Why the big deal over 10 years since Princess Di?

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 07:41 am
All I can say about that is that I don't find it particularly sweet when someone ditches their job to collect welfare and lounge with whoever, so I don't find it particularly sweet to hear that "love story".

There was a lot more money involved there than what it takes to support a welfare check, too. The dude could have put himself to some use.

What did he do, out of curiosity? Anything ?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 08:14 am
They just don't make aristocracy like they used to. No more King Arthurs. It almost makes one happy to live in a country with no monarchy.

Could the British ever give up their monarchy, or is it too emblazoned onto their national psyche? Then again, what would they have without a monarchy? Just memories to wax nostalgic, I'd guess.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 08:56 am
Czar Nicholas was another relative of this British monarchy who did nothing in his lifetime to advance his people's condition. Simplistically put, the reason they were overthrown was because the country was starving and he and his family would ride around in their fancy carriages, completely insensitive and unconcerned about their plight. Had they not been so, the revolution would never have been successful.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:35 am
Well here is the way I see it, 2 choices:

#1) money, having a job you are told to do and having an arranged marriage
or
#2) money, making your own choices and marrying who you want

I would choose #2
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:37 am
TTH, to me there is no problem with choosing numero 2.

The thing that gets me is that he chose to sit on his arse and not contribute to the world. After getting so much, he gives nothing?

That's ridiculous. You can love who you want, leave the post you were born into, and still make yourself of use.

The guy sort of sounds like a spoiled brat, no?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 09:54 am
Mame wrote:
Czar Nicholas was another relative of this British monarchy ...

The British King George V, the Russian Czar Nicholas II, and the German Kaiser Wilhelm II were cousins - but who isn't (or wasn't) connected by marriages in the European nobility?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:02 am
Yeah, and it's uncanny how similar Nicholas and George looked.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/WetCoast/nickandgeorge.jpg
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:12 am
mushypancakes
I have no idea what he was like. Why should he give anything? Why should anyone "give"? To me, that is a personal choice whether or not someone wants to "give" their time, money, knowledge or anything else. It is nice when someone that has so much does give but, I don't expect people to.

That is why I admired Princess Diana. She did not have to give anything but, she gave her time and money to those that were less fortunate and she also showed her sons places where there are people who are in need.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:17 am
msolga wrote:

And that was not the kindest comment in the last line of your post. No need to be so personal.

I learned that tact from reading mame's other posts.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:28 am
Don't blame your behaviour on anyone but yourself.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:29 am
Mame wrote:
Don't blame your behaviour on anyone but yourself.

blah blah blah bla blah Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:34 am
Mame wrote:
happycat wrote:
Yes, perhaps you both should. Maybe you'd sound less miserable.
But, I can understand why one of you would be so sour on love lately.
You know absolutely nothing.
I noticed no one spoke up and pointed out that this was an unkind comment from Mame.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 10:52 am
I understand that when Edward abdicated that winter the little Cockney carol singers sang:

'ark the 'erald Angels sing
Mrs. Simson's pinched the king.

Remember, because of Edward's outspoken Nazi sympathies, the British Foreign Office wanted him completely detached from politics.

The public Diana was an archtypal princess. The private Diana was frequently a very silly woman who was killed by the publicity that she courted.

I suppose her growing legend does no harm--but it doesn't do much good, either.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:10 am
TTH wrote:
mushypancakes
I have no idea what he was like. Why should he give anything? Why should anyone "give"? To me, that is a personal choice whether or not someone wants to "give" their time, money, knowledge or anything else. It is nice when someone that has so much does give but, I don't expect people to.

That is why I admired Princess Diana. She did not have to give anything but, she gave her time and money to those that were less fortunate and she also showed her sons places where there are people who are in need.

Cool. You have the right to believe whatever you want.

And I have the right to think you a twit with twisted thinking.

That's not kind, but I don't have to give anything right...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:31 am
Ladies--

Can we be catty about Diana and Mrs. Simpson rather than about each other?
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:35 am
There's been a lot of weirdness around the forum lately. A lot left unsaid.

So to get it out, it frustrates me because TTH - she's cool, but I honestly feel like she could benefit from real therapy or something.
She comes here and spreads it around, and yeah, it IS getting to me.

Maybe I need a break.

I don't have it in me to pussyfoot around all the sensitive souls around here lately.

Giving back the table to the original topic now.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:43 am
mushypancakes wrote:
Cool. You have the right to believe whatever you want.

And I have the right to think you a twit with twisted thinking.

That's not kind, but I don't have to give anything right...
Yes, you are right. You can believe what you want and you can think what you want.
Actually, I like "twit with twisted thinking", where were you when I picked my name? I already changed my name or else I would pick TTT. Your post actually made me smile.

Edit: I didn't see your previous post before making this one.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:56 am
mushy -
There's an old guard on this board, and some don't cater to newbies. I notice it more with the women. It's the way it is with most message boards though. Longtime posters have a certain closeness and are protective of one another.

I've been reading this board for about three or so years and was here briefly, long ago, under a different user name. Back then I was very put off by some attitudes, but decided to come back and stay. I'm glad I did.

If you read TTH's profile, it's pretty much spelled out as to what to expect.
I like that.
I'm the same way. I may agree with you and joke with you on one thread, but come right back with my claws out on another.

That's what an open discussion group/message board is supposed to be.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:08 pm
Of course. I've been here for longer than I ever imagined I would be because of all that.
Actually, this is a new username and a lot know me as flushd.

My claw only come out because I think of those here like a big extended family. Sometimes I get caught up in wanting to throw the turkey around.

However, I'm sorry. I don't feel proud to do it.

As I said, think it's due to not always knowing when to quit and go do something else.

We all have the right to be respected around here. That will always be so.

take care all.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:10 pm
ahhh, yes I recall the name. okay.
Smile
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:06:30