The Global Village..........

Ceili

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 08:54 pm
If Earth's population was shrunk into a village of just 100 people - with all the human ratios existing in the world still remaining - what would this tiny, diverse village look like? That's exactly what Phillip M. Harter, a medical doctor at Stanford University School of Medicine, attempted to figure out. This is what he found.

57 would be Asian
21 would be European
14 would be from the Western Hemisphere
8 would be African

52 would be female
48 would be male

70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian

30 would be white
70 would be nonwhite

89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59 percent of the entire worlds wealth, and all 6 would be from the United States.

80 would live in substandard housing

70 would be unable to read

50 would suffer from malnutrition

1 would be near death.

1 would be pregnant

1 would have a college education

1 would own a computer

The following is an anonymous interpretation:

Think of it this way. If you live in a good home, have plenty to eat and can read, you are a member of a very select group. And if you have a good house, food, can read and have a computer, you are among the very elite.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation.... you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death,...you are fortunate, more than three billion people in the world can't.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace...you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If your parents are still alive and still married....you are very rare, even in the United States.

If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful....you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.

If you can hold someone's hand, hug them or even touch them on the shoulder you are blessed because you can offer a healing touch.

If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you, and futhermore, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world.. that cannot read at all.

Have a good day, & count your blessings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 900 • Replies: 3
No top replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 05:51 pm
And if you have all those blessing you are more than likely to be an American.
Would you say that God has blessed America?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 11:11 am
Only ONE of them would be pregnant? I would selflessly sacrifice myself (assuming I am one of the white guys from the western hemosphere) to impregnate all the women of child bearing age to repopulate the Earth. Also, I would get to know those 6 rich guys really well and maybe they'll help me out with a few bucks. And I would teach those 70 people to read. And build some nice homes for the 80. I could handle much of this alone and even more with the help of others. Maybe the world just has TOO MANY people!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 02:31 pm
Ceili, i had read this before, but without the name of the author. Thank you for bringing it to our attention again and for providing a source.

Au, I don't think any loving God would bless one country over so many others in such an arbitrary way and to the detriment of so many.

NickFun, if you were the one with a computer, you would be too busy on a2k to do all the things you have in mind.
0 Replies