Lumps on doggies

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 06:12 pm
My border collie/springer spaniel - my baby, Emma - has had a soft lump about the size of a hazelnut (small size) on her side. She's had this lump for over a year and it has never caused her any pain or problems. The vet felt it last year and said to just keep an eye on it. I felt it a few days ago and it was firmer - but NO bigger. It seems to be moveable, and when the vet felt it again a few days ago he said it felt like an old injury, but to be sure he'd need to anesthesize her and remove it, because it was too firm to do a needle biopsy.

Of course I'm a nervous wreck over this Shocked . She is 10 years old but very active and healthy, and acts like a puppy! I hate to put her through this. Anyone know anything about what percentage of lumps are benign? I realize she needs to be still while he's taking this lump off, but does she really need anesthesia? Anybody got any good news lump stories? I could use some support Sad Thanks,

Bathsheba
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 06:22 pm
Hi Bathsheba, welcome to able2know.

I don't have an answer for you, really. Maybe one of our vet. members will stop by your thread. I do have some experience with lumps-on-dogs.

My dog, a boxer, used to get lumps which were called mass or (mast?) cell tumors. They would pull cells (asperate) from the lump and rate the rate of growth is they found it to be cancerous. Hers were always slow-growing and I had them removed as she got them. She was always put under for the procedure.

She also had lumps which were fatty tissue. She had them removed while other tumors were being removed (at great expense Mad ). The tumors ranged from what looked like a wart (her first one, on the surface of her skin) to a lump under the skin which was fairly uniform/round. I don't recall any difference in firmness between the two.

My sister's young pointer has a lump on her head. It's irregularly shaped and sometimes gets bigger and smaller. Their vet calls it scar tissue. It makes me nervous as it's so similar to my dog's lumps. But, the vet knows best.

The only real suggestion I can give you is to get a second opinion if it'll help you settle your nerves.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 08:52 pm
Hi littlek,

Thank you for responding! My mom's dog had mast cell tumors. I know some breeds are more prone to tumors than others. My girl is a mixed breed (no pedigree, but cute as heck!) and I'm trying to think positive. But it's difficult! I'll just have to be a wreck until I know what' going on.

I think I spend more on my baby doggie than I do on myself! They are like having fur children.

Thanks for the welcome, I hope to post more when I'm feeling more positive.

Bathsheba
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:58 am
How old is the dog? As the years go by, lipomas (benign fatty tumors) are common in all breeds. They don't cause problems unless they become a mechanical obstacle. Also, sebeceous gland adenomas occur regularly in breeds that have fairly oily skin. Again, the problems are minimal. If the dog is young, scar tissue is the likely culprit. The biggest factor is that the mass has not gotten any larger in a year. If this is a tumor, it would have to be a damned slow-growing one. Scar tissue is a more reasonable explanation.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:35 am
Re: Lumps on doggies
bathsheba wrote:
My border collie/springer spaniel - my baby, Emma - has had a soft lump about the size of a hazelnut (small size) on her side. She's had this lump for over a year and it has never caused her any pain or problems. The vet felt it last year and said to just keep an eye on it. I felt it a few days ago and it was firmer - but NO bigger. It seems to be moveable,and when the vet felt it again a few days ago he said it felt like an old injury, but to be sure he'd need to anesthesize her and remove it, because it was too firm to do a needle biopsy.

Of course I'm a nervous wreck over this Shocked . She is 10 years old but very active and healthy, and acts like a puppy! I hate to put her through this. Anyone know anything about what percentage of lumps are benign? I realize she needs to be still while he's taking this lump off, but does she really need anesthesia? Anybody got any good news lump stories? I could use some support Sad Thanks,

Bathsheba

I'd get a 2nd opinion if I were you. Yes, the dog will have to be sedated for the Vet to perform the operation. I'm still surprised that the lump can not be subjected to a biopsy.

It's common for dogs to get lumps, and as the dog ages, the frequency of lumps increases.

I hope you have health insurance for your dog, as it's very likely,that your dog's operation(s) and subsequent procedures will be expensive. I know as my late, last poodle had a nasal tumor that grew into his brain and the MRI cost me $2000. The insurance paid $1200 and I had to pay the balance. My dog died 2 months after the MRI, at the age of 11 years.

I now have another poodle and I doubt that I'll ever have my dog subjected to an MRI procedure.

Good luck.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:03 pm
CowDoc wrote:
How old is the dog? As the years go by, lipomas (benign fatty tumors) are common in all breeds. They don't cause problems unless they become a mechanical obstacle. Also, sebeceous gland adenomas occur regularly in breeds that have fairly oily skin. Again, the problems are minimal. If the dog is young, scar tissue is the likely culprit. The biggest factor is that the mass has not gotten any larger in a year. If this is a tumor, it would have to be a damned slow-growing one. Scar tissue is a more reasonable explanation.

Thanks, CowDoc, for your input here, I appreciate it!

She is a young & active 10 yrs old. I don't know if border collie/springer spaniel mixes have oily skin. She has a glossy coat and doesn't smell doggy. Are sebeceous gland adenomas usually benign?

The vet can't biopsy it because it's too firm. But it does move, which I guess, from what I've read, is a good thing. It doesn't seem to be causing her any problems with walking or bother her in any way.

I hope you are right and it's just an old scar. That's what the vet said, too. Just have to hang in there a few more days........... Confused
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:08 pm
Re: Lumps on doggies
Miller wrote:
bathsheba wrote:
My border collie/springer spaniel - my baby, Emma - has had a soft lump about the size of a hazelnut (small size) on her side. She's had this lump for over a year and it has never caused her any pain or problems. The vet felt it last year and said to just keep an eye on it. I felt it a few days ago and it was firmer - but NO bigger. It seems to be moveable,and when the vet felt it again a few days ago he said it felt like an old injury, but to be sure he'd need to anesthesize her and remove it, because it was too firm to do a needle biopsy.

Bathsheba

I'd get a 2nd opinion if I were you. Yes, the dog will have to be sedated for the Vet to perform the operation. I'm still surprised that the lump can not be subjected to a biopsy.

It's common for dogs to get lumps, and as the dog ages, the frequency of lumps increases.

I hope you have health insurance for your dog, as it's very likely,that your dog's operation(s) and subsequent procedures will be expensive. I know as my late, last poodle had a nasal tumor that grew into his brain and the MRI cost me $2000. The insurance paid $1200 and I had to pay the balance. My dog died 2 months after the MRI, at the age of 11 years.

I now have another poodle and I doubt that I'll ever have my dog subjected to an MRI procedure.

Good luck.

Hi Miller,

I know vet services can be expensive. The lump is too firm for a needle aspiration. Needle biopsy works ok for soft lumps or where there is fluid or soft tissue. I know a lot of older dogs who have lumps and they are benign. I'm hoping this is the case here, and it hasn't grown since we found it over a year ago. Poor baby. I wish I could do the procedure for her. I will be biting my nails until I know.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 05:05 am
littlek wrote:

My dog, a boxer, used to get lumps which were called mass or (mast?) cell tumors. They would pull cells (asperate) from the lump and rate the rate of growth is they found it to be cancerous. Hers were always slow-growing and I had them removed as she got them. She was always put under for the procedure.

Snap, we have a boxer who has to have lumps removed every so often. The last were removed in 2006, after she became very poorly within a couple of days, and the largest lump started weeping. The vet had asked us to 'wait it out' with her to try and get her temperature down before operating - it wouldn't go down so they had to take the chance when she becamse too poorly to wait.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 08:29 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 11:40 am
I'll bet it is a fatty tumor (as per cowdoc). If it is, it is not a problem. You can have the vet aspirate it. This is a very simple and inexpensive procedure where a thin needle is inserted into the mass. It is not painfull and the dog is not anesthitised. The vet looks for fatty tissue in the aspirated needle contents.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:32 pm
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
I'll bet it is a fatty tumor (as per cowdoc). If it is, it is not a problem. You can have the vet aspirate it. This is a very simple and inexpensive procedure where a thin needle is inserted into the mass. It is not painfull and the dog is not anesthitised. The vet looks for fatty tissue in the aspirated needle contents.

I am SO glad I got a second opinion from a vet who practices natural healing. She aspirated the lump (the traditional vet could not) sent it to a pathology lab and the results were: it's a harmless lump caused from an insect bite! It's caused scar tissue (must've been one heck of a bug) but doesn't bother her. It's good to listen to that little voice of intuition sometimes. She got to within 1 day of us taking her to the traditional vet to get anesthesia and sliced up ; - for no reason. I just didn't have a good feeling about doing that to her. It cost us another $200 but it was worth it! She doesn't have surgery to recoup from for no reason.

Just like with people, it pays to get another opinion and it could save your dog a lot of unnecessary pain.

I'm so happy this turned out well Laughing Thanks, y'all!
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 11:19 am
I am glad everything turned out fine. Your right that must have been one heck of a bug! Vets CAN be expensive. My Cocker had IMHA (immune blood disorder) plus other doggy stuff. When we were living in CT, while I consulted to a pharma company there she got Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease at the same time! In her 11 years of life she cost me $55,000 in vet bills but was worth every penny. Hope your dog says healthy and happy.
0 Replies