The passing of which famous person will hit you really hard?

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:08 pm
Robin Williams
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:11 pm
Nelson Mandela, Kerry O'Keefe, Fidel Castro (not for any of the reasons right wing nazi bully boys will think), Charlotte Rampling, David Bowie, Iain Paisley (same comment as Castro), Gough Whitlam, Iggy Pop, John Lydon, Harry Dean Stanton, the Dalai Lama (in his current incarnation, of course) and Homer Simpson.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:12 pm
happycat wrote:

However, Mick (even though a few years older) is MY contemporary. His music has been a constant throughout my entire life. When he goes, I think I may be in a deep funk for a long while.

And just what makes you think you will outlive Mick? Sorry, missy, but that old boy will still be around long after you are gone.

One day he might be walking by a cemetery and stop to adjust his walker and his eyes will fall on a tombstone marked "happycat"

Mick will rub his chin thoughtfully and say, "happycat! What kind of bloody name is that?"

And then he will take a few more steps and his heart will explode. He will stagger backwards, clutching his heart as he does so, and fall to the ground, dead, and collapse near the grave of happycat.

What irony. What friggin irony.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:36 pm
can't really think of anyone right now

for me, it depends if the death was expected or not

i was sad to hear that johnny cash had died, but it wasn't really unexpected

on the other hand, the deaths of john lennon, princess diana, john kennedy jr. and douglas adams all came as great shocks
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:37 pm
I see your orig post said "will" so I'll stick to a not-as-yet-happened event:

Paul Newman
Peter O'Toole (has 9 lives used up 10 by now)
Liz Taylor (ditto the above)
Hugh Heffner
Cher (will STILL be on this earth well after the nukes go off and dust settles)
James Garner
Clint Eastwood
Jonathan Winters
Andy Griffith
Ron Howard
Sophia Loren
John Travolta
Tommy and Dick Smothers
Harry Belafonte
Lena Horne

Chuck Berry
Little Richard
B.B. King
Bob Dylan (has 9 lives, but used up 8, by now)
Aretha Franklin
Paul Simon
Eric Clapton
Pete Townshend
Roger Daltrey
Pete Seeger
Stevie Wonder
Grace Slick
The Everly Brothers
Smokey Robinson
Mel Torme
Jeff Beck
Tony Bennett
Joni Mitchell
Neil Young
Carol King
Carly Simon
James Taylor
Paul Kantner
Jerry Lee Lewis
David Bowie
Mick Jagger
Annie Lennox
Bonnie Raitt
Bruce Springsteen
Ringo
Paul McCartney
Dolly Parton
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:40 pm
Jane Goodall
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:54 pm
oops..forgot a few

Bob Newhart
Bill Cosby
George Carlin
Woody Allen
Billy Crystal
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:51 pm
My hero, Michael Vick.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 08:59 pm
Jimmy Carter.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 06:13 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
happycat wrote:

However, Mick (even though a few years older) is MY contemporary. His music has been a constant throughout my entire life. When he goes, I think I may be in a deep funk for a long while.

And just what makes you think you will outlive Mick? Sorry, missy, but that old boy will still be around long after you are gone.

One day he might be walking by a cemetery and stop to adjust his walker and his eyes will fall on a tombstone marked "happycat"

Mick will rub his chin thoughtfully and say, "happycat! What kind of bloody name is that?"

And then he will take a few more steps and his heart will explode. He will stagger backwards, clutching his heart as he does so, and fall to the ground, dead, and collapse near the grave of happycat.

What irony. What friggin irony.

Gee, do ya really think so?? How romantic! Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 06:19 am
Ragman, that's a long list....and a lot of hurtin' you got coming.

I have to agree about a couple of them though:
Travolta, Clapton and Grace Slick.

especially Travolta
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:55 am
I have been through the deaths of so many people, both famous, and not so famous. I don't think that the death of anyone who is not a part of my intimate circle would throw me. I consider A2K part of that circle. I was very upset over the deaths of some members. But movie stars????
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:05 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have been through the deaths of so many people, both famous, and not so famous. I don't think that the death of anyone who is not a part of my intimate circle would throw me. I consider A2K part of that circle. I was very upset over the deaths of some members. But movie stars????

Not necessarily movie stars, but someone famous that's been a constant in your life - that you use to sort of gauge your own age....if you get my drift. A "Portrait of Dorian Grey" kinda thing.

Travolta is exactly my age....so I watch as he changes and evolves.

It's like seeing an obit in the paper and thinking to yourself "geesh, she was MY age!'

As far as some musicians, I came of age when they were starting out...and their music was the background of my teens and 20's.[/color]
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:10 am
happycat- I hear what you are saying. Ten years ago, I probably would have agreed with you. I think that when you go through the deaths of so many famous people, some of them even younger that you, that you become enured to it.

I remember becoming upset when an entire era of celebrities, who were much older than me, died. Frank Sinatra, Jack Benny, Groucho Marx, Marilyn Monroe, to name a few. These were the people that I grew up with, and a had a sense that there was an end of an era.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 04:03 pm
happycat wrote:
Ragman, that's a long list....and a lot of hurtin' you got coming.

I have to agree about a couple of them though:
Travolta, Clapton and Grace Slick.

especially Travolta

Yes, it's that feeling of being in touch with your own mortality.

BTW, John Travolta..was absolutely incredible in the new movie 'Hairspray'. If you haven't seen it yet, do so..as it's the best (IMHO) musical since Grease..and one the best movie experiences this year for me.

My criteria for my list was to think of people who've been around for 30 yrs or more and who've made a major difference to art or show biz/media/society and to ME-- not just at mediocre level. For example, Cher is sort of a phenomenon unto herself as she's been around for more than 40 yrs and keeps reinventing herself as a singer...then actress..and celebrity. She's definitely not dull or mediocre!

The parting of these people on the list would be a shock (to me).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:22 pm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:46 pm
I can't think of any still alive, off hand, at the moment, but I was sad when Elvis, Johnny Cash and George Burns died.
They were all a major part of my life at one time when I had nothing else.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 07:52 am
Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:00 am
happycat wrote:

but someone famous that's been a constant in your life - that you use to sort of gauge your own age....if you get my drift. A "Portrait of Dorian Grey" kinda thing.

Ooh, now that you said that I thought of someone.
I read a Picture of Dorain Grey over Christmas and loved it.
Its by Oscar Wilde, the man that played him in the film is Stephen Fry(comedy partner of Hugh Laurie in House) and I adore him, he is a constant joy to watch and listen too and I will be very sad when he pops his clogs.

Either the wallpaper goes or I do.
0 Replies

Tuscany

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 03:51 am
Off the top of my head:

Elvis
Ricky Nelson
Princess Diana

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 12:33:33