A Brief Guide of the Netherlands

el pohl

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:43 am
Hello A2K'ers of the world!

In this thread, which marks my rebirth in the forums, I would like to gather information about the mysterious land of The Netherlands. Whats the social mix? Is people satisfied with its government? Does it have a queen, and... is she hot? Speaking of hot, what's the climate like? Can you listen to Shakira in the airwaves? PSV or Ajax?

And finally... what do we know of Vlissingen?

Thanks all! Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,548 • Replies: 10
No top replies

el pohl

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 02:23 pm
And any opinions about Hoogeschool Zeeland will also be really appreciated... Sad
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:05 pm
... cause I'm going there in 3 months. Help!!! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 10:11 pm
G'day el_pohl

I hate to disappoint you but there is no town or city called Hoogeschool in Zeeland.

You don't mean you're going to attend "High School" in Zeeland? There is a Dutch word for that namely "Hogeschool"

Trust you will enjoy your visit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 11:41 pm
Obviously "Hogeschool Zeeland".

I've been in Zeeland a couple of times (though not really at those places, dominated by German tourists :wink: ).

Can't say anything about this hogeschool - we university had ages back some students from the Hogeschool Gelderland (now Hogeschool van Anrheim and Nijmwegen).
So I taught some Dutch students ... in German and in Germany :wink:
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 12:52 pm
Yes, thats the school allright. I have like a zillion questions about Netherlands, but for the geo-demographical I can consult Wikipedia.

What are the problems that the society faces? Organized crime? Poverty? Old people? How are the relationships with the neighbor countries? Is it true that germans and dutches have issues between them? What can a foreign person expect upon introduction?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 01:21 pm
I don't think any of those topics you named are different to any other European country, genarlly spoken.

Besides the differences between the Netherlands and Germany ...

... re FOOTBALL. :wink:

Expatica might be a helpful source as well/perhaps.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 02:00 pm
WELCOME TO THE NETHERLANDS !

el_pohl :
the above link should give you plenty of information about the netherlands and its people .
hbg

it's best accessed by "right click and 'open in new window' "
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 03:37 pm
Hi el_pohl

You may want to tune in to the following site which will keep you informed about current news etc. in the Netherlands. The site broadcasts in English.
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:03 pm
Woah! Thanks for that link! I was away for a while but I'm sure it will help me out.

I'm at the moment on which I should be looking for housing in Vlissingen. L'escaut Woonservice has a partnership with the school and offers 2 types of shared apartments: $285.00 and $320.00. The buildings are situated one beside the other one, and each apartment consists of a kitchen (no washer/dryer), living room (TV + Internet), 1 bathroom and 2 bedrooms (with a closet, a bed, a desk, and a lamp). The dimensions vary slightly. 2KM from school, place to park bikes.

Do you consider this a good price? I thought it would be more expensive, but... well, you tell me.

Another thing. I'm very clumsy in the kitchen Embarrassed and would definitely like to live in a place where students have some assistant person that takes care of the clothes, cleaning, and cooking. We have that concept here in Mexico, so what real estate agencies or on what website could I find something of that order?

Thanks so much,

Paul.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:23 pm
Hi Paul

I would love to help you with that information but unfortunately I can't, you see I live in Australia and have no connection with the Netherlands as such.

Dutchy.
0 Replies