Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 04:59 pm
What is the deal with them? Are the ad folks trying to irritate the spiderphobic? appeal to spider lovers? are they all devised by boys with childhood spider collections? James Bond movie fans?

I have to gear myself up to look at the spiders head on, as they scamper around web pages, or scroll as fast as possible to get away from them. And I'm not a complete spider phobe, just a semi-one.

I had massive allergic swelling around spider bites as a kid (and, yes, I have read that the number of childhood spider bites are exaggerated), and been grossed out as a small girl by some relative - Uncle Eric - who brought a big tarantula in a glass jar when he visited us when we lived at my aunt's house. The combo of him and the spider really did it for me.

As an older adult, I'll leave room that he wasn't evil incarnate. But, I could paint a picture of that kitchen and him and the spider in it, even now.

Opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,011 • Replies: 1
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:15 pm
It captures attention.

In a day where ads are everywhere, even in the design of our toilet tissue , people have to stand out. We are at the point where we just miss probably 60% or more of the ads we see ( billboards, signs, paper ads , email etc..)
Playing on fears or fantasies is a great way to do that.
0 Replies