How do I know when it's time to put my dog down?

BeJ

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:00 pm
Bootsie is my 18 year old female lasa-poodle mix. I've had her since she was born in 1989 and she has been the smartest, cutest, most lovable, well behaved pup anyone could ever want. Bootsie was never left behind...she traveled with my husband, myself and our two children. She loved going camping, running on the beach, bounding through the snow! For the past year Bootsie has been slowing down...the vet tells me that she can't hear, doesn't see much at all, he teeth are bad (she had dental work all through her life and most of her teeth are missing). She has arthritis in her back lets and sometimes they give out on her. It has been years since she could jump up on the bed. She still has a healthy appetite however she is mostly skin and bones--only weighed in at 9 lbs today--she was always around 13 lbs. She drinks endlessly and wets uncontrolably.
Obviously everyone tells me I should put her down because she has no quality of life. But I just can't bring myself to do it. Today I brought her to the vet to get his opinion. He checked her over and said her heart was strong and she didn't seem to be in any pain although she her back legs are very weak. Of course, he wouldn't tell me to put her down but told me he wouldn't discourage it.
He told me exactly what to expect--he would give her a shot to put her into a calm almost sleeping state and then insert an IV and administer the drug to stop her heart. I could hold her and comfort her the whole time. I told him I hoped she would just pass in her sleep one night and he said that almost never happens.
Do I come to terms with this and put her down? Or do I wait until she gets so bad that she really is suffering? I'm having a very hard time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,150 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:15 pm
BeJ
I'm so sorry you're going through this. As someone who loves animals more than people, my heart goes out to you.
Personally, I wouldn't put a pet down that wasn't sick, in pain or dangerous in some way, but that's me.
As someone who obviously loves Bootsie very much, I think you'll just know when the time is right.

My best to you both.

Welcome to A2K BeJ
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:26 pm
Well, I'm in about the same place on this as you, with my loved dog, and another long time poster had to put her dog Bootsie down not all so long ago, and talked about it here on a2k.

I am trying to figure out whether to go for one of those cart things or act fairly soon. The cart things are no simple answer at my house. My inclination is not to go there, but then that means I have to act, as I can't carry a 40 pound dog several times a day.

It is a quandary, whether one is prolonging the inevitable for oneself and not the dog. No one can instruct you, really, and people will have various opinions, some of them expressed strongly. Different people have different lines that they might say to themselves, that's it. In any case, it should be about the dog suffering, and alleviating it. The hard question is the exact 'when'.

Anyway, sympathy to you with your decision.

I'll add that some friends who have been through this make a little ceremony out of it. Well, not so much ceremony, as take the dog to a favorite place for a kind of good bye time. Makes me cry to think about it, but it seems like a good idea for me, to me.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:38 pm
I"m sorry. It is not an easy decision.

Up until the moment I called the vet to make a that-day appointment to put my cat down, I wasn't sure if it was right. I had doubts. I didn't want to do it.

My cat was old, and was reasonably healthy with a high quality of life, until she got ill. Then, in a week, she got very very ill very quickly.

When I took her to the vet initially, to look at a lump, the doc told me basically that she was coming to the end of her life. Interally she was a mess, it all came down on her fast. There were 'treatments', but, it would basically be prolonging a life well lived and she would continue to decline.
Read: pain killers.
She was old and sick. As much as I didn't want that to be so, as much as I wished to not ever to say good-bye : I had to.

I kept her at home, and even took nights off work to watch over her in that week. She was steady, but not getting better.
I made the decision: see if she gets over this 'hump' (every winter she would get sick, but, usually recover, and I was staying optimistic this time too). If she were to die, I would be there.

However, she did not get better. She stayed the same.

And then one day she could not walk. I watched her, in horrible pain this time, trying desperately to get to me - and she couldn't. She made these little noises, even the move into my arms didn't feel good to her.
She had lost too much weight, lost her coordination, lost her appetite (she was always a big eater), lost her ability to even breathe without struggle.

That broke my heart. That was 'it' for me. I called and was there that day.
I still didn't want to....but I wanted peace for her more than I wanted her here.

I share this story to let you know that no matter what you decide: it will be hard.
Yeah I know this is obvious, but it's true, there is no way to make it easier, and the only thing to do is what is best for Bootsie and you.

My girl was purring, with me petting her as she left. I feel she knew. And she left feeling loved and adored (which she was).

When you are ready, you will know. It does become one day at a time.

For me, I determined that the moment I knew keeping her here was more for me than for her, I would do it, was the one thing that pushed me truly to make that call.

I admit, I also had talks with my cat about it, and that helped me say what i needed to say while she was still here.
I still miss the little snookers, but am at peace with it

I wish you peace in your decision, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:45 pm
What a few of us have had in common in these situations is that it is NOT always easy to know, if the dog is still eating and pooping and mentally alert and very glad to see you. The commonality is that our dogs have had this myelopathy thing (of various sorts) where they lose the strength in their back legs (and probably worse - someone told me all about the eventualities re the nerves).

Pacco is in trouble but still alert and full of personality. It is not fast, and the decision point is not all that precise, for some.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 09:53 pm
In the good old days, when Pacco needed to pee outside of morning and night routines, he'd put his cold nose against my calf, and I'd go open the back door. Or, he'd ring the large indian bell hanging from the back door knob. Easy.

Now he can't always get to me or the door to do that, so I have misjudged a few times and found a small lake of pee. Given that I catch him in time, he still has control. Control might be an indicator for me. Not saying it should be for you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:03 pm
BeJ - Bootsie was the name of my dog (boxer), who I put down last August. I was surprised to see her name here on a thread like the one I started.

I've been through it and I still don't know what to tell you. People will tell you that you'll know the right time when it comes. I didn't feel that I did, ever. I knew I couldn't keep up the effort I was putting into my dog. I knew I was going to be starting a new job with less flexibility in September. I guess in a sense I knew that August was the time because of all that. But, it wasn't like I looked into her eyes and knew she wanted to go or anything. In the end I was ok with the timing. I know I went above and beyond to care for her and (now it hits me!) pay her the respect she deserved for being so incredibly loyal to me. I know I hadn't really waited too long. But, with my Boo, there was and could have been a long gray area between too soon and too late.

I don't envy you. Try to come to grips with it now. Think about life without her. Appreciate life with her. Remember the good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:07 pm
I guess we said the same thing in different circumstances, flush'd. Keeping the animal here for ourselves or for itself.

I will add that my husband and I probably waited too long for one of our cats. This tempers my view now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:11 pm
LittleK carried her dog a lot, and her Bootsie wasn't small... much heftier than Pacco.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:12 pm
ossobuco wrote:
LittleK carried her dog a lot, and her Bootsie wasn't small... much heftier than Pacco.

Indeed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:18 pm
Yeh, but you're stronger.

Kidding. Well, you are stronger, but it was a big deal, especially on stairs if I remember.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 10:31 pm
Carrying a 60 pound dog up and down a flight of stairs several times a day wasn't easy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:31 am
I had a similar issue with my dog - the vet said he is very old for a dog, but otherwise healthy. Like people when they get old it is difficult to hold their bowels so we would have to run the minute he made an indication he needed to go. He was slow at walking, started getting thin, etc. It was heartbreaking as he seemed so feeble. Then one day he fell and didn't have the energy to get up - that is when we decided to put him down. Like every one else said it isn't easy - but it was so painful to see him even incapable of getting up that was the line for us.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 11:38 am
I just posted this the other day on a different thread .... hope it helps.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 01:19 pm
Re: How do I know when it's time to put my dog down?
BeJ wrote:
Bootsie is my 18 year old female lasa-poodle mix. I've had her since she was born in 1989 and she has been the smartest, cutest, most lovable, well behaved pup anyone could ever want. Bootsie was never left behind...she traveled with my husband, myself and our two children. She loved going camping, running on the beach, bounding through the snow! For the past year Bootsie has been slowing down...the vet tells me that she can't hear, doesn't see much at all, he teeth are bad (she had dental work all through her life and most of her teeth are missing). She has arthritis in her back lets and sometimes they give out on her. It has been years since she could jump up on the bed. She still has a healthy appetite however she is mostly skin and bones--only weighed in at 9 lbs today--she was always around 13 lbs. She drinks endlessly and wets uncontrolably.
Obviously everyone tells me I should put her down because she has no quality of life. But I just can't bring myself to do it. Today I brought her to the vet to get his opinion. He checked her over and said her heart was strong and she didn't seem to be in any pain although she her back legs are very weak. Of course, he wouldn't tell me to put her down but told me he wouldn't discourage it.
He told me exactly what to expect--he would give her a shot to put her into a calm almost sleeping state and then insert an IV and administer the drug to stop her heart. I could hold her and comfort her the whole time. I told him I hoped she would just pass in her sleep one night and he said that almost never happens.
Do I come to terms with this and put her down? Or do I wait until she gets so bad that she really is suffering? I'm having a very hard time.

At the age of 18 years, it's very likley that this little cutie will die in her sleep fairly soon. I'm against euthanizing a dog unless they're in terrible pain and have a terminal illness.
I'd let the little dog live out her life, be kind to her and give her all the love you've always given to her.

Her time will come, as will ours.

Take care.
0 Replies