Magnets

Imdumb

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 10:41 pm
Hey guys

My first Post.

I was wondering

Is it possible to magnetize ( I can't spell..Im dumb )
1 side of a piece of metal as a positive?(is that it, positive and negatively charged?)
and give another piece of metal as a negatively charged??

(wow) spell check!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 825 • Replies: 12
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:50 am
When you magnetize a piece of metal, one side will be positive the other side negative. You can't put a charge on just one side. Does that answer your question?
0 Replies

Imdumb

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:51 pm
It does.

But, Is there anyway to put a positive charge too one piece of metal and a negative charge to another? or can it only be positive and negative on another? almost the way a battery works, one side of the battery gives off a positive charge while the other gives off a positive charge?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:52 pm
You're not as dumb as you claim to be.

You are taking the piss. You are trying to draw those who once read an article in Scientific American which led them to think they are well educated into making a fool of themselves.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:23 pm
Spendi, you just leave the frogs standing. Is that last response available in English?

IMDUMB, first of all a battery doesn't have two positive poles it has a positive and a negative pole. These poles are electrical not magnetic, so you can keep it simple and not bother about a battery. Second if you are asking the question: can you have a magnet with only one pole, or as you seem to be phrasing it, a pole on one side, the answer is no.

You can easily prove it. Get a bar magnet, they are readily available, cut it in half. So do you have a piece with just a north pole and a piece with just a south pole or do you have two, albeit smaller, magnets? You get two magnets with two poles apiece. You can keep this up and keep dividing your magnet until you get to the level of the magnetic domain or you get board, you will never get one pole apiece.

That is a trivial question. If you are then to ask why that is, you get into the realm of profound questions. You are asking why there are no magnetic monopoles. A magnet with only one pole is termed a magnetic monopole. There is no currently accepted answer to that question. Scientists have been looking for your type of magnet for quite a while; expending enormous amounts of personal an accelerator based energy.

Current theory says that just as bazillions of electric monopoles (protons, electrons, and neutrons) are flying around everywhere so there should be magnetic monopoles. The equations say both should exist. Why the universe doesn't allow for magnetic monopoles anywhere is a complete mystery.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:29 pm
That's what I was trying to say but I don't like long-winded explanations because I know modern readers have short attention spans.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:32 pm
OK. So was I also
Quote:
taking the piss?
or just
Quote:
making a fool of myself?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 05:35 pm
TCR wrote-

Quote:
Scientists have been looking for your type of magnet for quite a while; expending enormous amounts of personal an accelerator based energy.

I think they have been expending large amounts of taxpayer's cash when it could have been used to reduce the price of beer and tobacco.
0 Replies

Imdumb

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:19 pm
Wow, I never expected anyone to be upset....and no I wasn't talking about any kind of magazine or artictle....I don't read science articles...

I guess the question wasn't the right question. In short, the one person willing to spend any time answering my question rather than trying to Take a "crap" on my question made some sense in what I was trying to understand.

Now, To the next question. Don't bother reading it if your a clown.
excuse me.

"Scientists have been looking for your type of magnet for quite a while; expending enormous amounts of personal an accelerator based energy."

Can you tell me what Accelerator based energy is and can you tell me what it takes to break a magnets polarity

Thanks
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:19 pm
What I meant is that they have been working very hard and doing lots of experiments on their particle accelerators looking for magnetic monopolesÂ…they were using a lot of accelerator energy.

In relation to what it takes to break a magnet's polarity as you say, macroscopically you can demagnetize a magnet, DEGAUSS it, which would get rid of both poles and you just wouldn't have a magnet. The amount of energy needed depends on the strength of the magnetic field of the magnet. But you can't de-pole a magnet, as I said before you always have two poles or you don't have a magnet.
0 Replies

Imdumb

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:15 pm
Thanks for the answer to the first part.

The second part. my question was simply what it took to "degauss" a magnet. I wanted to know how to rid a magnet of all its magnetic properties. basically leaving a piece of metal.

What kind of energy does it take to degauss a magnet, regardless of the strenght of the magnet?

Like my name says, I'm not the brightest of individuals. I never graduated school. I'm sorry if my questions seem rather ignorant

thanks
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 06:10 pm
Now you are at an engineering problem, and I think that you would be well advised to use your search engine with the words

MagnetWikipedia

Since magnets are widely used in engineering there are several ways to magnetize and demagnetize (degauss) some objects.

It largely depends on the material and the purposes for which a magnet is intended.
0 Replies

Imdumb

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 08:06 pm
much obliged
0 Replies