was hilarious, if that matters to anyone.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 03:22 pm

Kurt vonegut "Man without a country"

A great GREAT book. Short and sweet.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 03:25 pm
Heeven wrote:
JPB wrote:
Mr B is finishing up The Confederacy of Dunces.

What does he think of it?

He's enjoying it, Heeven. We spend a lot of time in NO and it was originally recommended to me by Gus, seconded by Gargamel. I liked it and handed it off to Mr B. Wandel is the next in line to get it when he's done. We'll be leaving for NO in a couple weeks and I'm sure he'll finish it while we're there.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 05:10 am
Amigo wrote:

Kurt vonegut "Man without a country"

A great GREAT book. Short and sweet.

I enjoyed it, Amigo. Unfortunately, much of it is very timely and topical and therefore will seem terribly dated in another 10 years or so. Or mybe not, who knows.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 05:25 am
Moby Dick Finally got a chance to read it. It wasn't required reading when I went to school.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:40 pm
Just finished "Tara Road" by Maeve Binchy. Been a while since I read one of hers and I enjoyed it. Nice light reading.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:45 pm
Chai wrote:
I just finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King, and really enjoyed it.

I think it was a wonderful portrayal how couples maintain their love over the years.

Like Scott and Lisey, my husband and I have so many catch phrases with each other, that wouldn't mean a thing to anyone else. Lately, because of the book, we've been telling each other "You're full of bad gunky" over anything that we don't agree on, and it both makes us laugh.

I'm sure he wrote this book with a mind toward his own mortality, and his wife Tabitha carrying on.

A lot of people who haven't even read King just toss him aside as that guy who writes that gory stuff. He's really not. I find him funny and witty. Whenever I sit down with a new book by him, it's like sitting down with an old friend. I know where he's coming from. I'm sad he won't be writing too many more books.

Has anyone else read this?

i'm about 2/3 through.
it started off slow, but like a lot of his novels, is gradually picking up steam.
at a certain point, i know it will become a can't-put-it down page-turner...
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:32 pm
I think I'm the only one who didn't like Lisey's Story, then.

I read it a few months back (after farmerman mentioned it). Since it is now many books ago, I'm left mostly with my overall sense that I thought it had some interesting ideas, but failed to deliver.

I finished it. Didn't completely hate all of it, but it's not one I'd recommend.

Just wound up lullabies for little criminals (a first novel) by Heather O'Neill. "Nicely done," I thought, as I closed the book, though the subject matter might not be for everyone. Very nearly stopped me from buying it.

There's a review on Amazon that panned it:

<snip>

Quote:
The summary is "a 12 year old girl from a broken home has various street adventures in Montreal".

I honestly don't think you can give much more to it than this. None of the "adventures" really lead up to anything. They're all sad little vignettes with a long stream of characters who appear and disappear and the only saving grace is that Baby herself is given a half-decent narrative voice.

amazon.ca

But I liked it despite that. The same reader/critic recommends A Complicated Kindness, instead, and I might agree with that having read both... if it was an either/or decision.

I'm starting Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander McCall Smith tonight.
0 Replies