What BOOK are you reading right now?

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
Back when Jean M. Auel began her Earth's Children Saga, another novel about Early Man was published and the NYT reviewed them in tandem. Always intended to read the other, but it crumbled in the mists of time.

Have returned to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel.

Began researching my summer project: a novel!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:40 pm
Gargamel, that sounds great.

I'm going to try and track down a copy.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:58 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Gargamel, that sounds great.

I'm going to try and track down a copy.

I recommend it. It gets darker as it progresses, as the reader sees his own species, and all its ambition to exhaust nature, in early man.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 11:49 pm
Your gratuitious comment-"Racist"-when I posted the two books by Friedman is still not rationalized by you- Plain Ol Me. I have found that people with a plentiful lack of wit use the race card when they have nothing else in their brain to use.

There is nothing Racist about Friedman's books and I defy you to find that there is!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 10:26 am
BernardR wrote:
Your gratuitious comment-"Racist"-when I posted the two books by Friedman is still not rationalized by you- Plain Ol Me. I have found that people with a plentiful lack of wit use the race card when they have nothing else in their brain to use.

There is nothing Racist about Friedman's books and I defy you to find that there is!

Bernard -- PLEASE, TAKE A COURSE IN MEMORY DEVELOPMENT.

PEOPLE HAVE COMPLAINED TIME AND TIME AGAIN ABOUT YOUR COMPLETE INABILITY TO FOLLOW A THREAD.

YOU RESPONDED TO MY NOTATION ABOUT THE BOOK I HAD JUST PICKED UP -- WHICH, IF MORE WIDELY READ, WOULD MAKE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT ALL HUMANS HAVE A SINGLE MITROCHONRIAL EVE AS THEIR FEMALE ANCESTOR AND A SINGLE Y-CHROMOSOME TRACEABLE ADAM AS THEIR MALE ANCESTOR.

YOU PUT IN A RIGHT WING SCREED MASQUERADING AS A REVIEW THAT DENIGRATES THIS BOOK -- A RUNNER UP FOR THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARD AND A DISCOVER MAGAZINE SCIENCE BOOK OF THE YEAR -- BECAUSE IT STATES THE TRUTH THAT THERE IS A MITOCHONDRIAL EVE, A Y-CHROMOSOME ADAM AND A SINGLE AFRICAN GENESIS FOR MODERN HUMANS.

YOU CONSTANTLY TELL PEOPLE TO DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH WHILE DEMONSTRATING THAT YOU COULD IN NO WAY DO THE SAME BECAUSE YOU CAN NOT HOLD A SET OF WORDS IN YOUR MIND FOR A SUFFICIENT LENGTH OF TIME TO ACCOMPLISH ANY FACT FINDING.
0 Replies

supernerd1217

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
awesome!!
I am reading The Seventh Tower by Garth Nix. It is a really cool book.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:52 am
Instead of your blah-blah-blah, Plain ol me. why don't you just rebut the review I posted of the book you touted. Anxious to name call, you called me a racist instead of confronting the review.

Are you really a teacher?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:56 am
Plain Ol Me wrote_

BernardR -- Your racist and shallow review was out of place and does not match the tenor of this joyous thread.

WHICH RACIST AND SHALLOW REVIEW??

What does the pronoun "your" refer to?

Do you call yourself a teacher? How can you write such incomplete posts?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:00 am
Just finished The picture of Dorian Gray.Im lost for literature now.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:35 am
I'm in the middle of William Burroughs: a portrait : el hombre invisible by Barry Miles.

I read Barry Miles' biog of Allen Ginsberg some years ago and it was a couldn't put down read from start to finish, so I was terribly peeved to see this one in a store in Manchester when I didn't have enough cash to purchase, and even more peeved to find the copy had been sold when I returned to the store.

I've been looking out for it ever since, then finally got round to ordering it online, it has finally arrived, and, oh dear, it's just not the same... Crying or Very sad

I think half the trouble is that I cannot warm to Burroughs - the man - and I don't really understand why he is Miles's favourite beat author.

He just seems like a muddled and selfish junkie to me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:54 am
Simon Winchester's "A Crack at the End of the World". I dont like his writing style, its often merely convoluted without any apparent good reason, but his information is well documented.

Cannot Bernard even give the time and road reports without getting abusive?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:34 am
Certainly, Farmerman. I would like to recommend a book which I believe is one of the most important books of the last ten years--"The Blank Slate" by the brilliant Scholar of Psychology, Steven Pinker.

Professor Pinker, the author of the magnificent "How the Mind Works" explores the idea of human nature and its moral, political and emotional colorings in "The Blank Slate"

The Theory of the Blank Slate is the idea that the human mind has no inherent structure and can be inscribed at will by society or ourselves.

Dr. Pinker destroys this fallacy in 450 wonderful pages!!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:25 am
BernardR wrote:
Instead of your blah-blah-blah, Plain ol me. why don't you just rebut the review I posted of the book you touted. Anxious to name call, you called me a racist instead of confronting the review.

Are you really a teacher?

Wow! Look at the pot calling the kettle! THe original name caller, the man who was banned from abuzz multiple times for name calling and who, as result, used a host of fake names.

Hey. Demonstrate that you can follow a thread.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:30 am
material girl wrote:
Just finished The picture of Dorian Gray.Im lost for literature now.

material girl -- I happened to see the old movie, with Hurd HAtfield and Donna Reed, just last week. I loved the picture as a "tweenager" but found it unbearable today. I read the book not long after seeing the movie. I gave it to my two older kids to read when they were about 10 or 12 and they enjoyed it. Wilde is fun.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:41 pm
a book about metabolic syndrome

The Metabolic Syndrome Program : How to Lose Weight, Beat Heart Disease, Stop Insulin Resistance and More

and

Chronicles of Narnia
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:57 pm
Plain Ol Me says:

Wow! Look at the pot calling the kettle! THe original name caller, the man who was banned from abuzz multiple times for name calling and who, as result, used a host of fake names.
That just shows how ignorant and clueless you are. I have never been on Abuzz.

But I do think your cow avatar is priceless--It fits you!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:29 pm
farmerman wrote:
Simon Winchester's "A Crack at the End of the World". I dont like his writing style, its often merely convoluted without any apparent good reason, but his information is well documented.

Cannot Bernard even give the time and road reports without getting abusive?

What is that book about, Farmerman?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:08 pm
I agree with Farmerman that the book is convoluted, but I enjoyed parts of it. I could hardly restrain my imagination as to what would happen in the San Francisco gay bars when the big one hit!!!!
0 Replies

beingblessbyhim

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 05:54 pm
RISE: REJOICING IN SPIRITUAL EVIDENCE
I Recently read RISE: Rejoicing in Spiritual Evidence by PJ Coble and I was inspired by it. I received it as a gift from a friend in NYC and I read during my flight to Australier and I could not stop reading it. I read it in one sitting and I highly recommend it. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:34 pm
Haven't followed all 278 pages of this thread so I apologise.

I am reading Wuthering Heights for the first time ever. I can't believe I made it through three years as an English major without having ever read this book.

To be fair, the person who recommended it to me (another student in the English Department at my school) claims that he loves 20th Century American Literature and has never read The Catcher in the Rye or The Great Gatsby! I was astonished. I guess it just goes to show that there is just so much to read and not enough time.

Every May I make a list of books to read over the summer that will help me become more "well-read". Inevitably, I fail to even come close to my goal. After my stint with the Bronte sisters (I may read Jane Eyre as well), I think I am going to read a good mystery novel!
0 Replies