Wavelength and energy questions.

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 04:38 am
I was just wondering, "how" exactly radio waves start turning into microwaves into light into UV etc..

Are they all the same, damn ill try to elaborate. hard question...

Light for example, is created by lightbulbs is created by electricity through a filament creating heat and light.

How are radiowaves created?

dOES THIS MEAN ITS POSSIBLE TO USE ON DEVICE TO CREATE WAVES THROUGH THE WHOLE SPECTRUM?

im sorta lost but wiki is helpin Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 648 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:40 am
Re: Wavelength and energy questions.
OGIONIK wrote:
I was just wondering, "how" exactly radio waves start turning into microwaves into light into UV etc..

Are they all the same, damn ill try to elaborate. hard question...

They are all the same in that they are radiowaves. The "differences" are in the wavelengths of those waves.

Quote:
Light for example, is created by lightbulbs is created by electricity through a filament creating heat and light.

How are radiowaves created?

In a similar fashion. In a light bulb, electricity passes through a high resistance filament which heats up and glows throwing off photons. Different materials can be used in the filaments to make the bulb give off slightly different colors of light.

Radiowaves are magnetic flux. Every time electricty flows through a conductor a magnetic field is created. The frequency of the flux (measured in Hz.) is determined by the frequency of the electric current applied to the conductor. The strength of the magnetic field is determined by the amount of current flowing through the conductor. By "tuning" a receiver to the same frequency we can pick up that resulting flux.

This is very, very basic and there are a lot of other considerations that go into the overall process.

Quote:

dOES THIS MEAN ITS POSSIBLE TO USE ON DEVICE TO CREATE WAVES THROUGH THE WHOLE SPECTRUM?

The "whole spectrum" would run from 0Hz to infinity so, while it is possible in theory, it isn't practical (or cost effective). Instead we build different devices to use specific ranges of the frequency spectrum.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:44 am
so they are basically ripples caused by electrons moving?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 06:46 am
OGIONIK wrote:
so they are basically ripples caused by electrons moving?

That's about as basic as it gets, yes... lol
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 07:18 am
Thanks fishin
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:17 pm
All electromagnetic radiation from 0 Hz to whatever frequency you like is all made of the same thing : photons.

When I was first learning about radar I asked this question :

I have an antenna that emits RF radiation, if I turn up the frequency of my generator enough will the antenna begin to emit light ?

The bottom line is that yes, it will.
The problem is that an antenna such as the one you have on your car isn't very good at converting electricity into light so while it would be emitting light at the appropriate frequency it would be doing so amazingly inefficiently and it would be hard to detect assuming you could detect it at all.
This is why the design of antennas change as you increase in frequency. It's to make them efficient at emitting and receiving the radiation of the appropriate frequency.

Assume you have a magic antenna on your car that is efficient at all frequencies.
Then you could turn up the frequency of your input generator and the antenna would emit radio waves, then microwaves through infra-red to green and through the violet and on into the ultraviolet continuing on into x-rays and gamma radiation.
You would see it get hot and then start glowing red and then green then blue and in a short time you'd have a splendid suntan because of the invisible ultraviolet being emitted.
Then you'd be in trouble because of the x-rays and gamma radiation destroying your DNA.
So best you keep your magic antenna in a sturdy box.
Very Happy
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 01:36 am
VERY INFORMATIVE. so when people say people say the speed of light they actually mean the speed of a photon in a perfect vacum that makes sense...
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:49 am
Yes.
The speed of light is the speed of a photon in a perfect vacuum.

The speed of light changes according to what medium you are in.
For example, the speed of light in water is much lower than in a vacuum so it is possible for a particle to travel faster than light in that medium. When they do you get Cerenkov radiation.
0 Replies