Alkaline vs. Rechargable Batteries

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:47 am
I have noticed something peculiar. A fresh, plain old alkaline battery will have an expiration date sometimes 4-5 years into the future. I can pick up an unused alkaline battery that has been sitting around for a few years, and it will work perfectly.

On the other hand, a rechargable battery apparently loses its charge, if it is left sitting around. I found that out when I had charged up a bunch of my rechargable camera batteries, and then tried using them after a few months. They were dead as a doornail.

Another thing. My husband claims that the fast battery rechargers hurt the batteries, and shorten their lives. It takes hours to charge the batteries in a regular battery charger. Why is that so?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 864 • Replies: 4
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
Re: Alkaline vs. Rechargable Batteries
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My husband claims that the fast battery rechargers hurt the batteries, and shorten their lives.

This is definitely true of lead-acid batteries. I'll have to do some research to see if it's true of NiMH batteries.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Self-discharge

NiMH has a somewhat higher self-discharge rate than NiCd in the past, which is no more true at present time. The self-discharge is 5-10% on the first day[citation needed], and stabilizes around 0.5-1% per day at room temperature. This is not a problem in the short term, but makes them unsuitable for many light-duty uses, such as clocks, remote controls or safety devices, where the battery would normally be expected to last many months or years. The rate is strongly affected by the temperature at which the batteries are stored with cooler storage temperatures leading to slower discharge rate and longer battery life. The highest capacity cells on the market (> 2700mAh) are reported to have the highest discharge rates.

Quote:

Looks like fast charging is preferred, and a smart battery charger is needed to keep batteries charged up.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal-hydride
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:35 am
Phoenix--

One of Mr. Noddy's hobbies is recharging batteries.

One of these days I will be a Merry Widow. At that time I will decide whether or not I'm up to the intricacies of energy recycling.

I have a feeling that the battery chargers--all four of them-- may be consigned to the "Free to Good Home" stack.

Licentious living! Squandering my inheritance. Feed the cat another goldfish!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:39 am
Phoenix has been sitting around for weeks, trying to come up with something to say on A2K. She has been stumped, however, and reduced to simply watching the other members participate in spirited conversation while she struggled to come up with subject matter.

She read the threads and casually toyed with some batteries that were on her desk.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 01:51 pm
Ratzenhoffer, you sneaky old geezer......... You found me out! Laughing
I think that I am getting too old and jaded to get into discussions about the "meaning of life" and other such matters. If I haven't figured it out by now, I probably never will!

DrewDad- Thanks for the info. I always wondered why, if fast charging is bad for batteries, as Mr. P. has postulated, that those batteries often come in packs with fast chargers included.

Noddy- I find that in my camera, I get more pictures out of the rechargable NiMH batteries. For my Walkman, (yes Gus, I still use a Walkman) I use alkaline batteries, and they last for a long time.
0 Replies