I think I messed up introducing my new kitten to my cats

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:18 am
GASP!!!

rolands not mean!

He's a sweetheart.

He just doesn't know his own strength sometimes, he doesn't think he's hurting jezzer, just wants to play.

He's 99% learned his limits. For instance, when he was biting too hard and I bit him back.....he NEVER bit hard again.

When he was only half grown, we'd never even heard him growl, hiss or yowl loudly.
We never played too rough with him, but of course sometimes he would get over excited....this was REALLY funny, when he was about halfway grown I was chasing him, then he'd chase me, etc. Rolling him over and in general getting him really stimulated....he ran behind a chair, and I pounched on the chair and looked back there at him, staring up. I reached my hand down there, and for the first time ever, he went "HISSSS"! Then, a split second later, he got this look on his face. Shocked
He had NO idea that a sound like that could come out of him!

Then he was like....."hey, sorry...don't know where THAT came from..damn"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:25 am
Lou made that sound to me once when I picked him up and didn't realize he was injured. Of course I dropped him, which didn't help his injury heal any faster. Outdoor cats get hurt a LOT. How they do you may never know.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:26 am
roland may not be mean - but my brother's cat is just plain mean. I am an animal lover, but I wouldn't hestitate to kick that cat if he tried anything.

Funny about the hissing thing - my wimpiest cat of all times will hiss. But he is all noise - usually he hisses at the kids because he is such a scaredy cat.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:29 am
Taya --

I've forwarded your question to a good friend of mine, who must have raised over a dozen of cats. She basically confirms what Roger, Chai, and others have said: Don't worry too much about the hissing, the cats will figure it out. A few tips she added:

* play a lot with the incumbent cats so they're not so jealous.
* play a lot with all the three of them together.
* try bribing them with tuna to prevent aggressions.

Hope that helps
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:39 am
Yes, bribing ALWAYS works with cats.

It a universal truth.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:43 am
Try the Meow Mix Pleaser 12-pack which includes Upstream Dream, Cluck-a-Doodle-Do, and Hook, Line & Sinker. My cat loves this stuff - probably because the main ingredient is tuna.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:53 am
Chai wrote:
Yes, bribing ALWAYS works with cats.

It a universal truth.

When I was a kid we had this dog that was very protective of his property and family. Even the next door neighbor would get a nasty barking if he was on his property that was next to our yard. My dad thought it might be helpful if the neighbor gave him some of his dog treats. So the neighbor held some out to him and the dog took it nicely, ate it up and as soon as he was done, he resumed barking madly at him.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Try the Meow Mix Pleaser 12-pack which includes Upstream Dream, Cluck-a-Doodle-Do, and Hook, Line & Sinker. My cat loves this stuff - probably because the main ingredient is tuna.

Then why not just use tuna?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:26 pm
Tuna has mercury in it, snood, and kills cats.

Well, some survive.... but not many.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:27 pm
snood wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Then why not just use tuna?

Tuna is way more expensive, that's all. This is a way to give them a treat and a balanced meal at the same time.
0 Replies