Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:20 pm
I've a bias here, I like Renzo Piano's work. So, argue with me...

Here's the link -

http://www.archpaper.com/features/2007_12_bold_print.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,177 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:46 pm
Ah, me.

I miss the days when all newsrooms looked more or less the same, when the ashtrays overflowed with cigar and ciagrette butts, the typewriters were all manual (not electric and PCs hadn't gone on the market yet or even been invented), when you banged out your story on newsprint foolscap and then pasted the pages together end-on-end like a long roll of paper towels and the lobby of the building reminded you of nothing so much as a residential hotel lobby in a very seedy hotel in a very seedy neighborhood. Copy boys (later on they were 'copy persons' and weren't even called that; they were called 'interns') would bring you tepid coffee, if you asked them nicely, and gather up the literary gems you had put in your 'OUT' basket. Phones would ring constantly and sometimes someone would even answer one of them. Teletypes (they're obsolete now) clicked incessantly, streaming news from all over the world. From the sidewalk you could tell it was a newspaper office by all the latest bulletins being posted on billboards in a front window. Nowadays newspaper offices all look like the corporate headquarters of a multinational conglomerate (which some of them actually are).

I miss the good ole days.

But that's just me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 12:19 am
I get that, MA, and can see hating this for that reason...

me, i've worked in places with slop covered walls.

But, hey, this is NY. You want they should plasticize the offices for another hundred years??

My own reaction is about the color(s). I like the color.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 01:10 am
ossobuco
I looked at the pictures quite a few times. I like the color red but I don't like the color they used. It just seems too red. I think I would like it more if they used a different shade of red.

Edit: After looking again at the photos maybe it is the lighting on the red I don't like. I do like the red on the walls. The other areas of red almost seem shiny or fluorescent. I don't like the red carpet in the cafeteria though.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 05:10 am
Oh, I don't hate the building, Osso. As architecture it's fine. Only thing that bothers me is that this is a newspaper office. Had I looked at the pictures w/o the captions, I'd have guessed an upscale hotel or a department store. Or -- as I said in my previous post -- the corporate office of a large conglomerate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 07:45 am
I like it!

Love the red, love the lobby. I like the details like round tables to encourage sociability and the insistence on garden views (and the fact that rain water will go to the garden).
0 Replies