Town of same name all 50 states USA

kev

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:01 pm
Not sure where to put this.

I am told there is one and only one town/city name common to all 50 American states. Can you tell me please what it is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 23,957 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:07 pm
You may have been misinformed, or maybe not. At all events, according to this page at Wikipedia, Franklin is the most common name for a town in the United States and all of its territories and dependencies--but that is only in 26 such states. No town name is listed for all fifty states.

It has long been a commonly accepted but false chestnut that the name Springfield occurs in every state. However, the linked Wikipedia page shows that to be teh case in one 17 states.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:07 pm
I wonder if it's Washington or has anything to do with Washington. More states have a Washington County than any other shared name, so I suppose it's plausible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
Once again, as with Springfield, Wikipedia reports 17 states with a town named Washington.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:26 pm
Someone had done some really nice work here ... and gets some different result(s) than Wiki (and it's not Washington :wink: ).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:29 pm
Wkipedia cites the United States Census Bureau . . . your boy seems to be a self-established authority. I'll stick with Wikipedia until i see what can be considered a more reliable source.

Additionally, your source refers to place names, whereas Wikipedia refers to the names of towns, which was the burden of the original question.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:30 pm
Setanta - I don't know how correct this list is - Clinton is listed as number two. I know for a fact that there is a Clinton Mass, but none is listed. I believe this only lists cities which would not include towns, villages, etc. So if you would to look at towns also, the results would be different.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:32 pm
You may be correct in that, Linkat . . . but i still find Walter's linked page dubious, as it does not cite a source or sources for its data.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
Actually Springfield is found in 34 states, but in PA it is used at least 9 times (in various forms). Other more common place names are: Fairway, Midway and Oak Grove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:28 pm
I've heard this one before and am told that it's:

Greenville. Guess I'll be lookin' for justification of that now! Anyone?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:39 pm
there is a town at the east entrance to Glenwood Canyon in Colorado named "no-name" which is just down river from "Bob's Bridge" I suppose every state has a "no-name" of one sort or another.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:39 pm
I thought it was probably bumf*ck
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:44 pm
In both Hungary and Russia you have at least one town thats named simply for how far it is from the city. Eg, Hatvan ("Sixty") is sixty kilometres from Budapest. Do you have that?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:46 pm
We have that here with streets, but not with towns that I'm aware of, nimh.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
Quote:
Riverside has the most occurrences in the States of the U.S. at 186 occurrences found in 46 States with only Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, and Oklahoma without a community named Riverside.

This is according to the USGS government.
http://geonames.usgs.gov/faqs.html#13
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:55 pm
That's absolutely fascinating Cal.

It is so very kind of you to take all this trouble to improve our knowledge.

I really am very grateful.

If I was in charge of Oklahoma I would do something about that.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
What a brilliant topic of conversation to return to, no wonder I never feel home sick on my travels.

How does one gain entry to such a club as this?
If Oxford, Cambridge or even Madsonic degrees are required, I am afraid to say I would not be eligible, I wonder if my old friend Spendi would put a word in for me?

I trust none of the other members would be so cruel as to blackball me.

How many times would one find Manchester in the US of A?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
All of your questions have the same answer - why bother?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 02:44 pm
I enjoy your irate tongue Lez xx
0 Replies

mary101

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 08:13 am
the most common names of city and towns
i kinda think that it is milton... there r alot of them!! Cool
0 Replies