How do i shrink 100% cotton shirts?

happycat

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 06:59 am
roger wrote:
happycat wrote:
crayon851 wrote:
so the shirts have to be wet before putting them into the dryer? wet and hot?

Let that be your general rule of thumb - everything works better if it's wet and hot.

Keep in mind that not everything shrinks when hot, happycat. Some things shrink when cold.

I didn't say shrink roger, I said "works better." :wink:
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:55 am
Chai wrote:
Dorothy Parker wrote:
You can't. And why are you doin' strange stuff like that?

what makes you think this is strange dorothy?

people need to shrink cotton all the time.

There's a particular brand of pants I like that I've learned I have to get in the next size up, and I take them home and do what I suggested above, and they fit well right from the start.

If I bought the size that fits originally, after maybe 5 or 6 washing they will be too small and too short.

...hmmmmmmmmm.

Just never come across anyone doing that before. Maybe it's an American thing? Or I thought maybe a scientific experiment.
crayon851

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 07:14 pm
well theres some sort of latex design or some plastic design on it won't boiling water melt that?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 07:21 pm
crayon851 wrote:
well theres some sort of latex design or some plastic design on it won't boiling water melt that?

I didn't SAY boil it!

Are you just jerking us around or what?

Ask your mom or most any other female, and most men, and they'll tell you to wash the *#%#*%!! thing in hot water, or soak it for a while in very hot water, and dry it in a hot drier!

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Have you never washed clothes before?
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:13 pm
Well you said boil, so I wasn't sure whether you meant for me to boil them. I assume women know some secret things when dealing with clothes and washing them or shrinking stuff.

Yes I've washed clothes before, but I usually assume when someone says something different than what I was expecting they usually have a good reason for it. So when you said boil water and put the clothes in them, I assumed you meant for me to boil the clothes for some special reason unknown to me.

So what you wanted me to do was just boil the water, wait a bit and soak the clothes in it with vinegar?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 11:16 pm
Chai wrote:
Amigo wrote:
Wash in hot then dry in hot like you would anything else. After the second wash it won't shrink any more. The only draw back is that it wiil fade.

Not if you soak them in vinegar.

Give dark colors a good soak in vinegar when they are new and they won't fade as much.

Sometimes clothes do continue to shrink....I've got a shirt that I just wear when cleaning the house. When I bought it a couple of years ago it was much longer. I'd washed it quite a few times and nothing drastic happened. Then all of a sudden it seemed, the length shrunk at least 2 or 3 inches.

crayon....putting your t-shirts in hot hot water to soak once until it cools down is not going to damage it.
Hey, thanks for the tip. I hate wearing faded shirts.
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:22 am
Use parallax error and hold the shirt ten feet behind you and it will appear to be a perfect fit.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 02:40 am
Chai wrote:
crayon851 wrote:

I didn't SAY boil it!

Are you just jerking us around or what?

Ask your mom or most any other female, and most men, and they'll tell you to wash the *#%#*%!! thing in hot water, or soak it for a while in very hot water, and dry it in a hot drier!

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? Have you never washed clothes before?

Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 04:26 am
Chai wrote:
In fact, if you've already washed them, I would bring a large pot of water to a boil....

then, turn off the heat and put in the shirts.
Let them soak until the water cools, then dry them in the drier.

If these are black or dark color t-shirts, add a couple of cups of white vinegar to the pot, it will keep the dark colors from fading.

reread what I wrote crayon.

yes, women know secret things, but we don't waste them on such mundane things as clothes.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 04:29 am
amigo....another tip for dark clothes....

when you wash dark shirts and pants, turn them inside out.

When I wash darks, I put a cup or so of vinegar into the rinse cycle.

Theres's a vinegar thread around here somewhere. Really good stuff, and eco friendly.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 04:43 am
I think after I boil mine and soak it in vinager i'll saute mine in a little olive oil.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:03 pm
Okay chai I will do it, but if anything goes wrong I'm coming for you Smile I spent good money on these shirts!
0 Replies

firmends

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 06:25 pm
Okay, so for best results with a new cotton shirt:

Soak in white vinegar -- purely vinegar, enough to saturate a shirt? for how long?

Wash in washing machine on highest heat using the "heavy duty" or "extreme dirt" cycle.

Dry on highest heat and after cycle completes, leave it in the dryer to cool.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 08:07 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Dorothy Parker wrote:

Chai wrote:
Dorothy Parker wrote:
You can't. And why are you doin' strange stuff like that?

what makes you think this is strange dorothy?

people need to shrink cotton all the time.

There's a particular brand of pants I like that I've learned I have to get in the next size up, and I take them home and do what I suggested above, and they fit well right from the start.

If I bought the size that fits originally, after maybe 5 or 6 washing they will be too small and too short.

...hmmmmmmmmm.

Just never come across anyone doing that before. Maybe it's an American thing? Or I thought maybe a scientific experiment.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 08:09 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
Dorothy Parker wrote:

...hmmmmmmmmm.

They used to produce "shrink to fit" Levis. The clerk asked if I wanted to try them on. Why? All a fitting is going to prove is they don't fit when I buy them.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:22 pm
@roger,
Now there was a classic thread..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 09:37 pm
I'm sure he grew into the shirt by now....4 years later Wink
0 Replies

allykrisk

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 06:07 pm
@crayon851,
put them in extremely hot water in the washer machine. then put them on high in the dryer as soon as they are done in the washer.. keep them in the dryer extra long
chai2

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 06:11 pm
@allykrisk,
No way.

I think he should wash it in hot water and dry it for a long time in a hot drier.
spendius

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 06:21 pm
@chai2,
How about putting on weight. The shirt might not shrink but it will look like it has and perception is the only truth.
0 Replies