RCA television shuts itself off

marse

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 01:48 pm
I bought an RCA color television at a garage sale. It works great... for about 15 minutes. Then it turns itself off and won't come back on until several hours have passed. It's as though it gets tired and has to take a rest. Does anyone have any thoughts on what's wrong with it? It's a 25 inch, color, model number F25190SE, manufactured in Feb 1993.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 10,224 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:01 pm
Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on what's wrong with it?

It's "broken". You found out why it was at a garage sale. TVs are not something you can fix yourself. Sounds like a component is OK when cold but is breaking down when it warms up, so the protection circuitry trips. This is so you don't have a fire. TVs are complex electronic devices with hundreds of components in them. Also dangerous voltages that could kill you. Troubleshooting them is a skilled job that needs 1000's of $$$ worth of test gear. Parts are expensive or hard to find for older sets. If a 1993 set is on its original picture tube it won't last a lot longer. Anyway, fixing it would cost more than it is worth.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:37 pm
I would look at it as a sign to go to the library and get a good book to read when you aren't watching tv.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 02:51 pm
Try taking it apart and (carefully) blowing all the dust off of the stuff inside. Try not to touch anything as there may be capacitors holding charges that could give you a real jolt (while probably not deadly, you might wish you were).
0 Replies

abigailbardwell

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:48 pm
@marse,
did you ever figure this out? i am having the same problem.
parados

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 07:32 am
@abigailbardwell,
If it works for a while and then stops, it is probably a heat issue in that an electronic component is failing when it overheats.

cjhsa's suggestion of blowing the dust off is the best one you could do yourself since dust could be preventing a component from cooling like it normally would.

If that doesn't do it, then you can either take a course in TV repair, have someone else repair it, or sell it at your garage sale.
scanlonl1

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:24 pm
@parados,
tvrepairworld.com has all the repair info you need on these tvs. Mine was doing the turning itself off thing, then the convergence went out. I went on their website and bought a $30 repair kit and resurrected my tv! saved me thousands.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 12:19 am
The convergence? What century did you buy this TV? The 18th? Personally I think the above post is spam.
0 Replies