Selling old albums -- how to find a buyer?

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:36 pm
Digging through my garage I came across a box of old albums. Most of them rock and new wave and punk.

Mr. B said that he thought I could sell them for a lot of money so I started looking around. Some of them do appear to be worth quite a (one may be worth about $70.00!) bit but I would have to spend forever learning about it and researching each one (there are probably 100 albums).

I'm really pinched for time though. I don't want to get ripped off by heading to some resale music store where they might not know what's what.

Is there one good site for researching such things?

How does I find a buyer that won't take advantage of my ignorance?

Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,674 • Replies: 37
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:42 pm
They have to be in extremely good condition to be worth very much. I suggest selling on Ebay.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 01:48 pm
They're in good shape.

I really don't really want to go the eBay route but would rather have someone look them over and make me an offer.

I know that a lot of them aren't worth anything more than a buck or two and I'll probably just give those away, but some of these I think might be quite rare.

I'd just rather not have some $10 an hour cashier making the call on what they're worth.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:09 pm
Here's a couple I've found:

Meet The Beatles Stereo copy, Capitol #ST2047. "Beatles" in brown print. VG / VG. $30.00.

One exactly like this which is $20.00 on eBay:

http://i21.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/a6/af/a43e_1.JPG
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:32 pm
I have used deal time just to see what people are willing to buy and sell at.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 02:35 pm
Instead of selling the classics, why not frame them? You can find album-cover sized frames in craft stores (Michael's, JoAnn, etc.)
I've framed some - Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, Zepplin.

Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 05:32 pm
It really has a lot to do with demand. Some years ago, my husband wanted to sell some of his classical records. He put an ad in the paper. We lived in NY at the time. A guy came from Ohio with a van. He gave us $350- for one particular record. Overall, we averaged about $15- a record. The guy from Ohio had a business where he had certain records presold in Germany and Japan.

The thing is, that was 13 years ago, and the records that were sold were in pristine condition.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 05:41 pm
I'm going to have to have Dys look at mine/listen(?). I have some classics, natch, classics that might have gotten too warm; maybe a few jazz albums of import, and some opera I picked up in a thrift shop that looks untouched (Renata Tebaldi, for example). Well, probably nada, and I might as well start playing them again. (I still have my B & O turntable).

Girl is pretty happy, she just unpacked the bulk of her cds....

Would that I still lived on Glendon Avenue... I was three blocks from the one and only Rhino records back when it started. Least I think that was the hq.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 06:01 pm
You know how to look on Ebay at the sold items? Good research tool. Or there's got to be forums/message boards with the info you're looking for.

I'll give you $10 for the whole lot. Shipping included.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:12 pm
No I don't know how to look at sold items on eBay, Slappy. How do you do that?

And thanks for the tip!

$10.00? Hmmmm. Attractive. But you'd have to drive to Portland and spend a few days squiring me around to get them at that price.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:35 pm
I'm having a hard time finding info on pre-release promotional copies and what they might be worth. So far I have come across pre-release copies of:

U2 -- Boy
Tom Waites -- Heartattack and Vine
Public Image LTD. -- Flowers for Romance

I think there are other pre-release things in there too.

I also have a copy of Teenage Jesus and The Jerks self titled album pressed on pink vinyl that I can't find any mention of. Some Teenage Jesus albums are selling for a lot ($25.00 and up) and this was, I think, their first, and it's pink so I'm thinking that maybe it's worth something.

(I mention these just in case anyone is good at researching such things.)

I came across a Rocky Horror Picture Show picture disc that seems to be selling for upwards of $25.00.

I thought the Jimi Hendrix Experience album might be worth something but it seems to be going for about $7.00.

It's a toss up on Captain Beefheart and Henry Mancini to check out next. I also have some marching band music. Weird.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:58 pm
Check it out!!! I found it!

10618 Teenage Jesus and the Jerks Same Migraine CC-336-LL $90 us pink wax m-/m-

$90.00! Wow.

I wonder what m- means. My copy is pristine, missing the shrink wrap but with very little wear and tear. Mostly because Lydia Lunch was too strange for my tastes.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 08:08 pm
Back when I was a radio DJ we used to get in cases of sample records that producers wanted us to play. We made frisbees out of them and smashed 'em. Some of them are worth a fortune today. I coulda been a MILLIONAIRE!!! Oh well...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:28 am
I bet you could just kick yourself, NickFun.

Another find:

Waits Tom Heartattack And Vine
24406 rare, Hard To Get! Condition Sleeve/record: M-/m- White Label Promo Style: Rock 70 Special Order LP 78.56
(http://www.musicstack.com/album/tom_waits/heartattack_and_vine)

Another site has it listed for $57.50. (http://gemm.com/search/artist/Waits-Tom/Waits-c-Tom/H/)

I'm going to start keeping track of what I find and where I find it for handy future refrence.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:31 am
Teenage Jesus site: http://www.recordeli.dk/html/rare%20lp/rarelpcat%20t.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:31 am
so are you going to go the ebay route at all?
or are you still against it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:42 am
It's not really that I'm against it. It's more like not having time to deal with a learning curve to figure it all out. I'd really just rather find a buyer for all of them at once.

I did tell Mr. B that even researching it was taking up a lot of time and that we might as well go ahead and move them.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
there are people who will sell your stuff for you on ebay for a small fee.

I have not used anyone ( though I am considering it myself) but I cant imagine they would charge too much..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:23 am
Another good find:

KRAFTWERK - NUMBERS/COMPUTER WORLD RARE PROMO 12''MINT

End price:
USD
End date:
2006-04-21

Start price:
USD
Start date:
2006-04-18

Number of bids:
Auctioned at:
ebay

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4867684636
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 11:26 am
And another....

Robert Rental and the Normal buy it now price on eBay $39.99

http://i20.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/8f/e4/06ad_2.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robert-Rental-LIVE-WEST-RUNTON-Rough-Trade-USA-RARE-NM_W0QQitemZ300090657665QQcmdZViewItem
0 Replies