Teaching someone basic internet skills.

Chai

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm about to kill my husband.

A few weeks back, we finally got access at home. I was very excited for the wolverine because I just knew after a few 'how to's' he'd be searching for all kinds of stuff that interests him. Also, I thought some of the conversations I have with him that involve something from the internet would make more sense to him. i.e. "What do you mean you 'went' somewhere"

No crime in having absolutely no computer experience.

I thought about how I thought others various computer skills and decided on a teaching plan. Which I explained to him prior to lesson one.

First, I just opened up a program like excel or word and went over each icon, so he would start to get familiar with the look and feel.

I showed him mouse basics, scrolling clicking etc.

It'd been years since he typed so I encouraged him to go into Word and practice typing, and going into excel so he could practice moving the mouse and clicking on different cell. I discovered he has this really "Heavy" hand with the mouse, and would often click without realizing he was doing it. I kept reminding him to handle the mouse gently, like a beautiful woman. Cool

Then, showed him how to get onto both Internet Explorer, and how to get into his email and check any email.....I would email him from work, so he would have stuff to practice with.

I showed him Yahoo and how he could type into the search line what he wanted to look for, and encouraged him to type in something very innocuous, like blueberry pie receipes, so he could get the hang of surfing.

In other words, I tried to break it down into the most basic stuff. Not trying to explain various search engines, attaching, downloading or any of that. I encouraged him to take notes.

Okaaaaaaay......

Each time we sit down, it's like a brand new day. I'll say "Let's check your email"

him: OK (doesn't make a move)
me: remember I said to click "here"?
him: Oh yeah.
me: remember, you click "here" every time you want to go on the internet. This is the place that will get you on....

long pause.....

me: ok then, you need to actually click there.....you know, maybe you should make notes.
OK, so he checks his emails.....with every message saying "ok, now what"

me: What is it you'd like to do?
him: I want to get rid of this motherf*cker!
me: So you want to delete it.
him: yea
me: wellllll........<him not doing anything> see that button that says delete?

and so forth....

On yahoo, he has it in his head somehow that he wants to find a store in Austin that sells recurve bows....so, he refuses to try to search anything that doesn't involve the words recurve bow and austin.

me: why don't you try "archery stores austin"
him: because I want a recurve bow
me: well, they may not specifically mention recurve bows on their site. They can't name every product they sell.
him: well they should!

me: ok honey.....look up....pomeranian breeding clubs......hot sexy girls......something!

Finally, this morning I lost it.

Why are you being so obstinant Mad There are about 3 things I keep saying to do! Mad Click, scroll and type Mad click scroll and type Mad

I told him I can't answer every specific question he has (what does this little area mean? I DON'T know, click on it and see!) because the internet is so general and you just have to kind of try things out.

Anyway...I left the room to cool down, and he stayed to do something. I looked in 5 minutes later, and he was still looking at the same screen, like he had to memorize what was there.

Once, I showed him this really funny thread on A2K and said, "here, read this it's really funny, keep scrolling to the bottom"

I stood there while he read, until I started thinking....what's taking so long....finally I asked..."baby, you're not reading every single thing on the screen, like the ads, signatures, how many times someone has posted, are you?"

"yeah, I am"

I know, I know, this has turned into a rant. But I am just so frustrated. I've actually come to tears and said to him...You're making this so much harder than it is!

I've explained to just scan stuff like you do a magazine page, etc. etc.

He saw one of those stupid "learn the computer at home" disks on TV and asked me about that. I said that it would be exactly what I was showing him....icons, links, etc. Plus, even if he bought one, he wouldn't put it in and do it.

I understand people have different ways of learning....but I have taught bunches of people stuff and have never run into something like this.

He does want to learn, it's not that. But he keeps trying to make this into a one size fits all thing. He's not scared of it either. I really don't know what it is.

Oh! he asked me....how to I find ebay?
Well, you could search for it, or since most websites use the name of their business as their address, what do you think ebays address would be?

him: I don't know that's why I'm asking.

OK - I've looked around a little to find internet basics on line, but so far come up with sites that get to much into the jargon. I need a quick down and dirty...."this is how you look something up" type of thing I can print out for him.

I suppose I could write this on my own, but I have a feeling something someone else did would carry more authority.

Thanks for listening. I'm very frustrated right now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 7,336 • Replies: 43
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:50 pm
Ha!

I used to teach beginning (as in, never-touched-a-computer-before) computer classes. First thing I'd do is set them up with Paint.

A lot of people are worried about "breaking" the computer... doing something irrevocable and bad. Paint is a nice, intuitive, harmless program, where they can just go hog-wild and experiement without worrying about "breaking" anything.

Almost all the general concepts they'll need are there, in a nice, low-pressure, low-risk environment.

Then I'd build on that. But the first step was to get them un-scared and just exploring/ experimenting on their own.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 01:55 pm
In terms of "I need a quick down and dirty...."this is how you look something up" type of thing I can print out for him," have you seen this?

http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:00 pm
Chai tea, Your husband sounds like me.

Have you ever seen that scene in "2001 space odyessy" where the cavemen first see the monolith???

That blank look on your husbands face is his brain as he looks at the computer screen is him thinking "what the hell am i looking at" in a Homer simpson caveman way (could be a week long process). You talking to him while he is trying to comprehend what he is seeing is just kind of a mumble like when the adults talk in the Peanuts cartoons.

Don't forget. Men are singal task and Women are multi-task.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:10 pm
I've seen women react that way, too, though. I'm still talking my mom through stuff I think is obvious (and she started learning how to use the computer + Internet something like 7 years ago...)

(And I'm still being talked through stuff that people who know more than me think is obvious...)

It's just a completely different way of thinking, and those of us who have been using the computer for a long time sometimes forget how much we assume, how much terminology we've internalized and has become "duh...!"

That's why it worked really well to start people on something finite and easy -- mastering Paint taught all kinds of specific skills (scrolling, how to handle a mouse, how to click and double-click, how to hide a menu, etc., etc., etc.) but also focused things and kept out the "there is so much to learn!!!!" panic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:16 pm
Perhaps a book... I hesitate to mention the Dummy books, they're a tad hard to suggest to someone. Better if the person runs across them in a store on his own. I happen to hate them, too cutesy, insulting, and so on, but.. having the "directions" in print seems to help some people.

I was filled with computer fright myself when I started, heh, not without good reason. Did I tell you about always getting a plaid screen...

Adults can be touchy about being shown things too.
There's that, and also what Amigo is talking about, the "what the hell am I looking at" thing.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:40 pm
You could:

A. E-mail him naught pictures.
B. Show him Google image search....
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 02:42 pm
sozobe wrote:
Ha!

I used to teach beginning (as in, never-touched-a-computer-before) computer classes. First thing I'd do is set them up with Paint.

A lot of people are worried about "breaking" the computer... doing something irrevocable and bad. Paint is a nice, intuitive, harmless program, where they can just go hog-wild and experiement without worrying about "breaking" anything.

Almost all the general concepts they'll need are there, in a nice, low-pressure, low-risk environment.

Then I'd build on that. But the first step was to get them un-scared and just exploring/ experimenting on their own.
I think this is the best advice flat out.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:15 pm
About 4 1/2 years ago I finally broke down and bought a computer. My son came for an hour, set it up and showed me the basics.

Until that day I had never touched a PC mouse or a keyboard. He left and I slowly learned everything I know about PCs by myself.

Obviously I am still learning, but I chat with people (in several languages) all over the world, have built a music and a picture library.

Something wrong with your 'wonderful' man. I think he does not want to use a computer.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:28 pm
Thanks everybody

I leave the room for him to play….and in 2 or 3 minutes he calls…"chai?" I go in there and he's exactly where I left him. I've said to him…."Just click on SOMETHING okay?"

Oh, and another thing, when he does click on something when I'm not there…I'll come in and see him reading the legal disclaimer of a site or something…..I'll ask him, "what's that?"

I don't know….some information

That was the other time I lost it…"YOU DON'T NEED TO READ THE LEGAL DISCLAIMER! NO ONE EVER EVEN CLICKS ON THE LEGAL DISCLAIMER! WHY ARE YOU READING THE LEGAL DISCLAIMER!"

I was telling a co-worker about how great it was the first time I sat him down. I said it was funny how you realized how simple things you take for granted could be a big question mark if you haven't done it. Actually a good learning experience for the teacher, keeping it fresh.
My co-worker said yeah, it's funny how in less than a week he'll be doing all sorts of stuff.

He still doesn't get how to login to check emails…he'll put in his login name (after telling him to click in that area so he can type. Then he'll sit there until I ask. "Well, what now? What's it asking for?

Him: You mean what's it say under log in? It says "remember me at this login"
Me: yes, don't worry about that. What else does it say?
Him: Password.
Me: well……
Him: OK, what do I do so I can type there?

If it were anyone else, I swear I'd think he was jerking me around. But he's not, he just wouldn't do that.

I'm sitting here now knowing I'm making him sound like he's retarded, I'm just so frustrated. I thought there would be one of those A-ha moments. Like "oh, this is pretty easy"

It's just each step seems to bear no relationship to the next. Honestly, I'm sitting here starting to cry. How many times can you say…click, scroll, click, what do you what to do?, before you want to scream.

I've walked away from it. Tried different methods….I just don't know what to do.

Tell me about your first internet computer experience….maybe I'll get something from that.

Anyone else out there that just recently picked up on computer skills that can remember what make it click for you?

Osso - I already advised him to get a dummies book. He know it's not really for dummies.

DrewDad - the first night I was showing him around, I actually did pull up some "naughty" material...thinking that'd spark his interest....and also showed him how to image....I'm sure he doesn't even recall that part. I send him joke emails and when he goes to read them....I realize he's reading the to line the from line, the date, time, any codes....like he thinks he must read every single word, like when I tried to get him to read posts here....

Well....Actually he just came back from running an errand and I showed him everyone's suggestions so far. I said "see they're all saying the same stuff I've been showing you"

Anyway, I vented my frustration and said that really, he was making this harder than it is. You all know I love him more than anything, but nothing else he's ever done has frustrated me so much.

I think maybe it's the type of thing that a mother will tell her kid to do something and they ignore her....their friends mom says the same thing and she's gold.

Still....what made it come together for you?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:31 pm
Does he poop all by himself?

Sorry...but that sounds just painful. I've never seen anyone THAT bad at learning how to use the internet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:43 pm
What I mean about letting him play with Paint is make him figure it out. Set it up for him initially, then just leave him to it. Don't answer questions, make him push the buttons and make things happen himself.

Paint is good for that, because it's harmless/ not much he can do.

Part of the meta-lesson is just for him to figure out how to figure this stuff out, on his own.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 03:58 pm
Chai tea, Be careful you could easily give your husband an infeiority complex when it comes to computers.

How do you force discovery? I say let him discover at his own rate. If he wants to read legal disclaimers...what hell let him read legal disclaimers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:04 pm
sozobe wrote:
What I mean about letting him play with Paint is make him figure it out. Set it up for him initially, then just leave him to it. Don't answer questions, make him push the buttons and make things happen himself.

Paint is good for that, because it's harmless/ not much he can do.

Part of the meta-lesson is just for him to figure out how to figure this stuff out, on his own.

I meant to add that into my last post Soz, no he wouldn't go for Paint..If he can't see the point in it.....and actually, I know he wouldn't think that's fun at all. I wouldn't, that's for sure.

That was why I put him in excel, telling him to click on cells, and word so he can practice.

Slappy - You are absolutley correct. This is very painful. He actually understands that you can do all sorts of stuff, like pay bills, research, have fun. It is truly like he's being some kind of spaz. That's showing you how bad it is...I can't believe I called him a spaz in front of everyone, but I just can't delete it. It's that bad.

Actually - maybe that conversation I mentioned above will have some impact. Perhaps it's a matter that I'm just too close to him and he's assuming I don't know the best way to teach it. There are some things, like spactial stuff and hand/eye coordination that you would seriously think I have an IQ of 62. So maybe he's thinking of me in that light with this.

oh.....detano......if you ever even breath the wrong way regarding saying anything negative about my husband.....I will come and rip your ******* head off. He is more of a man than you can ever imagine being. I would lay down my life for him at any second.

I can ignore the repeated feeble attempts you make as put downs on me, but I am being very clear with you right now.....My loved ones are off bounds....and you are out of line.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:05 pm
Amigo wrote:
Chai tea, Be careful you could easily give your husband an infeiority complex when it comes to computers.

How do you force discovery? I say let him discover at his own rate. If he wants to read legal disclaimers...what hell let him read legal disclaimers.

Yeah, I do agree about the disclaimers actually....it's just so aaarrggg.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:09 pm
Does he want to be doing this, Chai?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
Excel is evil! It's not intuitive at all.

This is a technique I've actually used on a lot of people, who didn't always see the point but went ahead with it, and it really worked.

I dunno, they knew they were in a classroom environment and that they wanted/ needed to learn these skills, maybe that motivation is different enough that it wouldn't work here.

Trying to think of how I'd handle it. I'd probably say something like, "I know you can figure this stuff out, it's just that there are basics you haven't learned yet. Once you learn the basics, you can apply it to anything you want. This program has almost all the basics, and not much you can do wrong. Go nutty -- but don't ask me any questions. See what you can figure out on your own. When you've [made a house, whatever], we'll go to the next step."

Personally, I avoid teaching my husband anything in that way (or having him teach me) because what's standard and effective teacher-student interaction often is too fraught when it's spouse-spouse interaction.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:12 pm
There is that. I'm assuming he wants to, but it's an important question.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 04:20 pm
This is what I said:
Something wrong with your 'wonderful' man. I think he does not want to use a computer.
This is what you said:
oh.....detano......if you ever even breath the wrong way regarding saying anything negative about my husband.....I will come and rip your **** head off. He is more of a man than you can ever imagine being. I would lay down my life for him at any second.
I can ignore the repeated feeble attempts you make as put downs on me, but I am being very clear with you right now.....My loved ones are off bounds....and you are out of line.
You are overreacting.

You have described your husband in minute and embarrassing detail. I have suggested that he might not feel like learning computer skills.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 05:12 pm
Chai- Show him how to get to www.refdesk.com If that won't pique his interest in web surfing, nothing will!

My husband seems to know how to surf his financial stuff, but anything else, he throws at me. We have the internet for about 7 years, and I had never used one before.
0 Replies