GENETICS AND BREEDING question.

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:56 am
If all the current varieties of dog were allowed to breed randomly and unrestricted,over time would the offspring resemble their original ancestors?

And what would humans look like if we interbred the same way?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 775 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 02:05 am
Re: GENETICS AND BREEDING question.
OGIONIK wrote:

Melting pot.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:46 am
GOOGLE. HAS. FAILED.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:56 am
OGIONIK wrote:
If all the current varieties of dog were allowed to breed randomly and unrestricted,over time would the offspring resemble their original ancestors?

Stupid damned question.

Dogs are canids, and are genetically indistinguishable from wolves. It is highly unlikely, though, that absent human interference, they would "revert to type." The conditions which produced the wolf no longer apply.

Humans do "interbreed" . . . the result is the production of the dreaded . . . human being.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:13 am
i didnt even say the word wolf.

you fail.

yes, now when we mix humans while randomly distributing the sperm of all races so 'race" disappears and there is only 1 "color" what will the end result be?

is it a hispanic color? black skinned? light skinned?

Will the hair be more like a black person or a white persons?

Will they generally be shorter? taller? will asian-ish eyes still be noticeable at all?
im not sure you understand the scope of the question.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:19 am
Quote:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

-- Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Ridiculous. Sacred cows are kept alive for long periods and the resultant meat is tough and would make unpalatable hamburgers.

The meat in the best hamburgers is from animals which have been treated in their short and sad lives in a manner which is the very opposite of how a sacred animal is treated.

Mt Clemens must be, or have been, a very stupid person.

Unless, of course, the unpalatabilty of a hamburger made from a 15 year old cow is insufficient to overcome his desire to blaspheme. One could easily move into more extreme versions of such perversions which I don't doubt Mr Clemens was too delicate to contemplate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:19 am
Who gives a rat's ass if you said "wolf" or not? Just because you posed an idiotic question doesn't mean anyone else if obliged to partake of your idiocy. In case you didn't know it Captain Swifty, there is only one "race"--the human race. Only human jackasses care what color someone is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:23 am
Take it easy OGI. Settin Aah-aah is an anti-IDer.

We don't want you falling out and dissension entering the ranks.

I read once that the whole human race will eventually be light brown.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:41 am
Who are the ancestors, here? The first generation of dogs we breed? Or are you referring to the evolutionary ancestors of dogs? Sorry, but I got confused.

In the meanwhile, you might want to look into atavism. It comes close to answering your question, I suppose.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:53 am
This is silly... a "what if" question that asks what would happen if nothing changes.

All of us are allowed to interbreed with any race of human being we come into contact with. In American cities, where there are a great number of people from many races in close proximity, this interbreeding happens all of the time.

Go in the street and you will see the result.

Is there a question here?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:33 pm
OGIONIK wrote:

Most dog breeds can only survive because humans assist them.

Dog populations which go wild tend to exhibit a narrow morphology which is most able to survive in their particular environment. Wild dog packs in India suburbs tend to revert to a standard 40lbs size with short fur, pointy ears and nose and a curled tail.

Giant dogs, tiny dogs, long hairs, stumpy legs, stunted noses, blocked ears and inbred weaknesses don't survive for long scavenging the back alleys of India (research on this has been done).

Over a long enough time (if left to their own devices), dogs would be subject to evolutionary pressures just like everything else. It's unlikely they would "revert" to a Lupine form (Wolves are common ancestors to all dogs) unless the environment they were released into was very similar to the environment Wolves exist in.

If you took a varied population of dogs, say 100 of each breed, and released them into various different environments, over time, you should be left with populations in each environment, disproportionally composed of those dogs best suited to each environment. Over millions of years, these populations might become different species.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:01 am
DEAR GOD FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A REAL ANSWER NOT SOME RELIGIOUS OR POLITCALLY FUELED RANT.

THANK YOU, SERIOUSLY!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:13 am
OGIONIK wrote:

That's unlikely. For one, some characteristics of the original wolf are undesirable in any dog race. Their social behavior would be one obvious example. Breeders would have selected against those characteristics in every dog race, so mixing those races wouldn't bring back the wolf.

OGIONIK wrote:

I don't know, but for the reasons mentioned above, they would be unlikely to look much like our last common ancestors, who lived about 100,000 years ago.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 06:24 am
OGIONIK wrote:
DEAR GOD FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A REAL ANSWER NOT SOME RELIGIOUS OR POLITCALLY FUELED RANT.
THANK YOU, SERIOUSLY!

Glad I could help. I thought it was a good question. NOVA did a show on wild dogs in India several years ago. I still vaguely remembered some of the show (source of the info I posted).

Oh, I forgot to mention that Dog spelled backward is God which means that George Bush sucks and Global warming is killing the planet. Wink
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:07 am
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

-- Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Ridiculous. Sacred cows are kept alive for long periods and the resultant meat is tough and would make unpalatable hamburgers.

The meat in the best hamburgers is from animals which have been treated in their short and sad lives in a manner which is the very opposite of how a sacred animal is treated.

Mt Clemens must be, or have been, a very stupid person.

Unless, of course, the unpalatabilty of a hamburger made from a 15 year old cow is insufficient to overcome his desire to blaspheme. One could easily move into more extreme versions of such perversions which I don't doubt Mr Clemens was too delicate to contemplate.

Of course, cows don't become sacred until the reach the venerable age of 15. Rolling Eyes

Mr Clemens understood that sacred cows become such at the age they stop being sacred yearlings. But then Mr Clemens knew a little something about cows.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 11:53 am
And so do I.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
Like the fact that they were created as they currently are roughly 6000 years ago?

(I am just kidding btw.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 02:57 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

If you took a varied population of dogs, say 100 of each breed, and released them into various different environments, over time, you should be left with populations in each environment, disproportionally composed of those dogs best suited to each environment. Over millions of years, these populations might become different species.

I would think the smalles breeds, like chihuahuas, papillons and so forth would disappear really quickly.

The small females couldn't breed with a really large breed, like a St. Bernard or Great Dane, and even if they became pregnant with even someone larger males, they'd be more likely to die giving birth. The small males could breed with larger females, but would be more likely to be driven off by a larger male.

The large breeds would last longer I think.

I watched a Nova show about domesticating dogs. It made that theory of wolves joining man before his fire less plausible.

It said something like the traits that would make a wolf less successful in the wild were the ones that brought him closer to man.

Wolves did just decide to come closer to man...they were eating man's garbage. Hanging around ancient dumping grounds of small groups of man, they would of course run if a human approached. The wolf that would be the last to run away wasn't showing bravery, but rather, well, stupidity for not following its instincts. Obviously these wolfs were more successful breeding around the free food, and became less and less likely to run.

So it goes.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:47 pm
Chai wrote:
The large breeds would last longer I think.

Possibly. If the primary selection factor favored size. But large breeds also need more to eat. Suppose food is scarce. Large breeds don't turn as quickly, suppose the prey is agile.

Chai wrote:
I watched a Nova show about domesticating dogs. It made that theory of wolves joining man before his fire less plausible.

It said something like the traits that would make a wolf less successful in the wild were the ones that brought him closer to man.

Humans were simply part of the wolves environment. We had a selective pressure on them just as the natural environment does.
0 Replies