What is the best cellular phone plan?

Monger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:29 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Wy wrote:
Craven, how do cell phones work in other countries? What are we missing -- what do we yell for?

The US is lagging behind Korea and Japan in terms of technology.

In Brazil this whole thing is much simpler. You buy the phone so few plans ever require a contract. You only pay for outgoing calls and the incoming calls are billed to the caller (this means that through pre-paid plans you have have a cell phone you use for receiving calls only and pay a few cents a month to nothing).

You don't own the cell phones in the States? That be weird! And yeah Japanese cellphone technology and service has always been years (literally) ahead of the US.

For example, it's not uncommon in Japan now to do full video-conferencing between phones (bandwidth rates be very low), while I believe that not that many phones in the US are even using cameras yet. Wink Heehee

Do youse guys have "bone-resonance" phone thingies over there that don't require a mic?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:35 am
Nah, you own them but usually get them for free in exchange for binding contracts for the service.

As to bone-resonance I have yet to see it around these parts.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:37 am
Monger wrote:
You don't own the cell phones in the States?

...I believe that not that many phones in the US are using cameras...

Do youse guys have "bone-resonance" phone thingies over there that don't require a mic?

Yes, we do own our phones, but can frequently get them free or with "rebate" deals when we sign a contract.

We're only starting to get cameras... but as phones gets old, more people will be switching over. The technology to transmit pictures costs extra, anywhere from $2.99 to $!5 extra a month.

Bone-Resonance? huh???
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 06:43 am
Bone resonance phone technology is something that's been available for a long time in Japan (and probably other places)...you use a one-earphone piece which has a mic that picks up your voice though bone vibrations inside of it. Sound quality comes out just fine, and you can talk hands-free. It's particularily great when driving motorbikes.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:06 am
Hmmm. There are ear gadgets you can buy, but I think (I think) that one part swings down as a microphone. Probably in the USA we're still trying to decide if bone resonance causes cancer or maybe the FBI can't pick up phone conversations through bone resonance and so they've restricted the use. Anyway, as far as I know (which is not too far)... we don't have that.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:12 am
Eh?? Smile It picks up bone vibrations that are always there! There's no way it can cause cancer (greater than regular earphones anyway, since it's just sending the signal it receives down a wire to your cell phone) and there's no security concern that would be greater than when you're talking to yourself or when you're using a regular phone. :wink:

Youse 'Mericans is just behind in phone technology is all, methinks. Razz
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:29 am
Well, I was just trying to think why we might not have it. Embarrassed Those are the standard paranoid reasons why something isn't offered. For years there were news reports that cell phone use might cause cancer, y'know.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:48 am
Yeah but if it's true the cancer threat would be removed since the phone would no longer be near your head. And youse don't need to look like a trekkie or secretary or some such by having a mic curving around in front of your mouth, though people may think youse talking to your "invisible friends" again.. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 07:51 am
Hmmm - there is some argument that the ear pieces are MORE dangerous than talking into a normal phone - but the bone resonance thingy would not add to any risk that might be there.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 10:06 am
If there is a cancer-risk, we're screwed, that's for sure.

This is my new phone:Verizon Phone with fun but slow-loading interactive picture-taking page

Can you find a link to the Japanese ear-thingie? [size=7]I'd love to talk to my invisible friends.[/size]
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:37 pm
How 'bout A Tooth Phone ?

Actually, bone-conduction earpiece/microphones are commonplace in high noise environments, both military and civilian, and in public safety applications.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2003 12:53 pm
from Timber's link...

Quote:
Is it safe? Now that I have a cell phone, there are probably also brain tumors in my future, unless I wear an aluminum foil hat.

A couple of days ago I thought I was receiving radio signals from one of my fillings... it turned out to be the very fancy, schmancy jazz ringing of my cell phone. I missed the call!
0 Replies