Keeping Turtles as Pets

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 04:46 am
You know, all my life, I only remembe seeing one size box turtle. Ive never seen really smallones nor really biguns. Where does a box turtle spend its youth?
0 Replies

Truthyness

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:40 am
Re: NO
Lisa Simpson wrote:
Are you ready to make a commitment for the next 70 years or so? If not, then don't get a turtle. I have two (I didn't buy either, but rather was given them by irresponsible friends.) I love my guys to death, but they are not as easy to care for as you would think. You have to worry about hibernating them, and if your in a warm climate, that may be tricky. You have to worry about them gaining adequate weight for hibernation (which means weighing them regular and tracking their weight) Captive box turtles are susceptible to a host of problems, prolapse for one. If you do decide to buy one, make sure you are using a reputable breeder and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you ever remove a wild turtle from it's habitat. If you have an specific turtle questions you can PM me.

Yesssssssss! a r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-l-e pet handler. It's good to see.

Allow me to pay you my respects.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:28 am
I had turtles as a kid and of all the pets I've had they were the hardest to keep alive. If they didn't get sick and die they did ridiculous stuff and killed themselves.

One turtle I had was sunning in a bucket on a window sill and did a chin-up that I could not have believed had I not seen it and plunged to his death.

The most fun I had with turtles was with very small ones in a small fish tank. They'd swim beautifully and play tug-o-war with worms I fed them (who were pretty interesting themselves when in the water).

Damn, I hope this doesn't make me get turtles again. I'll have a frickin' zoo!
0 Replies