What BOOK are you reading right now?

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 04:33 pm
right now i am reading
the bell jar by sylvia plath
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 09:31 pm
I have just finished one crime procedural tale put out by Soho Press and am starting another. Two different authors, two different settings, moods, styles - it's something of a reading roller coaster, and I like both books.

This one had me casting the characters early as David Niven, Cary Grant, et al.. It starts out with a description of the sinking of the Lusitania that I found riveting. The general setting is on the ship Mauretania, 1921.

The False Inspector Dew by Peter Lovesey

and then, for something completely different, this is about a Carlos Tejada Alonso y Leon investigation set in Madrid in 1939, just after Franco comes to power.

Death of a Nationalist by Rebecca Pawel
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:39 am
Emma by Jane Austen
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 10:55 am
The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard. I am on page 20, have already near memorized sentences... surely will use one or another for a signature quote. I see by doing an a2k search that Bree has read a few of her books, including this one.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 11:38 am
Ossobuco:

Just read several reviews of The Great Fire and just ordered it! Thanks!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 11:42 am
You're welcome!
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:23 pm
Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry. need help with an essay on it.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:09 am
Tom Clancy's Net Force:Springboard.

I'm having my wife send me the rest of the Dark Tower series and the entire Harry Potter series.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:00 pm
I just started "Truth" by Al Franken. I needed a good laugh!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 08:58 am
I'm reading The Fan Man by William Kotzwinkle.

Here's an example of it's awesomeness:

"I'm in my little pad, man, looking around. It's the nicest pad I ever had, man, and I'm getting another one just like it down the hall. Two pads, man. The rent will be high, but it's not so bad if you don't pay it. And with two pads, man, I will have room to rehearse the Love Chorus, man, and we will sing our holy music and record it on my batter-powered portable falling-apart Japanese tape recorder with the corroded worn-out batteries, man, and when we play it back and listen to it we will not be able to hear it. How wonderful, man."
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:57 pm
My Name Is Red
Orhan Pamuk

Strange fable set in Istanbul 1590s. I'm enjoying it slowly.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:57 am
The Warlords of Nin (from the Dragon King Trilogy)

and

The Pocket Voltaire
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:59 am
Well with both "Handmaids Tale" and "Consciousness Plague" almost done, it's time for me to plan my NEXT move.

I think I'm take the next two months and explore poetry a bit.

This is actually from an odd thing I noticed--I write poetry, but don't read it much. I hope to change this!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 07:04 am
NeoGuin wrote:
This is actually from an odd thing I noticed--I write poetry, but don't read it much. I hope to change this!

i think that is just the way of things. i know a lot of people that are that way.
0 Replies

eliana09

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:20 am
11 minutes by Coelho

Enigma Otiliei (romaian book and it means Otilia's Mistery or soemthing like that)

Scarlett by Ripley

and I'm trying to read Phantom of the Opera all the same
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:37 am
Well
onyxelle wrote:
NeoGuin wrote:

i think that is just the way of things. i know a lot of people that are that way.

I am gonna change this!

I returned "Handmaids Tale", re-checked out 'Tis so I can finsh that and will be starting a look at some poetry--starting with some of the classics; Dickinson, Poe, etc.

Then go on to more contemporary stuff.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 11:33 am
I was browzing in a bookstore last week and came across - A Child Called "It" - by David Pelzer. On reading the cover, I discovered there was a second follow-up book called - The Lost Boy - and a third called - A Man Named Dave. I read all three and was genuinely touched to see a little piece of what an abused child goes through. It shone a light on the appreciation that is very rarely shown to social workers and foster parents. Made me want to anonymously drop off a gift to someone. Inspiring.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:47 pm
That was a brilliant book, the first one - heart rending; I heard him talk about it on a radio show. Fantastic that he's come through it to write about it.

I'm reading Norwegian Wood by (someone) Murakami, a bittersweet Japanese tale of adolescence and love and walking in Tokyo and mental illness.. well written, or at least, well translated I suppose.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:09 pm
Quote:

I've found you can't realy, truly appriciate reading poetry until you've writting little yourself, or at least experimented.

By the way, I'm reading Robert Jordan's Lord of Chaos, the sixth installment in the Wheel of Time series. I'm ploughing through the giant of a series at a fairly good pace, but it's alot of reading.

Also, I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I had been wanting to read it for some time, but it was, luckily, forced upon my as a school assignment, and I couldn't put the book down. I read the whole thing in a couple days, of course, and now I have to restrain myself from classroom discussion 'till everybody catches up --absolutely great read though. Very Happy
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:31 pm
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

That was one of the best books I've ever read. It was amazing.
0 Replies