man calls 911 to save him from police!

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:17 am
A 38-year-old man was arrested after he called 911 and told a dispatcher he was surrounded by police officers and needed help, authorities said.

Police officers met Dana Farrell Shelton after being called to investigate a disturbance at a bar on Sunday but had found no problems and told him to move along.

Shelton, who officers said appeared intoxicated, then called 911 to report he was "surrounded by Largo police," according to an arrest affidavit.

"Our officers were standing there scratching their heads. He called, standing there in their presence," Largo Sgt. Melanie Holley said. "It's one of our 'truth is stranger than fiction' cases."

Shelton was charged with misdemeanor misuse of 911. The charge carries maximum penalties of one year in jail and $1,000 in fines.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 16
No top replies

justretta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:15 pm
If you ask me, this guy is definately not that bright.... or maybe just really drunk... I'm leaning more towards not very bright.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm
So did he get help?
0 Replies

justretta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
He didn't need help... he was drunk and called 911 to tell them the cops were after him. So he got charged fines for calling 911 for no reason...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:32 pm
Moral of this story: The more police around, the less you feel safe...
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:34 pm
justretta
That is too funny. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

justretta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:35 pm
At least in his case....
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:45 pm
justretta wrote:
At least in his case....
Well, he should know better. Calling 911 is not a toy and you don't play games to call them.

Where I live some reasons people have called 911:
1) To ask what time it is.
2) To ask what temperature a certain meat needs to be cooked at
3) To ask what time a football game starts
4) To hang up on the call receiver as a joke- this automatically creates a "call" for a cop to go investigate

When people do this, it isn't funny.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:49 pm
justretta wrote:
He didn't need help... he was drunk and called 911 to tell them the cops were after him. So he got charged fines for calling 911 for no reason...

What do you mean he didn't need help?

There were all these policemen around him and apparantly they wouldn't let him leave.

I would have felt like I need help.
0 Replies

justretta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:52 pm
TTH~ yeah those are definately NOT reasons to call 911... it's meant for emergencies and this guy didn't have an emergency either.

Chai~ He didn't need help from the police officers.. the cops were called because of him, and all they did was tell him to move along and he then proceeded to call 911. He was drunk and obviously not thinking clearly.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:58 pm
Of course the police were called! He needed help.

jesus....try to stay on top of this willya?
0 Replies

justretta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:01 pm
ohh goodness. I think the cops were called because HE was causing problems and they weren't going to arrest him, just told him to move along... and for some reason he felt the need to call 911 himself.. I think I'm starting to get confused myself! Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:15 pm
I notice from your profile you're from Villisca Iowa.

Is that by any chance the same place the Villisca Ax Murders took place in 1912?

I'll bet those people which they had called 911. They really needed help.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
Yes, I think they would have wished to call the 911, which was the good thing to do.
0 Replies

justretta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
Yes, I am from Villisca and it is indeed the town where the tragic axe murder happend. Even if there was a chance for them to call 911, I don't think they could have that night. Sad Very tragic story.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:29 pm
Francis wrote:
Yes, I think they would have wished to call the 911, which was the good thing to do.

Well, I'm glad we're on the same page with that.

Horrible tragedy,

Francis, did you know there is absolutley NO public transportation in Vallisca?

It's true. Not a bus, gondola or segway.
Taxi drivers probably won't come over from Red Oak or Atlantic unless they were going that way anyway. Plus, taxi drivers tend to be wary of towns with ax murderers.

I can't imagine how dreary life must be there.
0 Replies

justretta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:32 pm
Yes, it is true... no public transportation.... it's pretty boring in this town. Not very exciting from my point of view, although, it might be because I don't really know anybody here.
0 Replies