Verizon FiOS

gollum

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:09 pm
I understand that Verizon is advertising something called Verizon FiOS as offering faster Internet service and clearer phone calls.

Is it really better?

Does it have any disadvantages?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,029 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
In order for you to benefit from Fiber Optics connection depends on whether or not your area is wired for it. you need to check with Verizon. Sometimes you can find out by going to their website and type in tel. #, ZIP Code or address.

Click on this hyperlink:
http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ConsumerFiOS

Three different speeds at 3 different price ranges. Click here:
http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm

The speed is certainly faster than Cable modem but you pay more for it. If you do lots of online gaming, d/l-ing of movies, CD Audio files...or need fast speed for work, it could be worthwhile. For many of us, it's not. I'm happy with cable modem speed....that's might fast.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:05 pm
Re: Verizon FiOS
gollum wrote:

Does it have any disadvantages?

The biggest disadvantage is that Verizon has to stick a box in your house/apartment to convert the fiber signal into something you can use. The initial box is free with your order but if it craps out you have to pay to replace it. Amongst other things, the box includes it's own UPS with batteries. When I talked to them they estimated that the batteries would nbeed to be replaced every 2-3 years at about $80 each.

There is a difference in Internet speed but if you want their 30mbs package to max out the system you'll pay dearly for it (to the tune of $179/month).

I looked at their Internet/TV/Phone package after they install fiber on my street and I still do better with Comcast.
0 Replies