Rats!! Beginners help please..

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 07:39 am
Well, after a couple weeks deciding, I went out yesterday and bought a new cage, two rats and some treats for £102.. O_O

Now then, I've just got a few questions for anyone who might be able to help. These are my first rats, I've kepts rabbits, cats, hamsters, budgies, fish etc etc, but never rats.

I have two girls, Peaches and Ratty (for the moment). Now Peaches is mine, Ratty is my boyfriends. They live in a big cage on my bedroom floor. Peaches is rather timid, at times, it's strange, because she takes food from my hands and explores when she doesn't know I'm there, but most of the time she's staying in her bed.

Ratty is much more lively, running around, following me in the cage and taking as many treats as possible..

My main concerns at the moment are:

1. Peaches is sneezing. Just little "choo!"s but I'm rather worried. She hasn't got a runny nose and doesn't look ill in any other ways, apart from being a bed so much, but could this be something like a cold??

2. Ratty nibbles. You feed her by hand, stick your fingers in the cage etc, and she nibbles, mostly just gently, but she did pretty much lunge for me a few minutes ago. She hasn't bitten as of yet, and my mum suggested maybe she thinks she's suckling, since she's still a baby. Any suggestions?

3. I don't think they're eating their normal food. They've had a bit, but I'd expect them to be eating more, and I haven't seen Peaches drink or eat the normal food either, not to say that she definately isn't, I just haven't seen her.

4. Ratty's also grooming a lot (dominant rat..?) and scratching(!) too!! I'm worried that Peaches has a cold and Ratty has mites! I don't want to move them too soon, or take them to the vets if there isn't really anything wrong.

5. What sorts of fruit and vegetables can I give them? What other things? I was thinking about making some cous cous or rice or something..

6. Any good home-made toys I can make from stuff in the house?

I think that's it for now, I'm sure I'll think of something else in a minute.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 677 • Replies: 2
No top replies

DizzyMoo

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 09:37 am
hi hun , with regards to sneezing it could be numerous things now im no rat expert but a lot of my friends have them ,it could just be a changed of atmosphere & smells , or have you any other pets they can smell? i dnt know about rats getting colds or anything so cant comment on that .
far as i know most rats may bite through the cage as its there territory & they may not be hand tame , through time hand taming will also help ,the food bit they can eat many things, rice,cous cous , curly kale & other veg , dry dog meal biscuits, the list is endless hun , when you go near the cage try sticking you finger in a dollap of peanut butter or choc spread & let them lick it off .you can also get them to climb up the bars that way to check out there bellys if your unsure about handlin them just yet. the scratching could just be an itch it depends how often hes scratching as yes it could be mites , tbh hun for that you would be best going to the vets better safe than sorry .toys rats can have most things suitable for a baby , with wood being untreated , now you can get something to coat would which is still safe for rats but yet if they pee on the wood it wont smell,untreated wood is safe but soon smells with wee , plastic toys are fine without glue stuff on but will be chewed so replacements are a must , ladders , hammocks made from kitchen towels or material is fine.
, hope this helps alittle xx
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:40 pm
Thanks, I have been chatting on another forum specifically rat-related. Um, something I don't get; how in the hell do I get a rat that bites to LICK my finger? Won't it just go "Mmm, a peanut! *chomp!*" Shocked
0 Replies