Look what my dog tried to eat last night

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 05:11 am
http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/july/papr/du_cicada.html

Sometimes I swear he is a cat. The poor insect was sleeping on the balcony, and I say, "Hey, there's a cicada on the balcony." Mrs. cav needed a smoke, and it turns out she is afraid of cicadas. "Sheesh, okay, I'll see if I can get rid of it." I go out there and the dog follows. He is faster than me. He gave it a nudge with his nose and then "bzzt". He picked it up and ran inside under the bed. He did not want to give up his prize. I had to lie on the floor and shimmy under the bed amidst horrid crunching sounds to get the half-chewed wingy beast. Then Mrs. cav freaks out because she doesn't know if they are poisonus. She calls vet emergency services and says, "My dog just ate a cicada." Answer: "What's a cicada?" Finally, reason set in and she said: "Well, if they don't even know what it is, I suppose they are probably harmless." Our dog, fearsome killer of large fly-like creatures Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,287 • Replies: 29
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 05:20 am
I say we start a column of random happenings in our lives. This post of yours was written in the best style of good feature writing. I give it four smilies. (They are absent at the moment because I always use the QUICK REPLY)

PS cicadas are probably a good source of protein. They were eaten , quick roasted, and blackened, by the Delaware Indians . Im not sure what kinds of sauces they used. Your doggies coat will be nice and lustrous.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 06:35 am
The column idea is a good one for general, farmerman. Yeah, he is completely fine, and I knew that cicadas weren't just for dogs anymore. Personally, my only food prejudice is eating insects, but that is all cultural, and perhaps one day I will venture. "Unmentionable Cuisine" by Calvin A. Schwabe is "the" resource for "alternative protein". A Google search brings up quite a bit on the book.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:00 am
Next time, Find one, roast it and try it yourself... I guess they're not that bad, but I wouldn't try it myself, as you said, cav, "unmentionable cuisine"!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:07 am
Only if the dog doesn't beat me to it....
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:24 am
Our dog was as daft as a daffodil but a lot quicker. He found a frog on one occasion and picked it up in his mouth. Frogs I believe secrete some horrible tasting toxic fluid and Dog was quick to spit the frog out. One evening he found a hegehog in the garden, he liked the self propelling playthings. He decided he'd knock it around with hs paw and found the 'hogs spines a bit sharp. The 'hog curled up into a ball and dog being a bit of a daffodil tried to pick up the 'hog in his mouth. Not a good idea. Sharp spines. Barking loudly at his new toy didn't get him anywhere, no matter how much he looked at me with pleading eyes. He eventualy gave up and went and found an old and trusted bone that always played by the rules and was very submissive
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:26 am
Have you ever seen a cicada grub? They're hideous. They have big front claws, like a lobster.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:28 am
When I was a kid, we used to get them every summer on our apple tree...gross...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:31 am
Apple trees! That's why they're all over my sister's yard.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:33 am
A buddy of mine was riding his Harley one night, going about sixty five or so, and as he rounded a corner on the highway he yawned. At that precise moment a junebug slammed into the back of his throat. My buddy's head snapped back from the impact and he tried to dislodge the squirming bug from his throat. No matter how hard he coughed and wheezed the thing wasn't going anywhere. The only course of action left for my friend was to swallow the wretched bug. He said he could feel it scratching and clawing as it began the descent toward its demise.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:33 am
Now living 10 stories up, we have yet, until last night, to see a cicada on our balcony in over 5 years, but there are many trees in the area, and they do like to fly.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:44 am
Our beagle brings us dead things constantly and deposits them on the porch. Squirrels, moles, frogs constantly because of our pool and she even once trotted up with a squirming snake hanging out of either side of her mouth.

Speaking of pools and frogs it is always a hoot in a dark and twisted way to see frogs in the pool just obviously having a ball, thinking they've struck it rich and realize that they'll be stiff in my skimmer by morning. The condemned prisoner enjoys a cool swim........... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 04:46 am
Neighbor's dog ate a baby skunk a while back.

Corky reeked from within for a month!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:52 am
roadkill, mmmmmmmm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:53 am
I was livin' in southern Illinois many years back, and some friends from nothern Ireland were visitin'. The woman's hubby had worked there before, but she was out in the actual by-god woods for the first time (he was in Tejas just then) with her younger brother. In Ireland, at least on the west coast where i was, you just don't see insects--maybe the occasional groggy fly, shelterin' from the constant on-shore breeze. The cicadas was goin' full blast, and these two were definintely spooked. Finally, the missus gathers her courage (didn't wanna sound stupid, or admit that she had the creeps), and asks what all the ruckus was. We were sittin' on the porch of a cabin near the shores of a lake in a national wildlife refuge, so you may well imagine the number of trees, and cicadas. I explained what they were, and they seemed to calm down somewhat, but they were still bugged by the noise (heeheeheeheeheeheehee).

Then all the color drains from the boy's face (what little color an Irishman has), and with a trembling hand he points at the side of the cabin, but doesn't manage to say anything. There was a moth resting on the side of the cabin, whose spread wings very nearly approximated the span of both my hands if i were to spread my fingers. We went inside after that--we figured we'd spare 'em the mosquitoes.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:15 am
all these weird dietary tastes of dogs just reminds me how superior us cats are :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:28 am
I wouldn't be so quick on the draw there, Viv...back in my single days, I dated a woman with cats, and they brought strange things home constantly, and had an appetite for flies....one of them ate a bat.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:30 am
bat - just a mouse with wings no probs .... flies??? Shocked yeugh! - obviously a mentally disturbed animal!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:35 am
Mentally disturbed owner, in hindsight...one brought home animals all the time, the other one only brought home plants....cats be weird.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 06:37 am
weird but beautiful!
0 Replies