shewolfnm

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:43 pm
Embarrassed

im so busted..

Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 06:03 pm
I just edited a Charles Dickens short story for my SPED kids and eliminated his narrative errors.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:57 pm
Here's a book I'd like to read, review in Slate:

In contrast to the reviewer, who is put off by the book at first, I've always rather liked O'Brien.

Edna O'Brien on mothers and daughters and more
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:26 am
Tino wrote:

I know I've posted about this one before but I was only half way through it then and nobody ever reads this thread anyway.

Hey-ey! Not so. I liked your analysis. Having never read it, can't say if I agree, but I read your comments with interest.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:35 am
Just finished "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke.
Didn't love it, didn't hate it either, sort of non-plussed about the book. It was long but I didn't really notice too much so something must have interested me to read it all the way through, but I ended up closing the book with no feeling of good or bad either way so .... guess I wouldn't highly recommend it.

Now I am reading Jodi Picoults "The Pact". I LOVED her other book "My Sisters Keeper" so I am looking forward to this one.

I need to read back on this whole thread and make a list of books I might want to read.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 06:46 pm
Heeven -- My daughter and her husband gave me Jpmathan Strange and I liked it a great deal. Found an error in one of Clarke's footnotes and emailed the publisher but no one responded.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:42 am
Just started for about the thenth time:

The Canterbury Tales
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 10:00 am
The Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett (brilliant)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 10:52 am
Wowee, a new Pratchett - great! Is it Discworld?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:45 am
plainoldme wrote:
Heeven -- My daughter and her husband gave me Jpmathan Strange and I liked it a great deal. Found an error in one of Clarke's footnotes and emailed the publisher but no one responded.

Yes we definitely have very different tastes.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 03:07 pm
Have been reading Living Up the Street by Gary Soto, a Mexican-American Baby Boomer born into an illiterate family who became an award-winning poet, author and college prof, with SPED ninth-graders. When you have to teach vocabulary prior to reading a book written on the 6th or 7th grade level, your spirits become very soggy, very quickly.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:29 pm
reading john mortimer's "clinging to the wreckage" right now .
it's an account of his own life - probably the first half of it .
it seems that 'rumpole of the bailey' was based quite a bit of his own experience of life and in the british courts - kind of crazy , but certainly enjoyable to read (i'm glad it wasn't my life !).
hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:41 pm
I bring elementary classes to the library so they can take out books once a week. While I was there yesterday, I took out a book myself. The series looks great: The Time Warp Trio. Three modern day kids get transported back in time to various stages in history and experience it first hand. Much like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. I've just started it, but it'll only take an evening to read. I can't wait to read them all!
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:11 am
I'm now reading a biography of the US soul singer Jackie Wilson by Tony Douglas called Lonely teardrops.

I'm on abit of a biography kick at the moment.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 11:40 am
Yes Clary it's a Discworld - and a witches one Very Happy Tiffancy Aching, Granny, the Wee Free Men et al - I loved it

As usual Amazon are doing it at a big reduction Very Happy

I do like Tiffany!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:12 pm
Vivien wrote:
The Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett (brilliant)

I'd missed this post - great news!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:38 pm
http://trashotron.com/agony/images/2004/04-news/07-26-04/mukherjee-tree_bride.jpg

omigawd it's fantastic

i was reading it on the subway on my way to a concert - i pulled it out of my knapsack and kept reading through the second half of the concert

fantastic!
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:36 pm
Joeblow wrote:
Tino wrote:

I know I've posted about this one before but I was only half way through it then and nobody ever reads this thread anyway.

Hey-ey! Not so. I liked your analysis. Having never read it, can't say if I agree, but I read your comments with interest.

Thankyou Joeblow [like the name!]. I didn't see your comment til I went back a page.

Thankyou!

Laughing
0 Replies