Martian Caves Discovered

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:13 am
Caves

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., Sept. 24 (UPI) -- NASA spacecraft have detected entrances to seven possible caves near a Martian volcano, increasing interest in that planet's possible underground habitats.

Very dark, nearly circular features as large as 820 feet in diameter puzzled researchers who found them in images taken by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Mars Odyssey and Mars Global Surveyor orbiters. Using infrared imaging, NASA scientists concluded the circular features might be openings to cavernous spaces beneath the planet's service.

"They are cooler than the surrounding surface in the day and warmer at night," said Glen Cushing of Northern Arizona University and a member of the U.S. Geological Survey's Astrogeology Team. "Their thermal behavior is not as steady as large caves on Earth that often maintain a fairly constant temperature, but it is consistent with these being deep holes in the ground."

A report of the discovery of the possible cave skylights by Cushing and his colleagues was published online recently by the journal Geophysical Research
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,679 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:06 pm
This was first published a while back (a couple months?). I wish we knew more by now!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:12 pm
So that is where the little buggers are hiding.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 08:25 pm
The information goes back to mid March of this year. Would be nice to get further reports.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 08:27 pm
While the news is a bit dated, I don't recall any threads on it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 08:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
While the news is a bit dated, I don't recall any threads on it.

I do find that strange given the fascinating aspect of the information.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:01 am
John Carter is investigating.

http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Mars-John-Carter-Warlord/dp/0743498534/ref=sr_1_1/102-5805506-0965726?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190901653&sr=8-1
0 Replies

averner

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:03 am
can't we use some sort of sonic sensor (the kind used for oceanography) next time a craft goes to Mars to tell if there are lifeforms? Or does it work poorly through ground?
0 Replies