Cellular phones & TDMA, GSM or GAIT multi network

quinn1

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 04:15 pm
What is the difference really between all these phones?
Is it just the advance in technology?
Is it reception/transmission?
Is it batterys?
Combination of all of the above?

I currently have a TDMA that really either needs to be replaced completely or I have to find a new battery/charger, etc. This phone was upgraded from the ancient analog phone of the mid 90's.
I also have had problems with this since I live in a black hole of sorts and had to add an external antenna so I can actually use the phone in the area of my home.

What I think is that either I go all the way here and get the multi network fully digital phone and still have to use the antenna but, Ill get all the bells and whistles with a better battery or do I go with the mid range here GSM with some bells and whistles?
I can get the same cost of a plan Im on now with more minutes, more area, and both phones would cost me the same amount.

Im perplexed.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,523 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 09:21 pm
Sorry Quinn, I'm still back in the chisel and stone age. I've never used a pager or cellular phone. I'm embarrassed to say that the extent of my experience with new fangled telephone technology only goes as far as the old wireless telephones that had to be used within a small radius of their antenna base.

I'll do some Googling and see if I can come up with any info for you.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 11:46 am
I've basically given up for the moment and wonder why I ever got into the technical side of it anyway however, at some point i would like to have a better understanding of it all.
Thanks for checkin in butterflynet
0 Replies

SEUS2

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:38 am
right network type for you?
Point 1: GSM and all the other types of networks available CDMA, TDMA etc.. are all digital no mobile phone in Australia is analogue any more and I presume in the USA as well.

Point 2: For just making calls and text messaging none of these networks have benefits over the other. But in cases where mobile internet(WAP) is to be used then some network types don't support it or are very slow.

Point 3: The right network for you depends on whether you need to use mobile internet or other data sending over the network. If you do not need these services then the right network for you depends on which operator has the most network coverage in the places you need to use the phone most e.g. at home/work and what network type they use.
0 Replies