Dog shot in head twice by 2 men with crossbows survives

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 07:49 am
dog shot in head (pics)

Quote:
A brave mongrel was twice shot in the head by callous thugs - with a crossbow.

Amazingly, the friendly brindle mongrel, named Beau by nurses at the veterinary surgery, survived the vicious attack which left two crossbow bolts embedded in her skull.

It is thought Beau, who has only just been taken out of intensive care after a major two-hour operation, was fired at by two disgusting yobs at point blank range.

Scroll down for more...

So cruel: Suffering Beau braves it out

Lovable Beau was handed in to vets in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, by police on Wednesday night. She was found by a member of the public at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in Wakefield, with the devastating injuries.

She was given urgent pain relief when she was handed to shocked staff at the animal hospital.

And she underwent the drastic surgery on Thursday morning to remove the distinctive bolts.

Scroll down for more...

An X-ray of Beau's skull shows what an amazing escape she had

Staff believe she was shot by two yobs at the same time because the bolts went in at different angles.

Angry vet Steve Dixon, of Calder Veterinary Group, said: "We think there were two people firing two separate crossbows at the same time at point blank range. There is no way she would have just sat there after being hit by the first one."

He added: "In all my years as a vet I have never seen anything like this. It's disgusting. It's one of the most extreme cases of cruelty I have ever encountered. It is easy to tell when dogs are in a horrific amount of pain since they fail to eat and have a high heart rate."

Scroll down for more...

Brave girl: A patched up Beau

Mr Dixon said: "I think at the time it must have been incredibly painful for her and she didn't eat until after the operation but she was surprisingly calm and brave."

He said that one of the bolts has gone in above the eye at the top of the head leaving Beau with nasty grazing on her nose.

The second bolt went in behind the right eye and came out under the left ear.

After surgery to remove the bolts, Mr Dixon said: "We don't know her name, she should probably be called Lucky - although we have named her Beau. One of the bolts was four or five inches into her skull, quite near the brain.

"It's amazing that it missed all the vital parts of her head as it went straight through the middle. It just goes to show how lucky we are that dogs have quite small brains."

He added: "It's likely that, because it's such a friendly dog, it has been beckoned towards whoever has shot it and they have then shot it at point blank range twice in the head - they've tried to kill it.

"There is an argument that this sort of thing is just a step away from shooting people, because they think they can get away with it."

Beau, who will be kept at the hospital for four or five days, is thought to be around four years old and has some skin conditions, suggesting she may have been homeless for a while although staff are appealing for a possible owner to come forward.

The crossbow arrows were maroon coloured aluminium with silver tips and red and yellow fletchings.

Mr Dixon added: "These are quite distinctive arrows so there can't be many people wandering around with a pair of these crossbows."

A police spokeswoman said: "We would appeal to anyone who was in the area at the time, or anyone who has any information about this to contact us on 0845 6060606."

Oh My GOD, that poor ^&^*ckin dog man wtf is wrong with people, maybe THEY need to get shot in the face with a crossbow.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,107 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:06 am
Re: Dog shot in head twice by 2 men with crossbows survives
OGIONIK wrote:
Oh My GOD, that poor ^&^*ckin dog man wtf is wrong with people, maybe THEY need to get shot in the face with a crossbow.

Quote:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:09 am
JUSTICE IS BLIND
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:21 am
Probably 2 small tgame hunters who became frustrated because they didnt "harvest" anythingfor the pot. Most hunters are their own worst advertisements.

I lost a little cat two years ago to a mob of typical hunters that I left hunt on my farm. This cat was so friendly it would approach just about anyone . The hunters thought it great sport to blast the cat with their goose loads as the cat was running towards them assuming that she would get a treat or a pet.. I blame myself for not locking the cat up at home, but I had no idea that these hunters were so full of wanton cruelty I have since closed my farm to all hunting, and I prosecute trespassers now. (Hikers can still go through )
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:57 am
OGIONIK wrote:
JUSTICE IS BLIND
That is why when something like that happens, it is up to people to change things.

I remember when this incident occurred:
http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/PASADOSTORY/Pasado_story.htm

It made me sick to my stomach. It wasn't anything new by any means. This particular case got a lot of press and that helped make that law if you read the article. What makes me sick is animals continue to be tortured.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:22 am
It makes me sick to read and see this. How can people do this?
Even animals kill in a more humane way.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:36 am
Sorry about your cat, farmerman.

I plan on tracking down the culprits and skinning them alive.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
Do you mind if I just follow you raound for a bit gus?

When I was a lad we used to shoot cats and sell the skins for pocket money.

Ferral cats and roaming domestic cats are one of the worst environmental problems we have in OZ
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:40 am
CalamityJane wrote:
It makes me sick to read and see this. How can people do this?
CalamityJane, I ask myself that same question.

Why would someone get pleasure out of torturing an animal that can't fight back? It still continues though. I know a person isn't suppose to take the law into their own hands but, if I ever come across someone doing something like that it sure would be tempting.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:42 am
dadpad wrote:
Do you mind if I just follow you raound for a bit gus?

When I was a lad we used to shoot cats and sell the skins for pocket money.

Ferral cats and roaming domestic cats are one of the worst environmental problems we have in OZ
Did you torture the cats before you killed them?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:42 am
How so? Please enlighten me.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:43 am
gus
Who are you talking to?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:50 am
I cant say the idea of torturing a cat before shooting it ever occored to us.

would have ruined the skin value anyway.

Just so you are fully informed TTH the cat is 2nd only to the fox on my list of environmental predators. Those 2 predators, along with mans encroachment on habitat are responsible for the decimation of many of Australia's native small mammel and bird population.
Numbats Bilbies bandicoots and countless bird species.

If I had a gun I'd still shoot 'em.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:54 am
How the Australian Government is dealing with a national problem

Predation by feral cats is listed as a key threatening process under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (the EPBC Act). Under the EPBC Act, the Australian Government in consultation with the states and territories has developed the Threat Abatement Plan for Predation by Feral Cats.

The threat abatement plan aims to reduce the impact of feral cats on native wildlife by:

* implementing feral cat control programs in identified regions of high conservation priority
* encouraging the development and application of innovative, humane feral cat control methods
* collecting and disseminating information to improve our understanding of the ecology of feral cats in Australia, their impacts and humane methods to control them
* educating land managers and others about feral cat impacts to ensure their skilled and effective participation in control activities.

Feral cat control programs need to be coordinated with other activities that may be taking place, including the on-ground protection of threatened plants and animals and control of other invasive species such as rabbits and foxes. The threat abatement plan provides a framework that will enable the best use of the resources available for feral cat management. The Australian Government will continue to work with the states and territories in dealing with this national problem.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive/publications/cat/index.html
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 10:54 am
dadpad
I am not opposed to killing animals when there is a good reason to. I am opposed to torturing them with the intent of killing them.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:12 am
This was no incident involving hunters.

Wakefield is in Yorkshire (England) and the carrying of crossbows is strictly illegal.
For my sins, I lived in Batley for a while, not far from Wakefield. I would go so far as saying that a fair portion of the locals were more mongrel than the dog that was shot.
It's places like this that keeps the manufacturers of hoodie tops in business..
You talk about feral cats on this thread, well, a lot of kids are feral around some of Wakefield's housing estates. I'm serious.
The parents don't seem to give a flying f--- about what they're up to, and are probably at home on the dole, watching Oprah on satellite telly with a bag of curry sauce and chips, wondering what quality of stolen car radio their darling little shane will bring home.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:27 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
How so? Please enlighten me.
Changed your sig line again Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 04:13 pm
dadpad, the diff between feral animals and a pet thats killed by a bunch of slobs is two different planets. Feral anything are usually furtive, and they tend to shy from humans. Obviously this dog wasnt hiding, neither was my cat that got shot. Feral animals can be a majopr problem but I dont think that you would be a total cruel slob to knowingly kill someones pet , would you? If you assume that all animals are feral Maybe they have different senses of respect in Oz than we do here in US. We used to employ a substance called 1080 to kill coyotes. It was found that 1080(Na- flouro acetate, deadliest poison known to man ) was killing hundreds more animals and predators , like raptors whod eat the dying poisoned animal (which more often than not was not a coyote)
Gus, I filed charges against the perps myself and they were fined and 2 lost hunting priveleges for a 2 year period. It didnt get my cat back, but it made those jagoffs think about it.
2 of the guys have since apologized to my wife and me and one of the others, a kid of about 18 now, is still acting like Im the one at fault. Ive publicly accused that kid of being a budding serial killer since thats one of the traits thats been shown to be a feature in common among serial killers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 04:16 pm
Quote:
A lone ant is portentous. -- osso
I was there at the moment that gus chose his new sig line. It was thrilling beyond words.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 04:25 pm
I am sure it was farmerman Laughing
Hope you found your moose btw. Not sure why you have one or lost it Confused
0 Replies