Princess Bibliophilia is looking to sell

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:47 pm
As some of you know, I hauled a lot of books with me on my last move.

In my previous lives, I've given away - to a high school, and my old design school, and thrift shops - oh, probably upwards of a thousand books. Who knows, probably way more.

When I left my last abode, I tried to cull and sell, and did, at a local used book store back there in California. The culled that the store didn't want, I gave to thrifts.

Still, lotta books.

I wasn't out of my mind, no, no. Or not completely. I still am very fond of all the books I've been unpacking. And given I caught on to mailing them via the post office, the moving book total wasn't all that horrible. But.. a smaller house, together with some changed priorities, clues me in that I need to divest.

I have art books, a few of them fairly valuable, many rather ordinary but conceivably of interest to different folks.

Landscape architecture/urban planning/garden books - same story, and as with the art books, I'll be keeping .... some.

Cook books, a few of surprising value, most treasures only to me.

Books on Italy - I probably had 300, most of which I'd read at one point. I had been writing a book on piazzas, and I culled anecdotes from a variety of sources.. Now, I probably still have a publisher, still have my developed outlines, but am less and less likely to finish that as opposed to doing something else. And if I did, I have the old bibliography, and could improve on that with more recent information out there.
So, I will keep some of the books, but there's a big batch that can just go.

I'm not interested in donating, as I could use the moolah, and a donation deductible is not useful now.

So -

if you were me, would you try different book websites? Stick with one?
Use ebay (I'm an ebay naif)? Do you have a favorite to buy or sell from?

I do remember having one or two website addresses that bookstores use to check value, but... of course.... I've lost track of those. Anyone know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 13
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:59 pm
On the few books where I've been interested in the value I've used the "Hard-to-Find" section of booksamillion.com . They are tied in with hundreds of small bookshops all over the U.S. and you can see what others are trying to sell the book for.

If I was selling more than a handful I'd open an account on Amazon.com and list them there. EBay may be an alternative if time is an issue...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:03 pm
Time isn't an issue.

Craigs List occurs to me too, although the one here seems low wattage on books, I suppose I could look around.

Thanks for the link.

Any one sold books on ebay? I've been thinking about grouping them... or, grouping some of them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:24 pm
Hmmm, I just remembered McMurtry. He might be right for a few of them (the ones I least want to part with). Wonder if his place does buy/sell.

<wanders off>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:27 pm
A friend of the hamburgers makes a decent living selling through

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/Sell/

but she's dissolving a used bookstore so has a huge stock base.

Not sure if that would work for your needs.

The half.com book portion of ebay seem fairly easily navigable.

http://sell.half.ebay.com/ws/web/HalfSellHome?halfMetaTag=books

~~~

Maybe compare values on a coupla books at various sites?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:59 pm
i've had pretty good luck here on occasion but mostly on the buying end.

www.mcintyreandmoore.com
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:04 pm
Mikey, is that you? How are you? (none of my business, of course).

I'm bookmarking all the sites.

Thanks on abe books, I've looked at it before, think it was one of the ones I liked. I seem to remember it has a range... past best sellers.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:08 pm
i'm fine osso,

back to slaying the lobsters again and always looking for books on irish history if you have any.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:15 pm
Italian 'history' up the kazoo, but not irish (which I am, as you know).

I do have some serious rosary beads, but I'm unable to part with them (my grandfather's - my own are long gone). The ones I wish I'd nabbed - my family had a bunch - were the ones from the Rosary Crusade of Father Patrick Peyton (Miracle of Fatima movie), a family friend. Those were made, seemingly, of cast iron, engineered, rosary beads.
I was a rosary bead lover as a girl.

Times change, but sentiment stays.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:29 pm
a true watertown italian girl, rosary beads and all. "leave the beads and send the cannoli's".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 09:35 pm
<grins>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:19 am
The Used Books section of Amazon might be a place to get your feet wet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/sell-your-stuff.html/ref=sv_gw_5/102-5805506-0965726
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 07:41 am
You might try Powells (www.Powells.com). I'm not sure how it works long distance, they might only give store credit if you don't bring them in person.

They have a deal where you type in the ISBN number and they will make you an offer on the book -- usually 25-30% of it's cover price unless it's rare or hard to find, then it's more!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:25 am
Thanks, Boomer..
I use Powell's to buy books, but didn't know about their buying process, except that I've quaked at their reputed tendency to buy up used book stores (grrrrr).
0 Replies