Scanning a whole book

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:14 am
My husband recently found an old and rare book that is mostly about his great-grandfather, complete with photos. The book is so old and rare that he hasn't been able to find it for sale anywhere. He did find it at the University library, though.

So he has the book, but it's due back next week. He'd like to keep it in some form -- there is lots of fascinating information in it, and great pictures.

We have a minimally-OK scanner -- it always scans dark. It also would take a long time to scan the book. It's about 100-150 pages.

I'm sure Kinko's or something has an option but thought I'd start my inquiry here. Particularly, I'm concerned that no professional will scan the whole book because of copyright issues.

The book was published in 1967.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,028 • Replies: 23
No top replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:35 am
Kinko's would be my suggestion, also. There are large scale scanners that do many pages really fast, but I think the book would have to be all loose pages.

You may be able to just buy a copy at alibris. Its a decent site, although they don't have everything. I hope that doesn't seem like I'm advertising or anything, I just know that I've found old stuff there that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Good luck, its wonderful to preserve history!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:06 am
Ahem! <checks birth certificate>

1967 is hardly old Soz.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:22 am
I'v copied more than one book with more than 150 pages - esecially those, which weren't allowed t go outside the universiy lbrary - at the university.

That shoudn't be difficult for your husband as well, especially when using colour copies ... and his copy-card. :wink:

(150 pages doesn't take that very long all.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:50 am
He wants to do a high-resolution scan, rather than photocopy -- were you referring to the latter, Walter?

Is TOO old, dadpad! For a book anyway.

Thanks, EmilyGreen, but he (my husband) has already searched online, including alibris. It's a really obscure book, unfortunately.
0 Replies

averner

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:55 am
Hmm, about his great grandfather? Sounds like your husband is a descendant of some famous person!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:57 am
As far as Kinkos, you might have some difficulties with them.

In the past I've used them for big copying projects and I've gotten a couple of people who stand there and go through every single page, putting tags on what they don't want to copy.

I've had to argue with them about stuff that was my companies own property with this one woman who worked there. She was on a real power trip.

That's just my experience.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:30 am
sozobe wrote:
He wants to do a high-resolution scan, rather than photocopy -- were you referring to the latter, Walter?

Photo. Actually macro-photos.
An example from one of my own older books:

just to show the seize (17'' moitor)

http://i6.tinypic.com/53jtgut.jpg

You could print this up to the seize of 12x17 inch withou ay difficlties:

http://i4.tinypic.com/6apokzt.jpg

(I could lend my camera and the lenses ... :wink: )
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:36 am
Soz, i have 'lost' a few books from the library. It used to be $50 (now I think it's 100) Embarrassed I'm of course not suggesting anything, just saying i could not return a few books to the library in my lifetime.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:38 am
EDIT: actually, only two. One I really lost (left in Slovenia) and other I just simply had to keep. It was a travelogue of a family friend in English, out of print and all. I did agonize over it ... but since nobody checked it out of the library in years I figured itwould have a better home with me.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:01 am
I think Walter's right -- unless you just keep the book, high-res photos are going to be fastest (maybe even faster than photocopying).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:02 am
OK, so how do I get the high-res photos without the high-res camera? (I guess I could take Walter up on his offer... :-D)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:10 am
Walter could be on the right track...

It might be cheaper and easier to just take decent resolution digital pictures.

A bright light, a book stand, and a 3 meg or more camera on a tripod.

You probably aren't going to want the entire book at more than 150 dpi if you scan it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:11 am
And the 3 meg or more camera comes from....?

(I have a regular 35 mm.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:19 am
For about $100 you can get a 5 mpixel or more camera (Try Newegg).

It will get you a book and thousands of pictures of sozelet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:23 am
Hey, now we're talking!

$138 Canon Powershot... now I need to go back and find my old thread about digital cameras...

Is that crazy-cheap or just what they go for these days?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:26 am
We got a perfectly adequate one (I don't know about these things -- 5.? megs, 6.? megs?) for a couple of hundred bucks worth of credit card points a couple of years ago. (It's a Kodak, I think.) And it's the nature of these things to get dramatically cheaper and/or better over the course of 2 years...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:27 am
OK, as of a year ago I wanted the Canon PowerShot S3 IS. This one is a Canon PowerShot A560.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120193

Can anyone tell me if they're significantly different? (This thread may go a whole new direction! I've wanted a digital camera forever...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 11:34 am
The one I wanted last year is available for $287 now (it was $400+ at the time) on Amazon. And the same camera (Canon PowerShot A560) is available there for $136 plus free shipping.

$136! Wow.

Now I have to decide if I'd want to go cheap and adequate and get it over with (I've been looking for a digital in that range for a long, long, LONG time), or pay double for the one I'd ID'ed as being just what I wanted.

This is promising though, thanks.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 06:12 pm
Scanning a whole book
Sozobe - live it up! Get the camera you've been wanting for so long.
0 Replies