GOLDFISH BREEDING ?'S

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
I RECENTLY MOVED MY TWO FANTAIL GOLDFISH FROM A TEN GALLON TO A 56 GALLON TANK. I NOTICED THE ONE GETTING REALLY FAT AND DIDN'T PUT MUCH THOUGHT INTO IT UNTIL THE OTHER ONE STARTED RELENTLESSLY CHASING THE FAT ONE AROUND. WELL I STARTED LOOKING UP BREEDING GOLDFISH ONLINE AND THE MALE HAS THE TWO LITTLE WHITE PIMPLES BEHIND HIS GILL. SO I AM REASONABLY SURE SHE IS PREGNANT. I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW LONG DOES HE CHASE HER AROUND THE TANK BEFORE SHE RELEASES HER EGGS? I KNOW KNOW ONE REALLY KNOWS BUT I WAS WONDERING IS IT HOURS, DAYS A WEEK? PLEASE HELP THANKS
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 633 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:38 pm
Bump.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 05:59 pm
According to: Kool Pages Animal Lifespans

Quote:
Goldfish: In season (when female is fertile with eggs): April-September monthly spawning. Eggs hatch four-14 days according to temperature

The key wording to answer your question appears to be that they will spawn monthly. She may be full of eggs, but she can't be pregnant since goldfish do not carry fertalized eggs.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 04:19 am
Re: GOLDFISH BREEDING ?'S
Make sure the water temperatures are right and that the eggs can fall to safety (using marbles as gravel gives them room to fall out of the fish's reach).

If conditions are right it's a fairly quick cycle but the marbles trick let's you not need to observe it as closely and catch them before they eat the eggs.

Note that they'll do better in shallow tanks and the best thing to do is remove the eggs from the tank afterwards.

Here is more information: http://www.goldfishinfo.com/spawn.htm
0 Replies

goldfishsrok

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:10 pm
My goldfish
a few months ago my goldfish male had white spots on its fins and on it cheek , i thought it was like some disease
i also had a female goldfish which wasn't fat at the time nor was it on the ground allot
My male was chasing it around and around the tank so i thought there was something wrong
Anyway like 2 weeks after that i saw 8 baby goldfish in my tank
And before that i didn't see any eggs at all and i didn't think they will have babies

Do you think she will lay eggs Again ?
Will it help if i take out my Algae eater ?
Buying some types of plants ?
Buying some other types of fish ?( already got 4 goldfish and 3 tropical )

Please Tell me Anything that will help/ruin the goldfish laying eggs .

I will put pictures/videos of my fish Soon on another Forum *

{{{ This was be4 i knew what happens when the fish lays eggs and stuff }}}
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:52 pm
Re: My goldfish
goldfishsrok wrote:

Do you think she will lay eggs Again ?

Yes.

Quote:
Will it help if i take out my Algae eater ?

Possibly, pretty much any fish is a threat to eggs and smaller fish.

Quote:
Buying some types of plants ?

Plants are pretty essential for the survival of smaller fish. But you should also look into breeding nets or breeding tanks if you want to ensure that some survive.

Quote:
Buying some other types of fish ?( already got 4 goldfish and 3 tropical )

More fish = more predators. And by the way, mixing tropical and goldfish is something I strongly advise against. They require different environments and your tank is certainly not suitable for both.
0 Replies