The 2007 stock market

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 10:17 pm
Home sales are down over 50 percent in some parts of our county; most are also showing price drops. I think this trend is going to get worse for the next several years. Money and lenders just doesn't pop out out of nowhere when banks and financial institutions are still writing off billions of dollars in bad loans.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 04:54 pm
Interesting market day: swing over 500 points, but ended the day with 298 points on the upside. Tempororary? You betcha! No magic wand out there to correct what's ailing our consumers; high debt and no assets.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:07 pm
True enough, but I doubt the turbulence will last more than a year. My holdings are up 20% in 2007 in a fairly conservative portfolio. The market is a long term play and 10% per year is a good average in any decade.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:57 pm
I hope you're right, georgeob. There are some financial pundits out there with the same opinion - and some even talk about a shorter period.

I don't worry too much, because we're spread out into several funds and bonds, and our balance today is a lot healtheir than it was just a few years ago. That's the big picture for us.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:32 pm
just listened to JAMES FALOWS of THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY being interviewed .
he has just - 4 days ago - come back from china after spending 1 1/2 years there .
it's a four page article and you'll have to go to the link to read it .
to make some sense of the $1.4 trillion that the chinese have lent to the U.S. : EVERY american owes the chinese FOUR-THOUSAND DOLLARS !
here are the first few lines of the article .
hbg

Quote:

source and full article :
THE $1.4 TRILLION QUESTION
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 07:37 pm
hbg, It seems China is finally waking up from the stupor; their investments in US bonds continue to lose value, and their competitiveness becomes a handicap because their currency is tied to the US dollar that continues to lose value.

They must pay through the back door, and their people are paying the piker; they're still very poor with not much of modern conveniences.

China also has internal problems like pollution and no fresh drinking water. I'm not sure how long a growing economy can live under those conditions; but I'd guess not too long.

If the Chinese starts to unload US treasuries, their value will drop like a dead weight with no buyers.

Interesting scenario for Americans and the world at large.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 08:18 pm
Over the last seven years, Republican makers of economic policy haven't given me much reason for praise. Or for patience, even. But Ben Bernanke is an exception. America is very, very fortunate to have a Fed chairman who at least tries to prevent a financial meltdown and a deep recession in the real economy. The contrast with the ECB's self-righteous Trichet, who refuses to even hint at cutting rates, couldn't be clearer, and couldn't be more favorable for your country.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 04:11 pm
considering that it is estimated that the U.S. has "borrowed" about
1.4 TRILLION DOLLARS from china , the $143bn that the banks may need looks like pocket change - but not out of my pocket , PLEASE !.
hbg

Quote:
Banks 'may need an extra $143bn'

Banks may need to raise as much as $143bn (£77bn) to weather the credit crisis, Barclays Capital reports.
They say the banks will need extra money if bond insurers, who insure the products at the centre of the sub-prime crisis, lose their top credit ratings.

If their credit ratings are cut, it could make it harder for it them to pay out, leading to banks reporting bigger losses on sub-prime debt.

Fears about bond insurers helped spark off this week's stock market falls.

The world's largest banks have already admitted losing more than $100bn from mortgage bonds gone bad.

$820bn at risk

Analysts at Barclays Capital said banks own $820bn of securities guaranteed by bond insurers.

"This is a huge amount, but the assumptions used are also very aggressive, designed only to show how, taken to its extreme..., bank capital could be influenced," the Barclays Capital report said.

Bond insurers, such as Ambac Financial Group and MBIA, have suffered billions of dollars of write-downs in recent months and are expected to sustain more, after insuring debt hit by the sub-prime mortgage crisis.

Investor fears

Many investors fear the insurers have too little capital given their obligations, and worry that a cut in their credit rating would make it more expensive for them to borrow money.

Ratings agency Fitch cut Ambac's rating last week, while rival agencies Moody's and Standard & Poor's are reviewing Ambac's and MBIA's ratings.

However, there is some optimism for the sector after reports that billionaire Wilbur Ross was in talks to acquire Ambac.

The reports follow comments this week from New York State regulators saying they would consider lending support to the struggling bond insurance industry.

Sub-prime exposure

Firms like Ambac are know as 'monoline' insurers and are at the centre of the sub-prime crisis.

The sub-prime market is focused on providing home loans to those with limited or poor credit histories.

Many of these mortgages were converted into financial instruments and sold on to investors including banks.

But a series of interest rate rises over the past two years has meant many sub-prime borrowers could no longer afford their monthly payments, causing them to default.

This led to a steep fall in the value of investments linked to sub-prime loans and has caused many banks to report massive losses.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/business/7209839.stm

Published: 2008/01/25 18:30:53 GMT

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 05:10 pm
hbg, Unfortunately, it's not only Canadians that will feel the pinch in their pocket books. It'll also be China and Europe. When we cough, everybody catches a cold.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 05:25 pm
Home mortgage interest rates have already increased in Australia (suppodedly he says cynically) because Aust banking sector exposure to the subprime fallout.
Pretty marginal rise though.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:30 pm
c.i. wrote :

Quote:
When we cough, everybody catches a cold.

the saudis and others in the region still seem to be doing reasonably well - for the moment .
with most of their money tied up in U.S. dollar securities they must beginning to fele just a tad uneasy - i guess that's why the price of oil when up pronto when the tax rebate was announced - they want their pound of flesh .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:45 pm
hbg, They are short-sighted; they need to wait until our ecoomy and all other economies begins to show some recovery for the long-term health of their money-grubbing oil mongols. A one time uptick in oil prices only means that most people will not be helping their respective communities to gain those one time shot in the arm. It only delays what will follow; a real downturn in all economies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:45 pm
They're not going to be selling too much oil then.
0 Replies