Ground Hogs

quinn1

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 08:59 pm
I discovered a fat and seemingly happy little ground hog in my back yard this morning. Intersting since I live in the middle of the city but, I was just glad it wasnt like, a rat, or another skunk even.
There is a great number of skunks and raccoons here so, animal life is okay with me..and I just now am trying to figure out some things.
Who is most likely to get into the garbage?
My thought is the raccoons.
Who is most likely to dig up the plant roots?
I thought before I saw this guy it would be the skunks.
How did he get sooo fat?
Should I worry that one of the neighbors with a garden might want to rid themselves of this cute little guy?
Is he who has been getting the cat in a uproar in the dawn/dusk hours?
There was a squirrel acting VERY strange last weekend and being quite vocal from the trunk of a tree....could he have come face to face with this guy?

So many questions....and I think the answers are finally coming together...ahhhh...a ground hog.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,257 • Replies: 24
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:16 pm
Aw, these critters are so cute. But, I learned not so long ago that they can be a pest. But, I wouldn't make the choice to get rid of the critter my self. They do eat garden plants. They also, according to the critter killer that my bosses called into their property, can destablize ground when they burrow beneath it. This guy said he'd seen personally a patio that collapsed because of ground hog burrows. I say the likelihood of that happening (if you had a patio) is slim.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 10:48 pm
Just to nibble at one question, your cats are probably reacting to other cats. Matter of fact, this was quite an issue in the early hours this morning. Of course, my cats are male - more or less.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:37 am
Groundhogs are not likely to raid your garbage cans. They are dedicated vegetarians seeking out the freshest and most delectable plants for themselves and their kids.

Obviously they raid gardens.

I'm guessing that your chunk of suburbia is fairly close to either woodlots or farm land. One reason skunks and raccoons have adapted so well to suburban living is that they are nocturnal. Groundhogs like to sleep at night and forage during the day.

They may look fat and cuddly. They aren't particularly. They are very turf aware animals with a generous share of aggressive impulses. Ground hog males have been know to battle, drawing blood. When the loser tries to flee, the winner follows and rips his tail off.

Cats and dogs may be regarded as invaders and dealt with in ground hog fashion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 03:42 pm
Lord - here we have a SERIOUS groundhog thread!

Roger, did you not say they can harbour rabies somewhere?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 03:43 pm
A FAT groundhog? pregnant? Or, do they hibernate and therefore store fat?

perhaps they just estivate......
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 03:50 pm
groundhogs are now beginning their prep for hibernation. In the NE they usually start hibernating as early as october. they start stirring as early as January . Hence the Groundhog day lcelebration. We needed a rat in winter so we could party. since we dont have hedgehogs in this hemisphere, we chose the american marmot.
Cute little guys, tasty too.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:48 pm
Ah..thanks all for stopping in and assisting with the ground hog questions.
The cat issue..well, they are always reacting to cats in the prowl and lately they have had episodes of some seriously strange reactions. Having the blinds drawn to keep the abode cooler Im not sure but, I had put it in the back of my head to check out another time.
I live not in the slightest near any farmland or wooded area, in fact I m about two blocks from the beach and the closest wooded area is MUCH too far for a tiny critter like that to travel and many other nice gardens to carry on in on the way.
My yard howwever is going through a lovely transition from a fairly large lot for the area that is pleasant and lovely to some wildflower infested overgrown jungle...must have a great number of snakes this year if I were to give that a guess as well.
The holes....eh..probably help, couldnt hurt.
Do they eat fruits? One large branch of the pear tree is hanging on the ground now, might have a nice treat in a couple weeks.
So the guy is fat cuz hes storing up..good, I thought maybe he just lucked out in the new jungle area and was a happy little soul.
I wouldnt mess with him thats for sure....cute and cuddly or not...that would just be asking for it. Ill just watch him, thats fine.
How well do they see...anyone know?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:57 pm
My dog had a real fight to the death with a ground hog. Dog won.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 04:42 am
Nasty varmints...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 05:01 am
They make a good Kentucky Burgoo though, especially if you are fresh out of opossum.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:27 am
Thought they were vegetarian - they cook MEAT?!!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 06:47 am
Okay, Rolling Eyes, I should have said they taste good in a Kentucky Burgoo...
0 Replies

tekana

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:59 am
i have never even seen a groundhog, or a skunk (thank god) or a racoon come to think of it...

ah england. tis heavanly here.
0 Replies

nesetm

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:08 pm
ground hogs
My garbage has been recenlty getting raided. I spotted what looks like a "marmot" or groundhog I guess? Do you think it could be anything else?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:17 pm
Absent more information, I would suspect dogs first, cats second. A racoon could do it, and maybe a skunk.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:20 pm
Oh, I see I didn't answer Dlowan's question of 5 years ago. I've probably said several times that plague is endemic in our prairie dog population. I don't know about rabies in prairie dogs or groundhogs.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:11 am
Some questions are ageless. Next up will be a request for a western style breakfast.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:41 am
Nesetm--

Welcome to A2K.

Is your garbage in cans or bags?

Groundhogs are vegetarians and while they can ruin a garden, they aren't much interested in garbage.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:33 am
Farmerman, do not temp me.
0 Replies