Unhappy dog wrecking home

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 07:56 am
My dog is 9. He was 6 when I got him and I am his third human. He has always been neurotic and clingy and has always made a fuss if he is left alone for more than a couple of minutes. However recently it has been getting worse and if my husband and I go out for a couple of hours without him, he has taken to tearing up carpets, bags and anything else that takes his fancy. We adore him but this is really getting us down. Going nuts at him of course does not help. What do we do? Please, can anyone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,484 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:01 am
It sounds like classic separation anxiety. This link might help:

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/behaviourproblems/anxiety.html

There is also a lot more info regarding separation anxiety in dogs on the net.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:10 am
Poor dog! Poor you!

A few ideas - crate training, leaving the radio on while you're out, giving him toys to play with (particularly a Kong[TM] or hollow bone stuffed with peanut butter and/or little treats)....

We had a dog who was extremely destructive. We only had him for a month and then we couldn't take it anymore. But you've had your dog for a while, so it's different. Hmm, there are also anxiety medications you can have your vet prescribe. Also, perhaps there's an underlying medical cause (not just psychological) - maybe the pooch is in pain?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:08 am
My sister and her husband have a neurotic dog. She mostly pees on stuff, but also gets into things like trash and groceries. They put her on doggie prozac. The drug seems to help a lot, but, it doesn't make it go away.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:38 pm
good gracious girl, your pet needs a playmate...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 09:49 pm
Good point, Kuvasz. My sister's dog always does better when left alone with another dog. But, she still needs the meds.
0 Replies

hrhbabushka

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:16 am
Thank you all. Will do all we can before we resort to getting him stoned out of his box! I'll let you know who ends up takin' the dope first......me or the dog........
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:22 am
Ha! Good luck.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:48 am
boy that conjures up some memories...my second wife and I had a really cool yellow lab named Emmy we used to get stoned with ALL the time...she was so cool.

I once spent an entire afternoon with her..VERY STONED.....and because she was hard to break of the habit of sniffing people's laps as soon as they sat down I taught her to do it and then play dead....my ex was FURIOUS...she did that until the day she died of a grand mal seizure(the dog that is) Razz and no, the seizure wasn't from being stoned so don't call PETA...labs are prone to seizures....
0 Replies

KillerWhale

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 09:42 pm
wonderful ideas, Jespah, you're on the right track!

You must crate train this dog in order to keep your sanity. Buy a nice crate from a pet store, stick the dog in it with things to keep it occupied while you're in the house, and if it starts to freak out, completely, and I mean COMPLETELY Ignore the dog until is is quiet. Only reinforce desireable behavior. Reinforce meaning acknowledge. Once he shuts up, praise the crap out of him, from inside the crate. Teach him that the crate is a wonderful place to be. Teach him that the crate is a safe place- his "den."

I personally swear by Kongs. We get a new dog, we get a new kong. It's not even a question anymore. It goes with the dog like a leash and collar. Stuffing Ideas incude Cream cheese, peaunut butter, plain biscuits, regular cheese (easy squeezy cheese!) or even Bil •Jac!! Then, throw it in the freezer for a few hours before chucking it to the dog- frozen food lasts longer.

You could probably also benefit by speaking to your veterinarian or an animal behaviorist. Just be careful they don't put him on too many meds, and monitor closely which he's on.
0 Replies

hrhbabushka

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:12 am
As ever, thank you all - however, I am in Britain and not sure if we have 'Kongs' over here.......other than those rather interesting ones one finds in top shelf mags.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 05:28 am
Kong toys and treats can be ordered online. Dogs love 'em.

http://www.dog-training.com/kong.htm

I would re-emphasize looking into the separation anxiety theory, and talk to your vet about treatment, preferably not involving drugs. If your dog needs meds, so be it, but try the training approach first, and be very very patient.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 08:13 am
Hey, thanks KillerWhale! :-D

Uh, what's Bil •Jac?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:06 am
Hi hrhbabushka.....

What breed and/or size is your dog?

When you purchase a crate, be sure to get a very heavy sturdy crate.... the kind that is open (not solid walls), so that the dog can see around the room..... your dog might jump and wiggle, while inside the crate, to the point of actually moving the crate around the room.....

Also, you might consider hiring a "baby-sitter"..... a local teenager who would like to earn a few extra dollars.... to stay with your dog while you go out.....

Do you have "Doggie-Daycare" centers in Scotland? Unfortunately, they are usually only open during the daytime business-week hours..... However, they are an excellent resource for dogs with separation anxiety problems....

I hope you can find a solution that allows this dog to remain with you.... You sound like a responsible caring pet owner.....

Very Happy
0 Replies

hrhbabushka

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 04:58 am
Agree Cavfancier
We are working right now on the on the training and are looking into the crate thing. I will avoid drugs at all costs...I think we can work this thing out without them. The sites have been really helpful so thank you so much. Seems that one can teach an old dog new tricks, and that goes for us too!
0 Replies

hrhbabushka

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2003 05:02 am
He's staying..........
.........with us no matter what. He is old, neurotic and grumpy like me - I need training too. I think he is Bearded Collie/ Wheaten Terrier cross and after three owners and umpteen homes I suppose he deserves a little emotional instability - just like us all!
0 Replies

tekana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:15 am
my dog has a kong, but he never uses it..

if your dog is chewing things, perhaps you should invest in a small bottle of a liquid called bitterbite. you just spray it all over your furniture and things you dont want him chewing, and he will stop because dogs dislike the bitter taste... it works wonders for my lab pup
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 10:55 am
hrhbabushka, you've nailed it when you say you need training too. each time i've started training with a new dog - the first class seems to consist of the humans lectured about their part in any difficulties the dog is having. the key to training is consistency on the part of the owner. and i'll swear to the success.

Even with teaching heel (or especially when teaching heel?) - it took me longer to remember to start with my left foot, than it took Bailey to learn to only start walking when I move my left foot. I almost fell over a few times, trying to get my footwork right - but he never faltered.

Good luck!
0 Replies