New British "miricle" device creates energy?

DrewDad

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 11:33 am
How this 12inch miracle tube could halve heating bills

Quote:
Amazing British invention creates MORE energy than you put into it - and could soon be warming your home

Last updated at 21:09pm on 15th September 2007

Comments (5)

It sounds too good to be true - not to mention the fact that it violates almost every known law of physics.

But British scientists claim they have invented a revolutionary device that seems to 'create' energy from virtually nothing.

Their so-called thermal energy cell could soon be fitted into ordinary homes, halving domestic heating bills and making a major contribution towards cutting carbon emissions.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,534 • Replies: 21
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 11:54 am
Well..... is it fer real?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 12:16 pm
2 questions.
1. Is the secret component depleted over time?
2. How much energy does it take to make the secret component?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 01:13 pm
parados wrote:
2 questions.
1. Is the secret component depleted over time?

Yeah, I wondered that myself.

parados wrote:
2. How much energy does it take to make the secret component?

Well, I assume they've factored that into the cost of the device and that they won't be selling it for a loss.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 01:55 pm
As a physicist, I'm pretty sure this is a scam, or at least a serious case of dishonest salesmanship. My most charitable interpretation of the article's technical drawing is this. The electrical current triggers an exothermic chemical reaction within the secret soup through which it flows. (See item 2 of the drawing). While this chemical reaction is running, the device will leverage its energy, "miraculously" producing an amount of thermal power greater than the electrical power you put in. But this chemical reaction, just like any other, will eventually run out of reagents to sustain it. And when it does, you'll need a refill of secret soup to keep the magic reaction working.

Somehow I sense that this refill will be much more expensive than the electrical energy it saves.

Moreover, did you notice that none of the academic testers says how long they've run the device in their tests? Somehow, I sense that they were too lazy to let it run long enough for the chemical reaction to complete. I bet that's why the producers got away with their dishonest salesmanship.

Edit: I'm just noticing that Parados made my point more shortly and crisply than I did, and before I did.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 10:12 pm
Re: New British "miricle" device creates energy?
DrewDad wrote:
How this 12inch miracle tube could halve heating bills
Quote:
Amazing British invention creates MORE energy than you put into it

Impossible.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 10:25 pm
The Article wrote:
"Electric current passes between the cathode and anode causing a reaction in the mixture of Water, Potash and the secret catalyst, generating heat"

Secret Catalyst... give me a break.

Energy from chemical reactions are nothing new. Here's a secret catalyst for ya: Gasoline (otherwise known as FUEL).

Someone give these people a patent, they discovered fuel.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:17 am
So how about if "the magic soup" converts electricity in a more efficient manner than currently available?

PS Sounds like a scam to me but I'm open to new technologies.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:39 am
dadpad wrote:
So how about if "the magic soup" converts electricity in a more efficient manner than currently available?

That still wouldn't explain the alleged miracle, for two reasons.

1) Greater efficiency would not explain why you get more power out of the device in heat than you put into it in electricity.

2) Generating heat from electrical power is a very efficient process anyway. Indeed, in most fields of engineering, a major task is to avoid the generation of heat to create more electrical, magnetical, mechanical etc. energy instead. The efficiency of heat generation being close to 100% already, I very much doubt that great advances are still possible there.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 07:17 am
The radiation hazard might be a barrier to entering the market....

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 07:31 am
dadpad wrote:

The article wrote:
researchers believe it taps into a previously unrecognised source of energy, stored at a sub-atomic level within the hydrogen atoms in water.

Someone in the article is 'guessing' that they are extracting energy from sub-atomic bonds, but I have my doubts that they could accidentally stumble across "cold fission" without understanding how they are doing it.

Also, even if they really are getting energy from the atomic bonds, then they are NOT getting more energy out than went in, they are simply tapping an atomic energy source. That of course, would be radically amazing in itself, but it wouldn't break the known laws of physics.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 07:50 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Someone in the article is 'guessing' that they are extracting energy from sub-atomic bonds, but I have my doubts that they could accidentally stumble across "cold fission" without understanding how they are doing it.

And even if they could, they wouldn't be publishing it in the Daily Mirror. They'd be publishing it in Science or Nature. After all, the discovery of cold fusion, even if you just stumble over it, is a certain Nobel Prize.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 07:54 am
Thomas wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

And even if they could, they wouldn't be publishing it in the Daily Mirror. They'd be publishing it in Science or Nature. After all, the discovery of cold fusion, even if you just stumble over it, is a certain Nobel Prize.

Right.

At best, I would think that they may have found a lower cost fuel. This "secret ingredient based on chromium" thing may produce heat (my metal-infused dry hand warmer packets for skiing produce heat), but I'm sure it costs money to buy the fuel. The real challenge regarding energy production always comes down to cost. It's an economic problem.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:09 am
bm
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 05:39 pm
It's called Gordon Brown.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 05:42 pm
The English invented this long before. Pass cold air over Spendius and hot air comes out.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 05:48 pm
Well he does have a device that seems to 'create' energy from virtually nothing. It's his gob.

Calculate the energy required to assert that we should all work harder and compare it to the energy of us all saying yes sir.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 03:10 pm
Thomas wrote:
As a physicist, I'm pretty sure this is a scam,...

I'd tend to agree. There is no magic or any violations of physical laws in the real world.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 03:29 pm
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke,
0 Replies

averner

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:42 pm
Also, physical laws are drawn from we observed thus far.. who said we won't observe anything different?
0 Replies