Why the big deal over 10 years since Princess Di?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 03:08 pm
The trouble with Virgin Princesses is the plot, sooner or later, requires a dragon or a wicked witch or an evil usurper.

Note that before she died, Diane was suggesting that Charles resign all rights to the throne and Diane would be regent until young William came of age.

She was a woman with dreams--unrealistic, perhaps, but very appealing to those who judge reality by fairy tales.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 03:53 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Here's my take on this one decade after thing; most don't have a life of their own, and their interests are limited. It's interesting, considering the fact that we have our own family members and friends who have passed away less than ten years ago, and we don't spend all that much of our time expressing our grief or whatever...

True dat
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 06:39 pm
agreeing with ci and nimh's true dat.

the part that really blows me away are the comments about Camilla not being attractive, and so is somehow not worth of marrying....and Diana being some fairy tale princess (supposedly what the public wanted?)

I mean, are people really still that upset that a normal looking woman and a normal looking man had the adacity to want to marry.

as the expression goes...get a life.

I am curious though, what was/is the annual cost of the upkeep of charles and diana, or charles and camilla?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 10:32 pm
Chai,

Strange as it may seem, the following link is to a Taiwanese newspaper, which had a very readable article on Royal expenses.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2007/07/22/2003370780

The base documents are enormous and pretty boring but this spells it out very well.

The most interesting part is that in the past couple of years ONLY the Queen and Prince Philip received an allowance from the Privy Purse.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:00 am
Chai wrote:
agreeing with ci and nimh's true dat.

the part that really blows me away are the comments about Camilla not being attractive, and so is somehow not worth of marrying....and Diana being some fairy tale princess (supposedly what the public wanted?)

I mean, are people really still that upset that a normal looking woman and a normal looking man had the adacity to want to marry.

as the expression goes...get a life.

I am curious though, what was/is the annual cost of the upkeep of charles and diana, or charles and camilla?

Yes, Diana was made into a fairytale princess by the public. Why else would Franklin Mint or Bradford Exchange (whichever) come out with a Diana doll that is unrealistically tall and slim, and dressed in haute couture?
Her nickname, for petes sake, is/was The People's Princess!
The public seemed unwilling to believe that Charles, even though he is not even remotely attractive himself, would choose the barely attractive Camilla, over a beautiful woman such as Diana.

I'm not speaking for myself Chai, I'm just re-stating what everyone already knows and what was said 20 years ago.

Little girls everywhere had grown up on stories of the handsome prince marrying the beautful princess and living happily everafter. Camilla threw a wrench into the whole shabang.

Personally, when Charles and Camilla finally married, I thought it's about time, and more power to them!. I'm glad they finally got to be together and I hope they live a long and happy life together.

I'm not fooling myself into thinking that the queen was not behind everything and that Diana was anything more to her than a royal uterus.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:11 am
wow lezzles, you're a great source of info.

so, from what I can make out from the article, the royal family costs each British person 62 pence a year?

When they were discussing the cost of repairs and upkeep to (I think Windor castle)....it was something like $2 million US. That was in one particular year when a lot of repairs were needed. Is this place privately owned, or like the White House, owned by the public?

It also talks of the Queen now charging admission to view the castle...fair enough...you don't have to pay the money, you can choose not to visit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 08:42 am
Quote:
The residences associated with today's Royal Family are divided into occupied Royal residences, which are held in trust for future generations, and private estates which have been handed down to The Queen by earlier generations of the Royal Family.

Occupied Royal Estates

Royal Homes of Britain

Key facts about Royal finances

Information about official Royal expenditure
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 02:23 pm
Chai wrote:

so, from what I can make out from the article, the royal family costs each British person 62 pence a year?

interesting way of looking at it. We pay them about £36m pa for being extraordinarily rich. They pay ordinary people absolutely nothing for working hard and paying taxes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 02:27 pm
We overpay our royalty too, but at least yours doesn't start wars that costs billions every week of taxpayer money.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:07 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Chai wrote:

interesting way of looking at it. We pay them about £36m pa for being extraordinarily rich. They pay ordinary people absolutely nothing for working hard and paying taxes.

wait, I'm not sure if you made a typo, or I'm not understanding you...36 million pounds "pa"? Did you mean "pay"?

So, if that 62 pence is an accurate figure, is that what people are upset at?
62 pence is like, what? $1.25 american? I'm sure I give that much at some time during the year to another hard working american in the guise of "Would you like a soda or coffee?"

So, if the Queen came over and bought you a hamburger from the extra value menu and McDonalds, would you feel even for your contribution, personally?

If 1000 people came up to me and gave me a dollar for no good reason, I wouldn't feel like I should do something for each and every one of them in return.

Life too short to worry about donating 62 pence, or $1.25 to a senseless system. I guess you could say it's the principle of the thing.....meh.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:13 pm
The "only" time I worry about $1.25 is when I bend down to pick up a dime. Pennies and nickles, I don't bother with. Wink Some months ago, I found $10 on the ground in a parking lot, and gave it to my son.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 06:09 pm
Chai wrote:
wait, I'm not sure if you made a typo, or I'm not understanding you...36 million pounds "pa"? Did you mean "pay"?

"pa" = "per annum"
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 10:38 pm
c.i.

I'm going for coffee...you want something?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 03:08 pm
Chai wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Chai wrote:

So, if that 62 pence is an accurate figure, is that what people are upset at?
62 pence is like, what? $1.25 american? I'm sure I give that much at some time during the year to another hard working american in the guise of "Would you like a soda or coffee?"

So, if the Queen came over and bought you a hamburger from the extra value menu and McDonalds, would you feel even for your contribution, personally?

If 1000 people came up to me and gave me a dollar for no good reason, I wouldn't feel like I should do something for each and every one of them in return.

Life too short to worry about donating 62 pence, or $1.25 to a senseless system. I guess you could say it's the principle of the thing.....meh.

I meant 62 pence per head of population is about £36,000,000 PER ANNUM to the parasitic bastards for doing **** all.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 03:47 pm
I got exactly what you said.

but, like I said, do you expect that because each person gave them 62 pence they need to do something so that everyone gets their 62 pence worth?

There are people all over the world who do **** all. I can either let it get me angry or resentful, or just say "here's my 62 pence, now I don't have to think about you."

You might, as I said, say it's the principle of the thing....I say "Is this a hill worth dying on?"

nah...

****, I get 62 pence worth out of the royal family way over there, and I'm thousands of miles away, and don't give them much thought at all. I'll send you a $1.25 so you won't be out anything.

So steverino, is what bothers you the 62 pence, or the fact you can't control someone who isn't doing what you think they should? If it's the latter, you're only causing grief to yourself.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:12 pm
Chai wrote:
I got exactly what you said.

but, like I said, do you expect that because each person gave them 62 pence they need to do something so that everyone gets their 62 pence worth?

There are people all over the world who do **** all. I can either let it get me angry or resentful, or just say "here's my 62 pence, now I don't have to think about you."

You might, as I said, say it's the principle of the thing....I say "Is this a hill worth dying on?"

nah...

****, I get 62 pence worth out of the royal family way over there, and I'm thousands of miles away, and don't give them much thought at all. I'll send you a $1.25 so you won't be out anything.

So steverino, is what bothers you the 62 pence, or the fact you can't control someone who isn't doing what you think they should? If it's the latter, you're only causing grief to yourself.
this is wisdom.

What really gets me is that you get 62 pence value out of the Royal Family and I'M PAYING FOR IT.

The idea of an hereditary head of state is an anachronism well passed its sell by date. I have to admit the Queen has done a good job this last 1/2 century or so, but thats because she takes the role seriously. The rest dont. They want to be pop stars and royals and vvips and contribute nothing. When the Queen dies the Windsors should gracefully retire and we can elect a head of state like other modern civilised countries. They know the writing is on the wall, but they look the other way. Sorry if that spoils your enjoyment.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:34 pm
Nah....62 pence doesn't buy that much enjoyment. Not enough to be worried about if it's spoiled.

so which is it?

the 62 pence?

or the fact you can't control them and make them earn their?

I know it's an archaic system. Who doesn't know that?

but jeez, it's not sending anyone to the poor house. Not worth getting upset over.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:48 pm
Some of us have hashed this out on a2k before. I remember people feel adamantly in various ways, including adamant boredom.

I remember that Noddy and I seemed to agree Charles isn't all the baddy, re his works. I say that in a view from afar, as he seems to care about ecology and architecture, however much I agree or crabbily disagree with him on details of those interests.

I remember Elizabeth's coronation, liked her at the time - I must've been eleven or some such age, looking in Life Magazine and at, what, CBS News(?) and John Cameron Swayze's TV News broadcast.

I guess if I was a subject of the crown, I'd be as pissy about the royals as Steve. I'm possibly pissier about my own countrymen/women I can't control.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:43 pm
Hey steve, please don't think I'm baiting you...I really like you, you're a rightious dude.

After I posted before, I got a memory of something that happened..oh, 20 plus years ago. It just reminded me how some people can get funny about money.

For some reason, paychecks were delayed one friday. Like a fedex issue, they would be in on Monday. We weren't able to reach everyone by phone to tell them not to bother to come in.

This one woman (who always made it known she didn't HAVE to work), came in and got really upset, even though I told her I'd mail it to her so she wouldn't have to make another trip.

I still remember her saying "This is NOT acceptable! I NEED my money". She only worked 2 days a week, so it wasn't a lot of money. I asked her if she had any bills that would be late because of this, I actually would have loaned her some money if I thought she'd miss an important bill.
"No, but that's not the POINT! I WANT my money"

Then the clincher..."If I have to wait over the weekend for my money, WHO's going to pay me for the interest I've lost?"

I slide a dime across the desk to her and told her she owed me a penny.

I know, weird example, but she was just so upset about being "cheated" out of her hard earned money. I just can't get with that.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 06:53 pm
listening to a podcast of a talkshow from last week, and a caller mentioned that it wil be the tenth anniversary of john denver's death this year

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/DSCN2983_johndenvermemorial_e_600.jpg

Memorial to John Denver with inscribed lyrics to the song "Rocky Mountain High" in Rio Grande Park in Aspen, Colorado. April 27, 2005
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 10:09:35