Scanning a whole book

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:20 pm
Scanning a whole book
Yes, some places can give you a lot of static if you ask them to copy even a page, let alone a whole book. Our local Kinkos' is perfectly happy to let you do it yourself, page by page, but won't handle it themselves.

Try: Amazon.com
Tomfolio.com
Brattle Book Shop.com
BookFinder.com
Booksamillion.com

I'm sure there are many others: try googling things like "books - out of print" or "bookstores, secondhand"
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:55 pm
soz wrote :

Quote:
The one I wanted last year is available for $287 now (it was $400+ at the time) on Amazon.

better make sure it is a RELIABLE dealer who is selling it on amazon !
modern photography just reported on a test they did buying "inexpensive" memory-sticks through amazon - half of them were cheap and unreliable knock-offs ! (even though some of those sites showed great customer satisfaction - apparently the "satisfaction" can be faked !) .
BUYER BEWARE !
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 06:10 am
E.G. is the king of Google; if it's available online, he would've found it. He didn't find it. (Thanks for the suggestions though!)

Good point about Amazon, hamburger.
0 Replies

Blacky87

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 07:54 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
EDIT: actually, only two. One I really lost (left in Slovenia) and other I just simply had to keep. It was a travelogue of a family friend in English, out of print and all. I did agonize over it ... but since nobody checked it out of the library in years I figured itwould have a better home with me.

I love this theory and i must admit i have done the same. If i find a book in the library that i really want to keep i just forget to give it back and i pay the fine. It's almost like paying for the book itself and if it isn't a really popular book then why not? If it can have a better home with you then give it a better home. Who wants to sit on a shelf gathering dust watching the younger more hip books been taken out?

Not me. So.... <wink> forget you have it.
0 Replies