What BOOK are you reading right now?

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:36 pm
The Power of Their Ideas: Lessons For Ameica From a Small School in Harlem, by Deborah Meier. For my first class.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 06:51 am
Hey, that sounds very interesting, k! Can you tell us a bit about it?
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:55 pm
Lexus and the Olive Tree - Freidman
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:06 pm
I am about 100 pages into David Copperfield. I am ashamed to admit I have never read this particular Dickens novel, but for some reason, over the years, the novel has evaded me.

Mr. Creakle is fast becoming a favorite of mine.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:20 pm
Who Wrote The Book Of Love?
The Monotones
Joking aside, I'm reading another SF book, it's pretty much all I read
You can get pretty much anything in SF from soup to nuts
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:59 pm
I like Sci Fi, too.

MsOlga, I haven't gotten very far (I am procrastinating!). The book encorperates the thoughts and essays of one women who has been a teacher for 30 years, or so. She was involved with starting up a small public school in harlem (NY) in the mid-70s. She continues to work to establish a similar school here in Boston. Her goal was to build school environments where students would learn how to think on their own, be creative and confident. She writes that educating kids to be independent thinkers makes for a stronger society and that the public school system is the only place where that can work on an equalateral basis.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:20 pm
Great! To learn how to think on their own, be creative and confident. That's the best.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:22 pm
I agree, Chum!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 05:46 am
Thanks for telling us what the book's about, k. I'm a long-time supporter of the public education system here in Oz, starved of funds & support though it is. So I'm a sucker for those sorts of personal accounts. Especially if the achievements seem real & believable & not too super-human!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 10:31 pm
I could send the book when my course is over!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 01:41 am
OoooooooooooH, that would be nice, k! Very Happy
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:13 am
on the last few pages of Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold).
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 05:46 pm
"If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of a B Movie Actor" by Bruce Campbell

Its hillarious!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:01 pm
I'm about a third the way through "Yes Man" by Danny Wallace.

Hilarious!

Basically, he makes a pact with himself to say yes to every offer and opportunity that comes his way, for a whole year.

From the review...."and Danny did. In the months that followed, he won £25000. He met Buddhist monks, alien obsessives and the worlds only hypnotic dog. He became a minister, an inventor, a minor television personality and an accidental peace activist. He ended up in Singapore, in Amsterdam and in a small mining town in south Wales, he lost £25000..."

Thoroughly enjoyable so far.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:17 pm
A text book I found in a second hand store....Democracy Under Pressure; An Introduction to the American Political System.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:11 pm
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

So far... so good...
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 08:03 am
The Other Side of Me - autobiography of Sidney Sheldon
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:15 am
What BOOK are you reading right now?
I've just started reading...

Sparks of Genius: The Thirteen Thinking Tools of the World's Most Creative People

by Robert & Michèle Root-Bernstein

Excerpts:

Our tour of mental cookery begins in the kitchen of the mind, where ideas are marinated, stewed, braised, beaten, baked, and whipped into shape. Just as real chefs surprise us by throwing in a pinch of this and a handful of something else, the kitchens of the creative imagination are full of unexpected practices. Great ideas arise in the strangest ways and are blended from the oddest ingredients. What goes into the recipes often bears no resemblance to the finished dish. Sometimes the master mental chef can't even explain how she knows that her dish will be tasty. She just has a gut feeling that this imagined mixture of ingredients will yield a delicious surprise.

Gut feelings don't make obvious sense. Consider, for example, the experience of young Barbara McClintock, who would later earn a Nobel Prize in genetics. One day in 1930 she stood with a group of scientists in the corn fields around Cornell University, pondering the results of a genetics experiment. The researchers had expected that half of the corn would produce sterile pollen, but less than a third of it actually had. The difference was significant, and McClintock was so disturbed that she left the cornfield and climbed the hill to her laboratory, where she could sit alone and think.

Half an hour later, she "jumped up and ran down to the field. At the top of the field (everyone else was down at the bottom) I shouted, 'Eureka, I have it! I have the answer! I know what this 30 percent sterility is.'" Her colleagues naturally said, "Prove it." Then she found she had no idea how to explain her insight. Many decades later, McClintock said, "When you suddenly see the problem, something happens that you have the answer - before you are able to put it into words. It is all done subconsciously. This has happened many times to me, and I know when to take it seriously. I'm so absolutely sure. I don't talk about it, I don't have to tell anybody about it, I'm just sure this is it."

This feeling of knowing without being able to say how one knows is common. The French philosopher and mathematician Blaise Pascal is famous for his aphorism "The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know."

(pages 1-2)

Gut feelings, emotions, and imaginative images do make sense in science, but, like the meaning of a dance or musical theme, that sense is felt rather than defined. - page 4-5

To think creatively is first to feel. The desire to understand must be whipped together with sensual and emotional feelings and blended with intellect to yield imaginative insight. - page 6

As we will show in subsequent chapters of this book, if you can't imagine, you can't invent. "Illusion," as Pulitzer-Prize-winning author and artist Paul Horgan has written, "is first of all needed to find the powers of which the self is capable." If you can't conceive of things that don't exist, you can't create anything new. If you can't dream up worlds that might be, then you are limited to the worlds other people describe. You see reality through their eyes, not your own. - page 22

(On Algebraic versus Geometric Thinking)

What are we to understand by Faynman's statement that he treated algebra problems geometrically and Hoyle's that he treated geometric problems algebraically? A concrete example may help.

A classic word problem concerns a man rowing a boat when his hat falls into the river, which is flowing at 3 kilometers per hour downstream. He is rowing upstream 2 km per hour faster than the stream is taking him down. He discovers his hat is missing one half-hour after it has fallen in the river. If he turns around and rows back at the same speed relative to the river to fetch his hat, how long will it take to catch up to it?

(page 68)

Wisp

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:45 pm
I am just finished the book by Garth Nix, Shade's Children.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:05 pm
HickoryStick wrote:
"If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of a B Movie Actor" by Bruce Campbell

Its hillarious!

The guy from Evil Dead???
0 Replies