Water - Here's my Dumb Question for the Day...

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:35 am
I was responding to this idea...

engineer wrote:
You'd have to remove the salt, but extracting ocean water is used in parts of the world. Another old idea is hauling icebergs into a port and melting them. Icebergs are made of fresh water. Freezing and evaporation are nature's de-salination plants.

Don't we want to keep icebergs (and glaciers) where they are if at all possible? Polar bears and all that? Seems like they're currently part of the ecosystem there and that we'd want to forestall destruction rather than hastening things along. If they dissolve within just months, though, maybe not.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:38 am
sozobe wrote:
Don't we want to keep icebergs (and glaciers)

Snap!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:53 am
sozobe wrote:
Polar bears and all that? Seems like they're currently part of the ecosystem there and that we'd want to forestall destruction rather than hastening things along. If they dissolve within just months, though, maybe not.

If you're a polar bear on an iceberg headed out into the ocean, you're in big trouble. Never mind the cute pictures in childrens' books. Ice shelves, on the other hand -- continuous areas of floating ice that are still attached to land -- are something I'd be much more cautious about. There's plenty of wildlife on these.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:08 am
Wait a minute, you all agree it takes a lot of energy to get hydrogen and oxygen to bond to form water. And the hydrogen they use in hydrogen bombs comes from water. So can't water, say sea water, be used as an energy source, since it has so much energy in its bonds?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:12 am
Could we make water on Mars.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:14 am
Quincy wrote:
Wait a minute, you all agree it takes a lot of energy to get hydrogen and oxygen to bond to form water.

On the contrary, this reaction releases a lot of energy. Breaking the bond is what takes a lot of energy.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:18 am
So why aren't we making tons of water and getting a free energy source while we're at it?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:22 am
Quincy wrote:
So why aren't we making tons of water and getting a free energy source while we're at it?

Because, as DrewDad said on page 1 of this thread ...

DrewDad wrote:
The problem is finding enough free hydrogen. Plenty of hydrogen sitting around, but it's already in the form of water.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:37 am
What about space. When they go on those missions to the space station and so on, they can bring some back, right? I must be a visionary
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:38 am
Quincy wrote:
Wait a minute, you all agree it takes a lot of energy to get hydrogen and oxygen to bond to form water. And the hydrogen they use in hydrogen bombs comes from water. So can't water, say sea water, be used as an energy source, since it has so much energy in its bonds?

Other way around. It takes energy (chemical energy) to break the oxygen-hydrogen bond.

Combining oxygen and hydrogen to get water releases heat.

It's easier, for most purposes, to just directly use the energy you would have expended breaking up the water molecules.

Hydrogen bombs use nuclear energy. Hydrogen atoms are fused into larger atoms such as helium. They haven't figured out how to make controlled fusion economically feasible yet.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:46 am
Hasn't anyone told you smoking is bad for you? Except crack.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:54 am
Yeah, yeah. I know.

But, then where would all my great thoughts come from?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:03 am
Amigo wrote:
Could we make water on Mars.

Yes. They are probably doing it right now. They tease us with little stories here and there in the media about how Mars may have once had water. One day we'll find out they "found" some. Then, they will try to ship a bunch of us up there to live.

It'll be way cool to see who goes for it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 02:45 pm
Cool thanks. I thought it was a good question.

I'd go live on Mars.
0 Replies

loony

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 03:24 pm
so how did water get here in the first place? what made it?

great thread btw i always wondered why we didn't just go an make water.
0 Replies