why did we evolve eyes that see visible light?

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:31 am
Is there a reason we "see" visible light rather than on a different wavelength like infrared or ultraviolet?

Does anyone know if light has special properties that make it more suited for vision than the others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,237 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:38 am
Because most other wavelengths are blocked in the ozone layer.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/83/Atmospheric_electromagnetic_transmittance_or_opacity.jpg/800px-Atmospheric_electromagnetic_transmittance_or_opacity.jpg
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:41 am
However, there are birds that see ultraviolet light. Image above is from wikipedia.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:47 am
i love light.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 10:22 pm
Another interesting observation that I made one day, is that the range of visible light frequencies extends almost just far enough to constitute what in the musical world would be considered an "octave." Whether this has any real significance or not, I don't know, but it does seem strange.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2007 02:20 am
I think nature follows alot of very simple mathematical patterns, or is just mathematical in general.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 06:21 am
Coolwhip wrote:
Because most other wavelengths are blocked in the ozone layer.

Visible light also reflects off of things (objects) so they can be seen. Radio waves make it to the ground, but I don't think they reflect off of objects very well, so they aren't useful for "seeing" objects (at least in detail).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 06:41 am
No matter what we would only see "visible" light. If we saw xrays we would call it "visible" light.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:14 am
I DONT THINK THAT IS TRUE..

Do xrays reflect off of surfaces like light?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:27 am
OGIONIK wrote:

I was referring to a combination of attributes which make a particular wavelength of light (visible light) something which is more likely to be selected for.

You asked why our eyes evolved for visible light, and CoolW pointed out that visible light makes it through our atmosphere (but so do radio waves). So I pointed out that visible light also reflects off surfaces, unlike radio waves. The combination of qualities makes it a prime candidate for selection.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 09:01 am
Quote:
Visible light also reflects off of things (objects) so they can be seen. Radio waves make it to the ground, but I don't think they reflect off of objects very well, so they aren't useful for "seeing" objects (at least in detail).
Correct, basic physics. The smaller the wavelength, the smaller objects you can see.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 09:28 am
OGIONIK wrote:

"Visible" is a term we apply to a light spectrum because it means we can see it.

The term "visible" would be used no matter which spectrum we see. If we could see xrays then xrays would be "visible".
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 10:04 am
ahhh, lol
0 Replies