Colossus No. 112 - Cryptic

LissyVH

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 05:37 pm
Hi again.

46A. Use Leverage to get award, we hear (5). I Have P?I?E.

Is it prise or prize.

Hate these damn things sometimes.

Melissa
Central Coast
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 600 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:43 pm
Hi Melissa

I have gone for "prize" an alternative for "award". I would have gone for "prise" if the the word leverage had been "lever".

Hope this help.
btw. Have a nice party.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 06:20 pm
Rarely can anyone have challenged the crossword genius that is Dutchy without getting egg on their face, so I may be stepping in rashly here, but I think it is PRISE. It looks like a classic two part cryptic (definition and word make-up) and I think that "Use leverage" is the definition, which would be PRISE. "Get award we hear" is the classic "sounds like" clue, which means it would sound like prize.

Sorry to argue, Dutchy, but perhaps you'll PM me when the answers are out to let me know if my face needs washing!!!
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:57 pm
Oh dear, this has put a cat among the pigeons!

I had PRIZE; (going by the two part definition) Use leverage (Prise) to get award (to reach what we are seeking - the Prize) which sounds the same.

But I can see Tufdevil's interpretation as well. I will think about this over the next few days and if I come up with a stronger argument either way I will get back to you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:05 pm
Tufdevil wrote:
Rarely can anyone have challenged the crossword genius that is Dutchy

If you'd 'sat in his lap' (in joke) you'd show a tad more insouciance, however, Dutchy's answer is correct for the wrong reason in my opinion, as explained by lezzles. The key word is USE not whether it's leverage or lever.
0 Replies