Which Dog Breeds Are Good With Kids?

Quincy

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:57 pm
So, which breeds are good with kids? It's not like I'd get a rotweiler....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,924 • Replies: 27
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:13 pm
Lots of 'em are -- even Rottweilers if properly trained.

The right breed for a family isn't just about a breed's reputation but also about your family --
* would someone be around during the day at all?
* how active is the family?
* what's the neighborhood like, would it be feasible to walk the dog every day or is there some impediment?
* what's the climate like? A very hot climate is not a good place for a husky; a very cold one is not good for a chihuahua although they can live in either place you'll be dealing with a very uncomfortable dog for at least part of the year
* how committed are you to training and socializing a dog?
* have any experience owning one?
* are you drawn to looks or do they not matter? It shouldn't, but some people cannot get past the look of one breed over another.
* how committed are you to care? Grooming? Etc.

Most people will say golden retrievers and I'm sure someone will. And they are fine dogs, but there are a lot of them and they don't always come from the best breeders any more. Like any other popular dog, they can be overbred or bred by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Also -- would you want a puppy? An older dog? A shelter dog?

Consider these questions as you think about breeds ...
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 04:16 pm
Wow, thanks. I'm actually asking on someones behalf, so I need to get back to you on that one, but gee whizz, thanks for that reply!
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 04:19 am
Ah well, it looks like his heart is set on a bulldog, and she really wants a pug, but thanks anyway.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 04:23 am
Do they have particular reasons for wanting these dogs, or is it just about looks? Both are lovely dogs but they can both have breathing issues, particularly in hot weather. Bulldogs are lower energy level, if I'm recalling correctly.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:21 pm
It's purely whimsical, they just like those dogs, and I can't get them o consider any other breeds, even when I used your infinite wisdom on them....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 05:33 pm
Thank you, dolling, but it's far from infinite. Embarrassed

I've just had dogs, lots of different kinds. And it's not a beauty contest, it's a family member you're bringing in.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 05:41 pm
Bulldogs have endless (read:expensive) health problems. I grew up around bullies and few lasted more than 6 years, even with good care. They often require special mouth and nose surgery as they age. I suggest your friends read a book called: The Shaman Bulldog by R. Fischer to understand what life with a bulldog is like.

I would also suggest they go to a local shelter and find a nice mutt.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:03 pm
agreed, bulldogs are, along with Irish Wolfhounds and Boxers.., among the shortest lived dogs , Vets love them. Its like having a money press(for the vet) whenever anybody buys a bulldog. Another thing THEY CANNOT SWIM. Ive got that from personal experience when a friend had its bulldog get shoved into the pool by a kid. The bulldog just patiently stood on the bottom and waited to drown

Spending a huge amount for a bulldog is like pissing away a lifetime of money, cause the initial price is only about 10% of the maintenance(not including food and licenses)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:19 am
I've eaten dog, and i've eaten goat, but i don't believe i've ever eaten kid. The dog i ate was chow (hey, i'm not responsible for naturally occurring puns), and i really couldn't say if other breeds have a different flavor. I would suspect that kid tastes like goat, but is more tender.

Why don't you try out both, and let us know?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:50 am
Quincy wrote:
Ah well, it looks like his heart is set on a bulldog, and she really wants a pug, but thanks anyway.

I do know some one who owns a bulldog. He says it is an excellent dog with children - he has 3 kids ranging from baby to 8 years old. He swears by this breed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:54 am
Another thought is to look up the breed on the American Kennel Club website. They tend to give you the pros and cons of each sort of breed. I have found it very helpful.

http://www.akc.org/
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 11:15 am
Labs are great with kids.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 11:57 am
I think Golden Retrievers.

I once had a family with two kids (girl 9, boy 6) and we had a Golden Retriever. God, was he sweet! Very well behaving and used to sit by the door and bark whenever he wanted to go to the bathroom outside.
Of course we lived in a house in the suburbs of Atlanta... wide open and very calm. Miss those days, actually.

And I also had a Doberman when growing up. Don't recommend that even though I have always loved him.

Cheers!
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
I've eaten dog, and i've eaten goat, but i don't believe i've ever eaten kid. The dog i ate was chow (hey, i'm not responsible for naturally occurring puns), and i really couldn't say if other breeds have a different flavor. I would suspect that kid tastes like goat, but is more tender.

Why don't you try out both, and let us know?

I don't think there's a pun there (but I've been wrong before Very Happy) because the thread title says 'which dog breeds are good with kids'; there would be a pun if it said 'which kid breeds are good with dogs'(now there's a thought...), since people do eat dogs in some places, as you point out.

Anyway, semantics aside!
They're a young couple, and I don't know if they can afford the assosciated bills that go with a bulldog.
Thanks Linkat or the link, which I will pass on to them, and for the personal input on bulldogs.
I guess it also has a lot to do with training, age of the dog, basically what jespah said. Thanks guys (and gals).
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 03:01 am
goldies are sweet companions for children; patient, loving and non-aggressive.

if you want a great friend for your children goldies are a bred you need
to look at.

http://mrkuz.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/golden_fc1.jpg

be advised, they can smell a bit
0 Replies

outaideas

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 11:58 am
Montana wrote:
Labs are great with kids.

yes they are! we have a lab and he is wonderful with our small children. our 3, soon ot be 4, year old climbs all over him and everything and he just loves it. they are buddies Smile
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:29 pm
We have an Australian Shepherd and are about to get another...great breed. So smart...and with 3 boys he is big enough to take what they give and he is gentle. Beautiful puppy...LOTS OF ENERGY
[img]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa37/SDBreedPics/Australian%20Shepherds/000_0134.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:52 pm
I sure do love those Aussies.

Especially the red merles. <sigh> They're stunning dogs.

Smart, good to train, and gorgeous.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 01:01 pm
Me too...my Aussie's name is Pistol. He is 9 mos. old and he is a Red Tri-color. Weighs close to 70 lbs already! He is a fine fella...going to get him a sister here soon. He needs a friend now that the boys have gone back to school. We are looking for Red or a Black Merle...waiting for the folks that bred him to call us with the next batch - may have one or the other in it...We don't want to breed ourselves. But we were told that a female would be more likely to keep peace in the backyard...don't want two males fighting over who's the boss!
0 Replies