Why the big deal over 10 years since Princess Di?

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:38 pm
you know, I never appreciated John Denver when he was alive.

I recorded a show of his a while back, and his voice really was beautiful.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 09:00 pm
I was privileged to hear him in concert several times. He was a hell of a performer. His shows were always good...and long! He'd give his band breaks, but he'd stay on stage and perform solo while they rested. I saw him go 3+ hours without a break, and he was loving every minute of it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:07 am
I object to the idea of an hereditary head of state on constitutional grounds. They only have legitimacy because they are popular. Fine let them live in the US and be popular there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:10 am
Go, Steve! Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:22 am
msolga wrote:
Go, Steve! Very Happy
Where?

:wink:

There is still no closure on the Diana affair because there has still been no inquest. The reason there has been no inquest is that they are terrified that a jury hearing all the evidence will not come to the "correct" verdict of accidental death.

Why has it taken 10 years and 3 coroners and still no conclusion that a drunk crashed a car and killed himself and his passengers? Its not rocket science.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:45 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
msolga wrote:
Go, Steve! Very Happy
Where?

Buckingham Palace, perhaps?

Perhaps there's been no inquest because the royals don't want it? To avoid the possibility of reviving all that hysteria & speculation again?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:50 am
msolga wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
msolga wrote:
Go, Steve! Very Happy
Where?

Perhaps there's been no inquest because the royals don't want it? To avoid the possibility of reviving all that hysteria & speculation again?
An inquest verdict would put an end to the speculation.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 06:54 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
msolga wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
msolga wrote:
Go, Steve! Very Happy
Where?

An inquest verdict would put an end to the speculation.

I don't know about that. The "wrong" finding could become further proof of a conspiracy. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:04 am
I've said that earlier already: besides that an "inquest" is totally unknown in countries outside the British law - it's nothing criminal-related.

And I truely belive that some more or less laypersons have a dificult task to find about the circumstances of a death in a foreign country with a totally different legal, forensic and police system ...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 07:40 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I've said that earlier already: besides that an "inquest" is totally unknown in countries outside the British law - it's nothing criminal-related.

And I truely belive that some more or less laypersons have a dificult task to find about the circumstances of a death in a foreign country with a totally different legal, forensic and police system ...
But the jury dont have to do the investigating, they just have to listen to the evidence put before them, and select one of a very limited range of verdict options

eg

Suicide
Accidental death
Misadventure
Unknown
Unlawful killing

(may be one or two more I've missed)

If a jury gave a verdict of accidental death then I think it would be extraordinarily difficult for those who believe diana was murdered to prove their case. They would have to get the verdict overturned and to do that would need new evidence...the onus would be on them to do detailed investigation again.

The fact that we have still no verdict of accidental death (and 3 coroners have read into the case and dropped it like a hot potato) makes me ask why?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 08:53 am
Maybe with two very rich, very powerful forces opposing each other, ie the House of Windsor vs Dodi's Dad, no one wants to buy into it. I would drop it like a hot potato too, I think. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 09:59 am
happycat wrote:
I'm not speaking for myself Chai, I'm just re-stating what everyone already knows and what was said 20 years ago.

Little girls everywhere had grown up on stories of the handsome prince marrying the beautful princess and living happily everafter. Camilla threw a wrench into the whole shabang.
I never thought that way. I was to busy riding my bike, rollerskating, playing baseball and other things to pay attention to stories like that.

I liked Princess Diana for the good she did, at least what was shown on tv. That is all. I didn't know her to like or dislike anything else.
As far as her death is concerned, I think it was a car accident involving speed and alcohol. There are no pictures or documents that I have seen to show anything else.

Steve 41oo
It is probably about money (that is the why) imo.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:12 am
you know what TTH?

I really hadn't paid any attention to the comment about "every little girl wanting to be a princess" since it's one we hear so often it goes right by.

But...you're right, I never dreamt of growing up and marrying a handsome prince...or thought about being a princess.

I wasn't athletic or a tomboy or anything. That princessy stuff just seemed pretty boring...like playing with dolls or dress-up.

Guess I wasn't into the whole fantasy thing.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:33 am
Chai
I never played with dolls or even had a barbie doll. I didn't see the point and still don't. Why would a kid want to put clothes on a doll and take them off again? To me, that is weird.

The only time I said I felt like a Princess was when I bought a formal. I wore that dress on formal night on a cruise ship and people treated me strange. People kept staring and I wondered what are they staring at. I thought maybe it was the wrong night but, when the Captain stopped me and said I looked like a Princess, that is when I figured it out. I didn't like it. As soon as dinner was over I went right back to the room and put my jeans on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:40 am
Does anyone know what the ratings were like on the Diana programming? I'm curious if people actually watched it (tried to find out, but apparently I don't know the right keywords) - did the programming win the timeslots, etc.

I don't really 'get' the fascination - other than this thread, I haven't noticed any interest in Diana. No one IRL out here is talking about it. What's the deal?

~~~

An inquest? More wasted money IMNSHO.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:53 am
same here ehBeth....I haven't heard anyone mention anything...have no idea when some program was on....didn't know there was a program..

Then again, I haven't turned on the TV for about 4 days, except to set up to record documentaries about platypusses and chickadees.

I likes chickadees.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 10:56 am
ehBeth
I didn't watch it.
Edit: I saw something on the news about it. Other than that, I don't know anything about the show.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 11:01 am
Re: Why the big deal over 10 years since Princess Di?
happycat wrote:
Celebrating the 10 year mark of a joyous event makes sense, but this onslaught of films, specials and the like are just way too much.

There seem to have been quite a few t.v. specials on (3 on Fox alone, I believe), but I couldn't find out anything about the ratings.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 12:45 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

The fact that we have still no verdict of accidental death (and 3 coroners have read into the case and dropped it like a hot potato) makes me ask why?

The jury in the Princess Diana inquest will be taken to the crash site in Paris, just after the inquest opens on October 2.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 01:45 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

The jury in the Princess Diana inquest will be taken to the crash site in Paris, just after the inquest opens on October 2.
Thats quite normal. The jury is not expected to start a forensic examination of the site, just take a look see where it happened.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:41:55