Poetry readings

peakdistrict

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:14 am
bree wrote:
peakdistrict,

Thanks for letting me know your reaction to 'Slow Train'. It touches a chord with me, too, even though I have never been to any of the places mentioned in the song. That's interesting about the names of the closed stations.

Welcome to A2K!

Thank you for the kind greeting! Felicitations to you, also!

Sadly, my emotional journey forces me to revisit some of these places each year on my annual trip 'home'.

Another work I must 'use' with caution is Auden's 'Night Mail', particularly Sir John Betjeman's reading of it. A lovely black and white film of this sometimes plays in the National Railway Museum, York.
I would also suggest the magnificent short stories of Kipling, for the way in which he handles the whole subject of rail travel.

A votre service........................
0 Replies

peakdistrict

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:21 am
Re: Poetry reading
Tomkitten wrote:
Hi, peakdistrict, and Happy Holidays!

Do you have any other Flanders & Swan lyrics? I tried googling them, but didn't come up with anything much except for one site which is being revised, and no help right now.

I am particularly hoping to find the lyrics to their version of This Old Man Came Rolling Home.

Dear Tomkitten,

I see that you have already been provided with the same link I used! This listed ALL the lyrics (and transcriptions of the spoken words) on ALL the Flanders & Swann albums and EPs). There are only one or two typographical errors, and the site is a joy to use.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:05 am
That's it, Piffka, that's it!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:03 am
Poetry reading
Has anyone else any other of the Flanders & Swan lyrics? Several years ago our record player finally gave up the ghost, and we donated our vinyl to the New England Conservatory. That was all very well, but it turns out that some of the things we gave away were never put onto tape, F&S being among them. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The tunes I can remember, but some of the lyrics escape me.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 10:01 am
peak district,

I saw the film of "Night Mail" many years ago, and loved it. I'm not familiar with Betjeman's reading -- I'll have to see if I can find a recording of it.

There was a thread about "Night Mail" a while back that you might be interested in. It's at:

"Night Mail" thread
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
peakdistrict - no, actually, I haven't got a good link. Can you give me the one you used? You'll have my undying gratitude!
0 Replies

peakdistrict

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:32 am
Tomkitten wrote:
peakdistrict - no, actually, I haven't got a good link. Can you give me the one you used? You'll have my undying gratitude!

The link is as follows:

www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fas/lyrics.html

If ever there is a reading of railway verse, in the Boston area, let me know. I might even volunteer!
0 Replies

peakdistrict

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:58 am
bree wrote:
peak district,

I saw the film of "Night Mail" many years ago, and loved it. I'm not familiar with Betjeman's reading -- I'll have to see if I can find a recording of it.

There was a thread about "Night Mail" a while back that you might be interested in. It's at:

"Night Mail" thread

Thank you for the link......most enjoyable!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 01:31 pm
Great link, peak; I've put it in my Favorites, and plan to do a whole bunch of downloading.
0 Replies