Marketing Global Warming!!!

vinsan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
i heard US has created thousands of jobs by marketing campaigns on global warming?

Also in developing African countries like Tanzania, the governments are forced by the UN to use unconventional energy sources (like sun, wind etc.) than conventional carbon based fuels. They are simply banned I heard. This causes such countries to suffer in their development, isn't it?

Also is it true that Carbon dioxide has a tendency to accumulate in heated atmosphere & NOT vice versa? ....

Is it true that the proposed carbon tax will be used to make more weaponry?

Plz comment!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 573 • Replies: 9
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:56 pm
Will you believe us if we just say none of this is true?

If you post some links where you "heard" such things, maybe we can help you rebutt them systematically. They are fairly humorous, but I'm sure someone will believe them. 1000's of marketing jobs for global warming? More like 1000's of jobs pretending like global warming doesn't exist. UN banning African countries from using fossil fuels? Since when does the UN have that kind of clout? In the US, the rumor would be using carbon taxes to pay for welfare, not weapons. We aready have lots of money for weapons.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:08 pm
engineer wrote:
Will you believe us if we just say none of this is true?

If you post some links where you "heard" such things, maybe we can help you rebutt them systematically. They are fairly humorous, but I'm sure someone will believe them. 1000's of marketing jobs for global warming? More like 1000's of jobs pretending like global warming doesn't exist.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility. One group alone - Jobs That Matter is hiring people right now to work in 50 different cities as Global Warming activists.

There are ads on Craigslist in pretty much every major city in the U.S. for people to work on various Global Warming campaigns.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/npo/401316730.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/gov/390471692.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/npo/388341171.html
etc...

If there aren't thousands of jobs are all of these ads bogus?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:50 pm
Re: Marketing Global Warming!!!
vinsan wrote:
i heard US has created thousands of jobs by marketing campaigns on global warming?

And?

Quote:
Also in developing African countries like Tanzania, the governments are forced by the UN to use unconventional energy sources (like sun, wind etc.) than conventional carbon based fuels. They are simply banned I heard. This causes such countries to suffer in their development, isn't it?

They aren't being "forced" to do anything. The Global Bioenergy Partnership, which works through/with the UN offers it's services to underdeveloped African countries if they choose to participate to develop sustainable energy sources. It isn't a matter of sustainable sources vs. carbon based sources. It is sustainable sources vs. the status quo (i.e. no electricity, no drinking water, etc...)

Quote:
Also is it true that Carbon dioxide has a tendency to accumulate in heated atmosphere & NOT vice versa? ....

CO2 accumulates pretty much everywhere. You'll need to exaplin your question here better.

Quote:
Is it true that the proposed carbon tax will be used to make more weaponry?

I dunno. What have you got planned over there?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:57 pm
vinsan wrote-

Quote:

Are you against creating jobs?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:45 am
Ok lemme put what I really "heard" and how I "interpret" it.

Quote:
Are you against creating jobs?

I am not against creating Jobs but creating them in an ineffective domain of social service raises my eyebrow.

The US government funded money for global warming is spent on creating jobs. How much is really spent on plans or actions against global warming? How effective are such plans? Do we have any reports on this produced by the government?

I ask this question because using "THE RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT" in India, I can ask government to produce the planned funds and actual expenditure on global warming campaign that my government funds. And government does produce an annual report.

One of my American friends is working for such commercial GW firms. She is paid $100 for one campaign she attends and volunteers. But what they do is schedule campaigns in US cities openly causing traffic.

Campaigns on AIDS and / or by Anti War RED CROSS are now least interested JOBS compared to global warming which are more prosperous (highly paid).

Also being so many GW organizations made in US only, how do anti global warming campaigns be truly GLOBAL?

Moreover the better and more aggressive GW activists, are sent for campaigns abroad. And they travel by air.

Whereas it is proven that, sea voyage causes less pollution.

Quote:
They aren't being "forced" to do anything. The Global Bioenergy Partnership, which works through/with the UN offers it's services to underdeveloped African countries if they choose to participate to develop sustainable energy sources. It isn't a matter of sustainable sources vs. carbon based sources. It is sustainable sources vs. the status quo (i.e. no electricity, no drinking water, etc...)

Having anti carbon rules as suggestions is very convenient way to putting direct constraints on developing countries. Wouldn't it?

Now people defend the point above, by giving example of China as the next Big polluter after US, saying developing countries may follow same wrong footsteps of the developed countries. But the truth is other developing countries like India and Brazil still shows much less quantity of carbon production compared to the developed countries.

Quote:

CO2 accumulates pretty much everywhere. You'll need to exaplin your question here better.

With CO2 accumulation, what I mean is when temperature on the Earth rises, amount of Carbon dioxide dissolving in water or escaping in the higher altitudes of atmosphere reduces. It accumulates in the lower layer and thus further increases the heating effect.

A typical lab experiment is two closed air filled systems (say 2 tightly insulated boxes) connected though a narrow tube. One of the system is heated to a higher temperature. The tube is insulated enuf to not let the heat pass from the heated system to the other. From the middle of the tube we pass CO2. The Co2 has equal chance to enter both the system simultaneously. But the amount CO2 entering in the heated system is more than the cooler one.

So other factors like sun being the possibility behind global warming than carbon based fuel also becomes very likely.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:18 pm
The "US Government" is not spending to promote awareness of global warming. The current administration denies that there is such a thing.
I don't doubt that NGO's are creating jobs to lobby for their positions, but I interpreted the original question to imply that the US was spending its budget promoting greenhouse awareness instead of trying to reduce emissions. It is doing neither.

The idea that other countries (including developing ones) need to curb their emisions before the US does is just a political ploy from those opposed to limits in the US. There is no effort to actually force anyone to reduce emissions. However, developing in an emissions friendly manner is a lot more efficient than developing with high emissions and then trying to fix it later.

Interesting experiment, but I doubt your results. Assuming two interconnected boxes with equal volumes tied together so that they have equal pressures, the CO2 will defuse based on the appropriate gas law. Just to take the ideal gas law, you have n1 T1 = n2 T2, so the box with the higher temperture will have less moles of gas total and less CO2. Note that this is not a good model for the atmosphere since the atmosphere is not at a constant volume and is free to expand at higher temperatures.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 12:38 pm
vinsan wrote-

Quote:
I am not against creating Jobs but creating them in an ineffective domain of social service raises my eyebrow.

You need to justify "ineffective".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:52 pm
vinsan wrote:
Quote:

Having anti carbon rules as suggestions is very convenient way to putting direct constraints on developing countries. Wouldn't it?

There is no such thing as "rules as suggestions". The two are completely differnt concepts. Rules are engforced and can't be violated. Suggestions are free for the talking and up to the receiver to implemnt or not as they see fit.

The Global Bioenergy Partnership isn't pushing any "rules". They make funds and equipment available. If countries decide to accept it that is up to them.

If a friend offers to buy you a cup of coffee would you say that they are "forcing" you not to drink milk?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 02:55 am
engineer wrote:
The "US Government" is not spending to promote awareness of global warming. The current administration denies that there is such a thing.
I don't doubt that NGO's are creating jobs to lobby for their positions, but I interpreted the original question to imply that the US was spending its budget promoting greenhouse awareness instead of trying to reduce emissions. It is doing neither.

The idea that other countries (including developing ones) need to curb their emisions before the US does is just a political ploy from those opposed to limits in the US. There is no effort to actually force anyone to reduce emissions. However, developing in an emissions friendly manner is a lot more efficient than developing with high emissions and then trying to fix it later.

Interesting experiment, but I doubt your results. Assuming two interconnected boxes with equal volumes tied together so that they have equal pressures, the CO2 will defuse based on the appropriate gas law. Just to take the ideal gas law, you have n1 T1 = n2 T2, so the box with the higher temperture will have less moles of gas total and less CO2. Note that this is not a good model for the atmosphere since the atmosphere is not at a constant volume and is free to expand at higher temperatures.

Hmm interesting....
0 Replies